Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Another S&W internal lock question.

Purchased a S&W 360 recently. Love it. It's my first Smith with the dreaded lock, which didn't really bother me but I guess would always be somewhere in the back of my mind. I was looking at the youtube vids of how to take it out and figured I'd give it a shot. Was really painless, took all of 15 mins. My question is that there's a lot of talk that it voids the Warranty if you remove the lock, anybody know this for sure? I just removed the "flag" part and kept it so I should be able to put it back if needed. I mainly want to know of any first hand experiences of people who have removed the lock and sent it back for warranty work.

It's a Smith and hopefully I'll never need repairs, but just would like to know.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Another S&W internal lock question.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Purchased a S&W 360 recently. Love it. It's my first Smith with the dreaded lock, which didn't really bother me but I guess would always be somewhere in the back of my mind. I was looking at the youtube vids of how to take it out and figured I'd give it a shot. Was really painless, took all of 15 mins. My question is that there's a lot of talk that it voids the Warranty if you remove the lock, anybody know this for sure? I just removed the "flag" part and kept it so I should be able to put it back if needed. I mainly want to know of any first hand experiences of people who have removed the lock and sent it back for warranty work.

It's a Smith and hopefully I'll never need repairs, but just would like to know.
    You're disabeling a 'safety' feature. So I'm 99.9999% sure it's going to void your warranty. I've never had any problems with the lock on my 686.

You might want to pick up a spare pawl spring or 2. That's the only thing that's given me any problems with any of my S&W's.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Another S&W internal lock question.

Many folks have returned their guns to S&W for warranty service after removing or disabling the lock. S&W returns the gun with new lock pieces installed and (if such exist) your old modified pieces in a bag.