Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club

So I went back to Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club this afternoon... and I have to say, it's actually fairly nice despite the run-down appearance.

I took Roj with me, and we both brought our Mossberg 500's. This was the first time I'd actually had mine at a range, so it was an experience!

Between myself and Roj we went through about 100 rounds of shot - most in the target bunker and about 25 rounds shooting skeet. (And I'll tell you, #7 Birdshot, unchoked out of an 18" barrel makes for... interesting skeet shooting!)

Very much worth the $12! (I was nice and paid $6 for each of us, even though they didn't indicate such)

As we were getting ready to leave, a couple other shooters showed up at one of the pistol bunkers. I can't remember their names, but one of them said he knew the site. Other then them, Roj and I were there alone.

I took some pictures today, but they didn't turn out the way I would have liked. I'm going to wait until a sunny day (And things green up a bit) before I take more pictures.

GPGC is located at 920 King Rd Bulger, PA 15019 - N40° 26' 45.04", W80° 19' 34.38"
    Last edited by lildobe; March 28th, 2008 at 11:18 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club

It was definitely a decent range. I can't wait to fire a rifle on that nice 400M stretch of range!

(Allegheny County)

they are open again!!! sweet

do they still buy sell and rent guns? tex was one hell of a dealer he gave going prices when he bought and sold never got ripped off

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by reeldeal762 View Post
    they are open again!!! sweet

do they still buy sell and rent guns? tex was one hell of a dealer he gave going prices when he bought and sold never got ripped off
    Um, yeah they were open, but not anymore. For all the new info, including the newspaper article from yesterday, read through this thread: Greater Pitt Gun Club news letter
    I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. -- Susan B. Anthony, July 1871

(Allegheny County)

Hey, I go up there. By the way, anyone want to join our little SCCC Group Shoot On Aug 2nd? Planning to get a few people and have some fun there (Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club) ~ noon-whenever really!?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
    Hey, I go up there. By the way, anyone want to join our little SCCC Group Shoot On Aug 2nd? Planning to get a few people and have some fun there (Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club) ~ noon-whenever really!?

Better check before you go out. I have been advised Tex has been busted again ... felon in possession. That's what the most recent police action at that club was about.

Slow learner.

It is not clear to me what effect this will have upon operation of that club.

(Allegheny County)

yeah, unfortunately, i'd be surprised if GPGC is open again any time in the forseeable future. this time, it wasn't just tex that got busted and it wasn't just for firearms violations.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/...brief-MUST-RUN

Multiple charges
    7/10/08

Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, assisted by McDonald police, arrested Joseph Donald "Tex" Freund, 56, owner of Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club, 920 King Road, Robinson Township, Allegheny County, and charged him with possession of a firearm and ammunition by a convicted felon on Wednesday.

Freund was taken by ATF agents for arraignment before a federal magistrate in Allegheny County, and was placed in Allegheny County Jail.

McDonald police also arrested Timothy Staub, 27, manager of the gun club, and his wife, Kimberly Staub, 27, after drugs reportedly were found at the business. The two were charged with possession, possession with intent to deliver and paraphernalia.

McDonald police Chief Mark Dorsey said the pair also were charged with endangering the welfare of children and recklessly endangering another person because they admitted to smoking drugs while their 1- and 2-year-old children were in the club where the Staubs and Freund live.

Timothy and Kimberly Staub were scheduled to be arraigned by video before District Justice Larry Hopkins at midnight Wednesday.
    frankly, after all of this, i'm not sure i would want to go there even if it does re-open. i'd be too afraid i'd end up on some government list.

(Allegheny County)

Ah yea, I called them. They are closed. Anyone know any range other than Wexford that allows public access? Thanks!!