Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default red dot for a buckmark

Hi Guys,
    Planning on purchasing a Buckmark Contour 5.5 URX as soon as my "permit to purchase" is available.
    Want to put a red dot on it, any suggestions. Not too overly expensive. Mainly going to be for range use (probably up to 75yds).
    Something easy enough for my wife to use. She doesnt like my Glock 9mm or my XD 45. Maybe she will enjoy shooting with a 22 if she can hit her target!
    There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
    -- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: red dot for a buckmark

I use a Bushnell Trophy on my Ruger Mark 3 and I have no complaints what so ever. I don't remember how much I paid for it but it was under $100 and it came with a sun shade and a UV filter. A word to the wise though a steady hand is needed when using a red dot and can frustrate a new shooter, That little red dot shows every little quiver your hand makes..

(Luzerne County)

I have this unit --> http://www.opticsplanet.net/atncultrasight.html on a S&W 22a (similar to your Buckmark) and absolutely LOVE it. For me, I can shoot much more accurately than the opens (which was quite accurate to start with) and can shoot very rapidly while maintaing accuracy as well.

I use either the large ring with small dot in center or the cross/plex with dot. The large portion gets me on target fast without "searching" for the dot and the dot is for precision. Works very well for me.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Luzerne County)

"permit to purchase" what does that entail? How long does it take for approval? Is this only for hand guns?

(Luzerne County)

permit to purchase = approval from wife j/k

I know NJ has some crazy gun and ammo laws but I am not to familar with them.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

I have owned several for use on our game guns. Save your money and buy the Aimpoint that suits you. I still have the original Aimpoint that I bought when they first started. It has been used on everything from a .44mag to a .338 and .22. Most of the cheaper dots have given up the ghost. The bottom end dots will probably do on a .22 but will not last. The least expensive one that seems to work for me is the Tasco PDP3.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    "permit to purchase" what does that entail? How long does it take for approval? Is this only for hand guns?
    In Jersey, you have to apply & get approved to purchase a handgun. After you apply & get a "Firearms ID card".
    To purchase a handgun you will always need a "permit to purchase". And you have to use them within 90 days (you can ask for a 90 day extension, which needs to be approved).
    Supposedly there is no limit to the "PTP" you can get but that remains to be seen.But nevertheless you will always have to wait to get it to purchase a handgun. And by the way...you can only purchase in NJ with it( or have it sent to a NJ FFL)
    There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
    -- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997