Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NICS DENIAL

Default NICS DENIAL

Folks,

hoping you all can share some info. I am a PA resident, have purchased 8 firearms the past year or so as well as obtained a ccw. I went to cabela's in Wheeling WV yesterday to purchase a long gun that they had in stock and was denied by NICS !!!!!!

Obviously that is disconcerting to say the least. I'm appealing this with the online process. Any input as to why this happened ? I did not list my SS # but I purchased a 1911 on Friday in PA.

Thank you for any input. Also, I'm not a felon, child molester or anything else, just an outspoken 2nd amendment American ! Hope that isn't being held against me.

Thank you for any input.
    Last edited by rangeofficer; January 28th, 2013 at 05:20 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: NICS DENIAL

There is NO REASON that you should have been denied! Any person that has a cwp should have no problem with instacheck. (other than the waiting to get processed) Maybe someone has a similar name/dob near that Cabellas that would have a problem?? I would definately check into it more, you dont want to have this happen again.
    GUN CONTROL IS A STEADY HAND

(Allegheny County)

I think not listing your SSN might have put a delay on your approval. Maybe Cabelas just viewed the delay as a rejection.

A few years back a friend of mine did not put his SSN on a NICS check it he got delayed. It evenually wnet through and they sent him the rifle.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

Thanks BIGDAWG & Koli ! I haven't been able to get my mind off of this, couldn't sleep last night. Just wondering if the clerk might have done something incorrectly. He was a bit of a jerk because we complained he wasn't moving the check out line quickly at all as it was nearly closing time. He had a real attitude. Needless to say I already appealed it on line and waiting for feedback from the appeals dept.

I'm half temtped to send a certified letter to Cabela's Corporate HQ to let them know they have a rude and not so Customer friendly employee working at this location. Just wondering if he was being vindictive and could have entered info of some sort that would cause this. I will wait to do this once I get feedback on the online appeal.
    Last edited by rangeofficer; January 28th, 2013 at 05:22 PM.

(Lawrence County)

I never put my SS down and I've been run twice in the last week with no problems so I doubt it has anything to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I never put my SS down and I've been run twice in the last week with no problems so I doubt it has anything to do with that.
    I've never listed my SS # for any purchases in PA either, not even for my CCW and never had an issue. Appreciate the info Guys.
    Last edited by rangeofficer; January 28th, 2013 at 08:04 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Not putting your SSN is, of course, your right. However, as my father has the same exact name and felony convictions, I always put mine down to avoid any oopsies.

(Erie County)

I always list my SSN.

I also use a credit monitoring service to prevent information abuse, since the VA has kindly distributed my personal information a couple of times.

(Centre County)

Were you denied comletely, or put in research?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

There could be some guy with your name somewhere who had a PFA or something filed against him. Happened to a regular customer at Backwoods Outfitters - bought basically a gun every few months for 10 years, was denied suddenly on his recent purchase even when he provided a SSN.

Turns out some other guy with his name in Pittsburgh had a PFA filed against him, but the agency didn't record the offender's SSN - so all people by this name had a block on NICS. He had to prove that he wasn't this guy by providing a copy of his marriage certificate and deed to his house to get cleared.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast