Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default 1911 4 or 5 inch?

Have decided my next purchase will be a 1911. Was at the lgs and pretty much worked it down to the make/model I wanted when in walks a 4 inch higher end 1911 on a trade in. Sure felt nice in my hands but I have no experience shooting a 45 with this length of barrel. Just wondered what you people thought on the 4 vs. 5 barrel length. This is just another addition to the collection and will get shot regularly but will not be my ccw.

Default Re: 1911 4 or 5 inch?

Definitely a little easier to carry, should you ever decide to. As far as collecting, it really makes no difference except to those who only collect 5" or longer 1911's. At the range is where you may see a difference simply because some sights are harder to use on a shorter slide. The mechanical accuracy is there as long as you can get a good sight picture. In other words, if you take Novak style sights off a 5" 1911 and put them on a 4", it will be harder to get the same sight picture. The closer radius makes for larger gaps in the windows. If the sights are set up for a 4", then 'bout the only thing you have to contend with is about 40 or so FPS slower velocities out of a 4" verses a 5". It's a tough decision, yes, but there is no real good reason to not get the one you like the best, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while. JMHO
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by paptini View Post
    Have decided my next purchase will be a 1911. Was at the lgs and pretty much worked it down to the make/model I wanted when in walks a 4 inch higher end 1911 on a trade in. Sure felt nice in my hands but I have no experience shooting a 45 with this length of barrel. Just wondered what you people thought on the 4 vs. 5 barrel length. This is just I have a another addition to the collection and will get shot regularly but will not be my ccw.
    I have a few of both sizes and find my Commander length 1911s more comfortable to shoot and handle. Mine are just as accurate as the 5" pistols for all but serious compition. I think they are much more pleasing to the eye, also. They are very nicely balanced pistol in all ways. I'm sure you will be pleased.
    Last edited by Prestoked; January 27th, 2013 at 08:10 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I have both a Colt Government at 5" and a Commander at 4.25". The Commander sits on my hip daily and shoots VERY well. The Government is almost as easy to carry but shoots even better. The former is parkerized and holds its holster wear like a proud battle scar. The latter is highly blued and sure looks pretty when I shoot it.

If you aren't carrying but shooting, then the decision is easy. I do LOVE my 4.25" Commander but the 5" Government does shoot slightly better. So, which is the best ice cream? Chocolate, strawberry or vanilla? Each decision is based on personal preference.

I just looked at a pair of ATI 4" 1911's on Friday that I am considering for my second "Castor Troy" project. I like the 4" for that simply because of the more ease of carry of the 4". It is a novelty project, but I had good success with the first and see no reason why these 4 inchers won't produce the same results. If not, then I'll have 2 more identical 4" 1911's for my recent procurements.

FWTW, the ATI's felt like they are very well built considering they have cast frames. The fit of both were very, almost to the point of too, tight. Everything else on them were haphazard. Triggers were not the same and the tensions on the grip safeties were not the same. The higher end you speak of would maybe keep you from having to tune these areas so they work like they should, but that is the price you pay for inexpensive pistols.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    The higher end you speak of would maybe keep you from having to tune these areas so they work like they should, but that is the price you pay for inexpensive pistols.
    The higher end is an Ed Brown, the full size is a springfield didn't want somebody saying buy Ed Brown just because it was an Ed Brown. Respect your posts enough to tell you the whole story. The Ed Brown sure did feel good in my hand. Just wanted honest opinions on barrel length. Thanks

(Butler County)

If no intend to carry, I find the 5" more accurate. However, there are so many factors at work here that it really is up to you. I sold my commander length 1911, largely because I don't use a 1911 for carry.

(Berks County)

JMO, start big. Work your way down.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(Northampton County)

I have a 4 inch a 4.25 inch and a five inch, to me it does not matter I enjoy shooting them all. The five inch is more weight for carry but not much that I feel its worth being concerned about. The only real difference would be accuracy at 25 yards and beyond again nothing really to worry about because most carry incidents are up close and personal. For a range gun all three lengths will get the job done,for carry most people would be able to clear the holster faster with the shorter versions. I think your worst problem will be finding what you want in stock right now. Brian /EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by paptini View Post
    The higher end is an Ed Brown, the full size is a springfield didn't want somebody saying buy Ed Brown just because it was an Ed Brown. Respect your posts enough to tell you the whole story. The Ed Brown sure did feel good in my hand. Just wanted honest opinions on barrel length. Thanks
    Ha ha...I know what you mean. You'll never get that from me. I'm not an art collector, so I buy the cheap stuff and tune them to my liking, BBUUTTT, that isn't saying I won't buy a few sculptures from the famous "Ed Brown" gallery should I ever win the lotto.
    Last edited by harold63; January 28th, 2013 at 05:47 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast