Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default rifle reloading question

Hello, does anyone know if case length gauges can be used if you only neck size the brass? I will be loading for .308.

Default Re: rifle reloading question

Quote Originally Posted by dwheel View Post
    Hello, does anyone know if case length gauges can be used if you only neck size the brass? I will be loading for .308.
    If you don't know the answer to this question, then you don't need to be reloading anything. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there's a lot to reloading, and if you're doing it improperly, it can be dangerous and even lethal. Read some more, and if you still don't have the answer, some of us are happy to help.

(Lehigh County)

Are you sizing for brass YOU shot, or someone else's brass. If you do not know why there is a difference, I suggest you take Tomcat's suggestion to heart.
    Last edited by tonyfac; January 28th, 2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Hey! post #900

(Wayne County)

Brass will still stretch,I can recommend that you read the reloading manual a good one and they will give you the overall case length. When you deprime have a good dial caliper and measure each one. If its to long trim to proper length. As Tomcat said if not done right it could cost you dearly.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dwheel View Post
    The guys above covered it, but I do have a question for you, are you looking at reloading for a bolt action or a semi-auto?
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Blair County)

I’ll get my a** reamed for this, but don’t use your case length gage at all. Trimming brass is a waste of time. If neck sizing, you better be sizing brass from and for your BOLT rifle. Not from anything else nor for anything else. And, if correctly done correctly, neck sizing, your brass should NOT grow. Brass cases do not grow like grass or flow like water, they stretch to fill the chamber when fired, they stretch just ahead of the extractor rim beyond the solid head, and when full length resized the shoulder is reset at the shoulder, allowing the neck to “grow”. Neck sizing does not reset the shoulder.
    Steve

I will be neck sizing brass that was shot out of my rifle only. I will be full length sizing brass that I buy or find first, then I will neck size only. I was just curious to find out if brass that was only neck sized will fit into a case length gauge due to it being wider after being formed to my chamber. I will be loading for a Savage bolt action model 11 in .308. I am not new to reloading just new to rifle reloading.