Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Looking for other options to a gun safe/gun box.

Hello guys. First this involves one kid and kids over the house at any giving time.
    I keep my CC up and out of sight and a few more upstairs in a gun box.
    I just got my Ruger LC9 back and I would like to keep it loaded and at ready.
    Say in my dinning room or living room. I don't want to fumble with keys or locks, but with the kids I can't go under the table or on the wall route. I was thinking about a box that needed
    a good hit to open or something along the lines. So I wantede to see what you guys thought or any cool ideas out there. I have a nice arch way I could cut into which would be perfect.
    Dead center in the house and I can cover the front and back door.
    Thanks guys...

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Looking for other options to a gun safe/gun box.

I would suggest one of the fingerprint handgun safes. Place your hand on it, push a button, and the safe opens, giving you quick access to your loaded gun.

However, these get expensive, so your budget might not allow it. I know mine doesn't.

You could also experiment with hollow books (easy to make on your own) or other such plain, everyday items you could modify. I know someone that modified a stereo speaker so he could remove a small section of the back panel (if you know where the latch was) and stash a pistol in it. The speaker was right next to his recliner so it was right next to him when he was watching tv in the evenings.

Do you own or rent? If you own, there is always the "hollowed-out wall behind the picture" trick. I have even seen more elaborate versions of these built by savvy people that lock and are unlocked by a remote, barring access to anyone but the person with the remote.

The point is, be creative. If you look thoroughly enough, you will find that your home harbors many potential options.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Northampton County)

If you search google, there are clocks, shelves, vents, books etc that hide guns with easy and quick access.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm...s-in-the-home/

That has some ideas, and there are TONS more out there.

(Northampton County)

Yeah I know the sky is limit with this. I do own my home. My biggest is being safe. Not really towards my own daughter, but friends that come over. My daughter is 8 and she has firm grasp on the weapons and danger behind them. So I feel a litter better knowing I don't have to fort Knox the guns away. So I guess it's something to think about while I'm trucking down the highway.

(Northampton County)

JStem1283 very good read and really touches on what I'm thinking and looking at.
    Thank you.

(Wayne County)

How many weapons do you need to keep at the ready? If I had children over my house I would have it on my person out of sight. Second choice would be a lock box of some kind. One of the first things I bought was a gun safe.I for one did not want anyone to break into my home, steal my guns and use them in a murder or have a child find one by mistake. When my grandson comes over I wear a small 380 on my side covered. When he is old enough and knows what damage can be done he and gran pa will talk.
    Last edited by Qtrborecrazy; January 27th, 2013 at 10:56 PM.

(Luzerne County)

IMO if you have children at the house you need a locking container if the weapon is not on your person. If you want quick access, the absolute 100% best method is to carry all day every day. Aside from my safe, I keep two GunVaults in my house, one on each floor. Each one has a loaded pistol ready to go.

I would actually advise against the biometric/thumbprint locks, they are known to be unreliable. The four button keypad works great for me.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Butler County)

Carry it or lock it up. Your right to be irresponsible, but unless you really train/trust your kids and every other kid they may bring into your house, you are doing yourself a disservice not having the guns under lock and key when not on your person.

I don't have kids, but between friends and relatives they are often in my house. So, firearms are either on my person, in the bedside quick safe (gunvault) or in the big safe.
    Last edited by pyld; January 28th, 2013 at 12:22 AM.

(Venango County)

I have a deluxe gun vault and I actually travel with it.

It uses several AA batteries, but you can also get an AC/DC adaptor for it at radio shack. They make a unit with an additional shelf but that gets big.

There is an optional cable you can use in the hotel room or under your driver's seat. It will only stop an uprepared person. People with bolt cutters will only be slowed two seconds. There are holes for bolting to a wall or floor as well.

What I like is how it works:

There is a key but there are also four or five finger slots with buttons. You can program in any combo to open it.

There is an LED, when you hold two buttons down, the LED will fire green (no one touched your unit's buttons) or red (someone attempted to open it, unsuccessfully).

Also, two other buttons, when held down for three seconds (roughly) will start a count down. This sets the motion sensitive alarm. It is quite loud. It will definitely draw attention to someone who might eventually be able to steal the unit which is heavy and bulky in addition to the alarm sounding.

I even put my wallet, car keys and hotel keys in there when I sleep in the hotel. I set it up so the gun still can be drawn safely.

There are other safes as well. I have seen ones that look like you could mount them flush to a wall and then a complete drawer folds out on a spring load with the pistol in it. I have only had experience with the gun vault, however, and just mention that I have seen several other types in the stores.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Allegheny County)

When you say your home, guns and kids in the same sentence the very first investment you make is good safe. The quick access gun vault is secondary when there are children in the house especially when they are not yours.

My worst nightmare is someone stealing a gun from me and an innocent person especially a kid getting shot or even killed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast