Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (York County)

Default Re: 5.56 ammo at Dicks

Quote Originally Posted by khankewycz View Post
    Never worth it. I hated walking in that store before the hypocrisy. Just soooo... Corporate.. Setup for people who are excited by a shitty selection and like buying guns from high school kids who have no idea what they're talking about.

Gander is 9,000 times better. I also wouldn't buy any gun stuff from amazon if you can help it after they sponsered a gun buyback program.
    This, about a year ago I had a 20 minute arguement with the guy behind the counter who swore up and down that suppressors were illegal and there was no way I could possibly get one without breaking many federal laws. It started over a Remington 597 when I asked if the threaded barrel version was more expensive because it could accept a suppressor. I think he was actually going to deny me sale and call the ATF until I told him I wasn't interested in buying from someone so misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagerwolf View Post
    I would like to know what they did with their inventory (firearms). Is it sitting in some warehouse? did they sell it quietly to other retailers. secretly sold them on gun action sites through 3rd parties to make nice profit while keeping quiet?

I "love" how they are still selling the toy versions in their stores.
    This is the part of my job I really enjoy. Stealing information from employees that almost fall over themselves to give away. Like they enjoy knowing some top sekret stuff and love even more to hand it over. Anyway, since my last visit, the ARs were in the back room. I will be there tomorrow or Thursday for a *visit*, and will ask them where the ARs and 10-22's and Benellis are. My guess is still behind in the store room. Now, as a former shareholder, and an analyst, what pisses me off most about this is that the demand and supply for these items is at a major inequilibrium point, and if the store really cared about its shareholders, those items would be out of the stockroom and on the racks, and they would be advertising the F out of them, at double the previous price. Shareholders don't beg for *justice* and *equality* and *the children*, they want MONEY, PROFITS. When I open my dividend statements, it doesn't have photos of children covered in flies and little hand drawn hearts and smiley faced suns, it has MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonltz28 View Post
    (I still don't see how 7% will really hurt such a big company, but that is something else.)
    In the retail game, and even moreso in this economy, 7% off the topline is HUGE. A retailer will make SCOP (store controlled operating profit) of something like 20-30%, most likely right in the middle at 25%. That means, revenue minus cost of goods sold minus all store controlled bills like electricity and salary minus whatever they pay to *the company* for things like legal, HR, advertising, home office staff, etc, equals SCOP. Now, if you take away 7% off the topline, and say you are making like 50% gross margin on the products, that means you are taking some 14% off the bottom line. That is how a store goes bankrupt fast. Not to mention, in retail, it's all about turns and daily cash flow. If you are turning ammo fast (it's a huge high turn product, unlike say clothes, which are subject to styles and sizes and seasonality), that's great. If your ammo sits because half your normal customers stay away, that's alot of cash just sitting there, not turning and being used to buy more profitable items or seasonal items. If you don't make X profit on ammo during Q1 and Q2, you might not be able to make a full buy of your football line.

Believe me, companies, especially retailers, and even more especially publicly traded retailers, will not enjoy a boycott.

Rockledge, Abington Township, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)

Fortysix, thank you for that post. I really did not think that it would really make a difference. Now I understand.
    So If the ammo sits on the shelf twice as long than usual, they are losing money.
    Last edited by spoonltz28; January 29th, 2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Added text.
    Vice President and Board Member of Philadoptables; Friends of the Philadelphia Animal Control Shelter

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Calzonewdippingsauce View Post
    This, about a year ago I had a 20 minute arguement with the guy behind the counter who swore up and down that suppressors were illegal and there was no way I could possibly get one without breaking many federal laws. It started over a Remington 597 when I asked if the threaded barrel version was more expensive because it could accept a suppressor. I think he was actually going to deny me sale and call the ATF until I told him I wasn't interested in buying from someone so misinformed.
    What kind of store hires a dumbass that would think that?!? Seriously.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    You want serious?

I overheard a counter guy at Dunham's telling a guy "I'm not even sure how we HAVE these, because pistol grips on shotguns are illegal". (as he handed him a Mossberg off the rack to look at)

I spoke up and informed him that this was not at all the case. He almost immediately replied (and very matter-of-factly), "Well a sawed off shotgun isn't legal."

I'm not sure what that had to do with anything other than the fact that I had just corrected him and he needed to be right about something.

I then corrected him again stating that it was indeed legal to own a short barreled shotgun provided the proper paperwork was done.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    When I hear that, I just nod in agreement and walk.

I'd rather have John Q. Public keep thinking that NFA is verboten than have the ill-informed/partially informed discover that NFA is legal in PA when all the i's are crossed and t's dotted.

This is especially true these days when we hear so many "experts" anxious to blurt out anything to the Marty Griffins of the world just to show how much they "know".

Plus it takes hours to otherwise explain the whole process to these rockheads.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Westmoreland County)

10-22's were not pulled.
    Last edited by Elkerb; January 29th, 2013 at 02:54 AM.

(Armstrong County)

Marty Griffin is a total moron, IMO. No doubt he will harp on this gun issue until some gun owner commits suicide....just like the pastor he pushed over the edge. That is his style.

(York County)

I've said to hell with Dick's for years now. They have always been overpriced since day one. I try to keep away from all major retailers when it comes to buying guns. With the exception of Gander Mountain, I'll stop in there once in a blue moon mostly to kill some time and also because I can pretty much walk there in a matter of minutes.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by spoonltz28 View Post
    Fortysix, thank you for that post. I really did not think that it would really make a difference. Now I understand.
    So If the ammo sits on the shelf twice as long than usual, they are losing money.
    Alas, (found a way to use Alas in a sentence...) not everyone got the memo about avoiding Dicks;

Had to stop at a PetSmart while passing thru Bainbridge, OH (near the old Sea World in Aurora) and it was next to a Dicks. Figured I'd take a look at the ammo rack for gits and shiggles - no 5.56, 9MM, .22LR to be seen. Same with the Walmart across the parking lot.

It's to the point where I am recharging the batteries to my airsofts these days.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456