Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Trop selling ammo on Gunbroker?

I do not mean to set-off a firestorm here but I've noticed Trop seems to have a lot of ammo on auction at Gunbroker at the same time the shelves are bare. I'm little disappointed that they seem to be overlooking the local (and loyal) customers. They have always sold their handloaded ammo but now are selling .22LR, .380, 9mm, .45, .223- you get the picture.

**I do realize I can bid & purchase** but that is not my point.
    Last edited by slickracer; January 27th, 2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: .

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Trop selling ammo on Gunbroker?

Quote Originally Posted by slickracer View Post
    I do not mean to set-off a firestorm here but I've noticed Trop seems to have a lot of ammo on auction at Gunbroker at the same time the shelves are bare. I'm little disappointed that they seem to be overlooking the local (and loyal) customers. They have always sold their handloaded ammo but not are selling .22LR, .380, 9mm, .45, .223- you get the picture.

I agree. The ammo that is on their shelf is overpriced at the moment. Federal 5.56 for $18 a box is highway robbery. Then to sell it on gunbroker...

No black rifles in the store to be found, but they have a bunch on Gunbroker, along with the ammo. Not sure how I feel about this tactic, but the ammo shelves do look barren in the store.....

(Dauphin County)

I do not mean to set-off a firestorm here but I've noticed Trop seems to have a lot of ammo on auction at Gunbroker at the same time the shelves are bare. I'm little disappointed that they seem to be overlooking the local (and loyal) customers. They have always sold their handloaded ammo but now are selling .22LR, .380, 9mm, .45, .223- you get the picture.

So what is your point then? Your mad that they are choosing to sell on a more profitable basis? What's the point of running a business? Profit. Maybe they have loyal customers on Gunbroker?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    So what is your point then? Your mad that they are choosing to sell on a more profitable basis? What's the point of running a business? Profit. Maybe they have loyal customers on Gunbroker?
    I think the point is customer service, loyalty and to point out it's kinda prickish. Local gun shops can't survive on the internet in peace times. They are around because of their local customers. From what it sounds they are screwing local customers in lieu of a few more bucks. I think that was the point.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    It is certainly their choice to do so, and hopefully its the right move for their business. They will make more profit now but when this nonsense is over in 6 months will they lose customers, and over a duration of say 3-5 years have a net negative effect?

I realize it will probably be a cold day before I get another $199.99 case of Tula 7.62x39 again but that isn't entirely the shop's fault. We have no idea what the distributors are charging them.

I do agree it certainly isn't a draw to know there are cases of ammo on gun broker and none in the store but who knows they could have split them 50/50 and the ones in store sold in 5 minutes.

Gun "people" to tend to be a paranoid lot....
    Last edited by Gringo; January 27th, 2013 at 08:26 PM.

(York County)

I have no problem with what they are doing.
    The have always had there auction side it is just like having another division of there company.

There have had assorted AR coming in every week. They have been taking the majority of them and putting them on the shelf. Them they set a couple asside for the auction side. Ammo is the same way it is not like they are selling it by the pallet and skid load a couple cases every few days. I am sure they are selling much more than that through the story just not by the case load. If the put these cases out on the floor they wouldn't last two hours. They are also now selling off the stock that had set aside to use in the display for the boycotted sportsman show.

If you don't have ammo don't blame them!

(Dauphin County)

From another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trop Pres View Post
    Thanks for coming in. We are selling far more of everything in the store than on line. The difference is that it sells in the store as fast as we put it out and the stuff that's on line sits there for the entire length of the auction.It just seems like there is more for sale there. We have starting our on line auctions for .01 with no reserve. Everything in the store sells for much less. We are selling at least 3:1 in store vs. on line.

We are selling bulk ammo in the store in our ammo cans but the same thing holds true there. We sell out of it each day.

Tom at Backwoods is a great guy and a good friend, so I am glad you are spending money there. In these times of attacks on the 2nd amendment it is a good thing to supports everyone in or industry.

Please keep stopping back and giving us a chance to earn your business. we value our local business greatly!

Regards,

Dave Dunn
    Pres Trop Gun Shop
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.