Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Your range membership...

For you guys that have a membership to a range in or near Philly, what aided your decision of selecting that range? I'm still in the market for a range and just want to get an idea of who uses what. Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Your range membership...

Used to go to Firing Line w/o membership.

Then got membership for two years at SPAG because rifle shooting was an option - got sick of their prices and two jerk employees who seemed to go out of their way to be unpleasant (I should say there were 4 other regular employees that were really great that I looked forward to interacting with but who seemed to have the day off most of the time I went there).

For a while I'd drive down to Ommelanden in New Castle, DE which was a nice place (rifle, pistol, skeet, trap) and inexpensive, but a long drive with screwy hours and ammo restrictions (no ammo that attracts a magnet - bye bye cheap stuff). Not a bad spot if you only shoot a few times a year.

Finally bit the bullet and joined DCFS. Initial membership prices are a bit high and it's a little Fudd-y for some (you won't be practicing combat pistol or doing mag dumps) but it suits me fairly well. A lot of variety, safe, welcoming.

(Philadelphia County)

South Philly gun club. I think membership is $150 a year or 300 and you can bring your own ammo.

I only pay the 150 and they let me bring ammo and I pay them $10. So not a bad deal.

The range is very nice also clean. Staff has always been great both on the range and in the pro shop.

I think I'm on my third year with them and unless they put a range in across the st from me ill continue going to them.
    "No, I am not a great shot, but I shoot often" - Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by TheTsieck View Post
    South Philly gun club. I think membership is $150 a year or 300 and you can bring your own ammo.

I only pay the 150 and they let me bring ammo and I pay them $10. So not a bad deal.

The range is very nice also clean. Staff has always been great both on the range and in the pro shop.

I think I'm on my third year with them and unless they put a range in across the st from me ill continue going to them.
    Go on glock/springfield day and the starter membership is like $80 and premium membership is $150. I wouldn't pay them to use my own ammo and then they take my brass too, no thanks but just incase your curious. Also on 10th and spring garden where colisomo's was is a range under new ownership. You can get the details in the ranges sub forum here. I think it is $150/yr for single membership, can use your own ammo without an extra fee and you can use reloads. Don't know if they have updated the range much since I haven't been there since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill990 View Post
    Go on glock/springfield day and the starter membership is like $80 and premium membership is $150. I wouldn't pay them to use my own ammo and then they take my brass too, no thanks but just incase your curious. Also on 10th and spring garden where colisomo's was is a range under new ownership. You can get the details in the ranges sub forum here. I think it is $150/yr for single membership, can use your own ammo without an extra fee and you can use reloads. Don't know if they have updated the range much since I haven't been there since 2008.
    Been to the old colisom's.... Now The Philly Gun Ra.ge. Membership is $150 and sure can use your own ammo but the range in my opinion could use a lil updating. But they are at the top of my list because they are fairly close compared to other ranges.

(Philadelphia County)

Last I checked South Philadelphia Archery and Guns range membership is $175 using their ammo and $300 using your own ammo. I was last at the range Tuesday. Says the same prices on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmadragoon View Post
    Last I checked South Philadelphia Archery and Guns range membership is $175 using their ammo and $300 using your own ammo. I was last at the range Tuesday. Says the same prices on their website.
    $300 is crazy

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    Used to go to Firing Line w/o membership.

Then got membership for two years at SPAG because rifle shooting was an option - got sick of their prices and two jerk employees who seemed to go out of their way to be unpleasant (I should say there were 4 other regular employees that were really great that I looked forward to interacting with but who seemed to have the day off most of the time I went there).

For a while I'd drive down to Ommelanden in New Castle, DE which was a nice place (rifle, pistol, skeet, trap) and inexpensive, but a long drive with screwy hours and ammo restrictions (no ammo that attracts a magnet - bye bye cheap stuff). Not a bad spot if you only shoot a few times a year.

Finally bit the bullet and joined DCFS. Initial membership prices are a bit high and it's a little Fudd-y for some (you won't be practicing combat pistol or doing mag dumps) but it suits me fairly well. A lot of variety, safe, welcoming.
    To the best of my knowledge, and individual is $125 and a family is $150 plus a $50 initiation fee. (this may have gone up by $10, first time a raise in fees in ten years) The family membership includes all children AND grandchildren under 18. Compared to $300 per VIP person at SPAG ($250 if you catch one of their specials) I'd hardly call that high priced.

As for the fuddy duddy, yes, some rules won't sit well with the hard core 2A enthusiasts but DCFS is a sportsman club, not a gun club, and a lot of the rules, like mag dumps, are to keep our nearby neighbors happy, which for the most part they are.

DCFS offers the following ranges:

Black Powder
    High Power
    Smallbore
    Archery
    Pistol
    Table Trap
    Skeet
    5 Stand
    Trap
    Airgun

Quote Originally Posted by Magmadragoon View Post
    I was a member at Philadelphia Archery & Gun Club (SPAG) for a few years, paid for the VIP membership which allows you to bring your own ammo, free gun rentals and a few other things, to the best of my knowledge. If you shoot a lot it was worth it considering where it was. Big draw back, only 7 firing lanes and area parking sucks. They do pretty much let you shoot anything and have timed rotating targets for self defense type practice.

If you're not going to shoot often they have a daily fee of $15 (shoot their ammo) or $25 (bring your own ammo).

(Philadelphia County)

SPAG usually sells half off memberships twice a year; on "Glock Day" and "Springfield Day". I always got my memberships then, for around $85 ($90?).

DCFS is a bit more than what I paid SPAG but well worth it IMO. I like shooting rifles and rimfires and for that alone it's been worth it. Having to shoot pistol at no closer than 50' has helped my accuracy and I've had a blast at Trap and Table Trap. I love it.
    That said, I know some people might chafe at their rules (shooting and carry) so it might not be the place for everybody. I myself didn't want to join until they got rid of the single shot only rule at the high power range.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    SPAG usually sells half off memberships twice a year; on "Glock Day" and "Springfield Day". I always got my memberships then, for around $85 ($90?).

DCFS is a bit more than what I paid SPAG but well worth it IMO. I like shooting rifles and rimfires and for that alone it's been worth it. Having to shoot pistol at no closer than 50' has helped my accuracy and I've had a blast at Trap and Table Trap. I love it.
    That said, I know some people might chafe at their rules (shooting and carry) so it might not be the place for everybody. I myself didn't want to join until they got rid of the single shot only rule at the high power range.
    I was comparing it to the VIP membership I used to have, Christmas plus the two days you mentioned the VIP was $50 off, not half by any means. I'm an RO on the table trap range, say hey some Sunday.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast