Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Unhappy One step away from an AD/ND

Something happened today that really freaked me out. I left my house in Scranton this morning with My Beretta 96 in a IWB Galco holster. As a safety habit, I put the safety on while holstering the weapon and release it after the gun is fully holstered. I normally carry with the safety off, one in the chamber and the hammer uncocked.

I drove to Norristown, took the Septa regional to Center City, spent the day at the auto show, took the rail back and stopped in Allentown to eat on the way back. When I went to the shitter, I carefully removed the gun from the holster and put it on top of the toilet tank before dropping my trousers. To my dismay, I saw that THE GUN WAS COCKED! So I was carrying my gun with the safety off, one in the chamber and cocked, one light trigger pull away from an AD/ND for God knows how long.

I still can't figure out how it happened. I know that the Beretta won't cock the hammer if the safety is on. That's the reason why I put the safety on while holstering it. So it happened at some point after leaving my house. For now I am going to carry with the safety on until I figure out what the hell happened.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: One step away from an AD/ND

Does your holster have a thumb break that goes over the hammer?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Does your holster have a thumb break that goes over the hammer?
    It is a Royal Guard IWB, like this one here: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...ID=885&GunID=4

It doesn't have a thumb break.

(Lycoming County)

I can see why you'd carry with the safety off, but I've played around with the hammer on a 92, and if you're moving around it can cock itself. I prefer the safety on, just with the fact that I know the gun is safe then. The hammer can't cock, and the firing pin is blocked from hitting the round.

Also even if my safety is off while carrying it, I put the safety on before I draw it, in a non emergency situation. (I practice carrying a 92, and drawing it quickly and safety.)*

If your holster doesn't have a thumb break over the hammer, or a strap, please tell us that your holster has full trigger coverage.

*(I can't wait till I am 18 and don't have to put a legal explanation to why I, a 17 year old, is handling a pistol.)
    Cyber-Security, Physical Security, Personal Protection. All as important as the others.

(Lawrence County)

Exactly how light is the trigger on your 92? I've handled them in DA and SA, and while it's significantly lighter in SA, it isn't like a light competition trigger either.

Stock it should average around 8-10 lbs in DA, and around 5 lbs in SA. That's comparable to a stock Glock in SA.

If the trigger is covered and you're following the safety rules while handling it, then you don't have any more to worry about than when handling a Glock or M&P.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaulWolf View Post
    That's comparable to a stock Glock
    True. But there are quite a few people who aren't comfortable carrying Glocks for exactly that reason.
    Molon Labe!

(Lancaster County)

personally, in that holster(a quality one that isnt very soft anywhere) i would probably carry it like that anyway, definitely wouldnt freak out over it being cocked as the chance of that hammer falling and setting off said round without manipulation of the trigger is zero and your fingers shouldnt be getting on the trigger directly outta the holster anyway. my 2 pennys, however, do what you gotta do to be safe in your mind. thats what matters.
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

(Cambria County)

I'd say you were 2 steps away:

1. unholstering your sidearm
    2. doing something stupid that put your finger (or other object) in the trigger guard

I will occasionally carry a Glock 34 with a 3.5 trigger pull, no safety. As long as it's properly holstered you should never worry about an AD/ND. If you are that worried about it buy a new holster that eases your fears.
    Last edited by Caspian; January 27th, 2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling

(Lancaster County)

I bet one of those anti-OC people snuck up behind you and cocked it for you.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Flake View Post
    I normally carry with the safety off, one in the chamber and the hammer uncocked.
    That is the correct way to carry a DA/SA auto-loader.

When I went to the shitter, I carefully removed the gun from the holster and put it on top of the toilet tank before dropping my trousers. To my dismay, I saw that THE GUN WAS COCKED! So I was carrying my gun with the safety off, one in the chamber and cocked, one light trigger pull away from an AD/ND for God knows how long.

I still can't figure out how it happened.
    If you think about it, the force required to overcome the hammer spring in order to cock the hammer it is considerable. I would be very surprised if in your travels at some point something was in contact with the hammer and cocked it without noticing it.

I think a more likely possibility is that you simply forgot to decock the pistol when you holstered. I know that might seem impossible, especially since you decock out of habit when you holster, but we all have "senior moments" and brain fades on occasion and perhaps you were preoccupied with the details of your itinerary.

IMO, engaging the decocker after you have decocked the pistol prior to holstering is an unnecessary administrative step and complicates the process. I would suggest eliminating that step and instead, anchor your strong hand thumb on top of the hammer spur as you holster. That way you actually have tactile feedback as to whether or not something is bearing against the slide that would cock the hammer as you holster.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast