Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Man banned from school property for carrying gun

Article in publicopiniononline. Sorry, I dont know how to post link. Gent is alleged to have carried a gun to a sporting event in the fall. District found out after the fact, somehow, and banned him from all district property. There are some interesting aspects of the story if someone can link it. He was disallowed having a spokesperson at his hearing and given only two days notice so he had no time to arrange counsel.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Man banned from school property for carrying gun

What a friggin joke.. Arrest me

Glad the school district is doing so well that they can waste taxpayers money on something like this. No due process, no specific terms, just a very vague accusation from what I can see. I wondering if there is an another motive here.

(Butler County)

Isnt school property public property? How can they "ban him" with a claim they have no proof of?
    PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

(Franklin County)

What I posted in a duplicate post.

According to the article the Chambersburg Area School District has banned a citizen from the district property. He was accused of bringing a gun on to a district function, a charge he denies and the district offered no evidence to the charge. Further he was not allowed representation or the opportunity of defense.
    Is this type of action exempt from due process? Is there a chance this could be used in a "other legal use" defense since he denies having a gun on school property? What is a citizens recourse in these situations?

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/c...operties-after
    Quote:
    Chambersburg man banned from public school properties after alleged handgun incident

By BRIAN HALL
    Date: 01/25/2013 05:24:56 PM EST

CHAMBERSBURG -- Chambersburg Area School District administrators have banned a Chambersburg man from setting foot on district property after he allegedly brought a gun onto campus.
    The district held a closed administrative hearing on Friday for Jay Lightfoot, Chambersburg. At the conclusion of that meeting, Lightfoot was banned from school property.
    Lightfoot did not attend the hearing after he was told he was unable to bring a spokesperson into the meeting with him. Lightfoot was notified on Wednesday of the hearing, attempted to arrange legal counsel, but did not have enough time.
    "You are prohibited from setting foot on school property any time in the future and until advised otherwise," solicitor Jan Sulcove told Lightfoot today in the administration building's lobby. "If you enter upon school district property, whether it's this building or any other building, whether it's for a public meeting or athletic event, you will be prosecuted."
    According to the district, the point of contention stems from an alleged incident that occurred "sometime" in the "fall of 2012." A specific athletic event was not noted in a letter sent to Lightfoot, nor did it include a specific date of an incident.
    The charge is that Lightfoot allegedly brought a "handgun" onto school property for an athletic event.
    "This school year he brought a weapon to an athletic contest," said Superintendent Joe Padasak. "We had it investigated. We found out it was accurate. We have a statement to that effect."
    Lightfoot and his spokesperson Allen Piper contend that he did not carry a weapon to any event on school property in the fall. Lightfoot has a permit to carry a weapon because he's a landlord who sometimes carries around large amounts of cash.
    "He has a concealed weapons permit granted by the county and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania," Piper said. "I asked Jay if remembered anytime taking a weapon onto school property in fall 2012. He does not recall taking a weapon into or onto school property. He said he didn't take one onto school property."
    Piper was not allowed to represent Lightfoot at the hearing. Padasak had originally granted visitors to the hearing on Lightfoot's behalf, but that request was denied by Sulcove.
    In addition to being banned, the district has charged Lightfoot with disorderly conduct following an alleged incident with district police last month at an athletic contest. He was asked to move out of a handicapped seating area. Piper has challenged the ruling, saying there is no marked handicapped seating in CASHS Field House. Lightfoot has a hearing about the December incident in mid-February.
    Piper and Lightfoot are now considering options moving forward, Piper said.
    Last edited by edsollen; January 26th, 2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

(Beaver County)

It's "guilty until proven innocent". I thought you all knew already...
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(Franklin County)

Interesting. The district in question is the district in which I live and have two children attending. I have stated numerous times that I have, and will continue to carry on school property, including inside of the actual buildings (not that there's a legal difference).

Even if carry on school property became completely, undeniably legal, would those who were discovered or acknowledged doing so face a ban for doing so? IMO, school districts are close enough to government entities (since they have the power to levy taxes) that they should be included in state preemption laws.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by edsollen View Post
    "You are prohibited from setting foot on school property any time in the future and until advised otherwise," solicitor Jan Sulcove told Lightfoot today in the administration building's lobby. "If you enter upon school district property, whether it's this building or any other building, whether it's for a public meeting or athletic event, you will be prosecuted."
    The whole thing smells, but banning him from public meetings seems particularly suspect from a civil rights standpoint.

I think a §1983 lawsuit is in order.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Franklin County)

I have personal experience from having been a student of the district, having a son in the district, been a teacher at the Career Tech School serving the district, and finally serving on the School Board at the district.
    This district and especially the solicitor have the opinion that they answer to no one. The solicitor has a child serving as assistant district attorney and displays the arrogance of feeling untouchable. We desperately need someone to challenge this.
    And don't get me started on "King" Joe Padasak the superintendant.

There goes my blood pressure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast