Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 500 yard bolt action suggestions

I have a few questions I hope to get an answer to from those that know more than I about bolt guns.

This gun will be for hunting, so weight is a concern.
    I would like to see 4 or 5" groups at 500 yards or good hunting accuracy at that distance. I have done some shooting at this distance with limited and inconsistant success.

I have a model 700, synthetic stock chambered in 7mm mag. It is stock, no alterations from the factory with a leupold 3x9 and I can't seem to get a 4" group at 250 let alone 500 so its time to make a change. I have tried several different factory loads.

I am open to suggestions about weather I should purchase a new barrel and have it bedded in the rifle I have and upgrade my optic or should I sell it as it is and put the money into a higher quality rifle to start with. Honestly, my confidence with this rifle at the 500 mark is very low. I don't think its a bad rifle, I have killed plenty of deer with it, but I am after something better now.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I do not have unlimited funds, if I need to change rifles I would probably purchase the gun and use the optic I have to stay on the range, then down the road pick up some better glass.

I will do my best to purchase rifle, rifle components, glass that is made in the usa.
    Last edited by beerhunter; January 23rd, 2013 at 09:42 AM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: 500 yard bolt action suggestions

Do you reload? That'd probably be the cheapest upgrade without doing anything to the rifle at all. After that, consider having the barreled action bedded in the stock (might want to switch the stock of it's a flimsy tupperware type). Make sure scope is properly installed.

I'm sure someone will come along and tell you you need a new 338 lapua magnum in a high end tactical stock with a $3000 rifle scope. But I've seen guys shoot out to 800 yards with just a properly bedded factory rifle and decent reloads. Granted once the barrel heated up the groups opened up as well, but they were able to get solid hits.

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    Do you reload? That'd probably be the cheapest upgrade without doing anything to the rifle at all. After that, consider having the barreled action bedded in the stock (might want to switch the stock of it's a flimsy tupperware type). Make sure scope is properly installed.

I'm sure someone will come along and tell you you need a new 338 lapua magnum in a high end tactical stock with a $3000 rifle scope. But I've seen guys shoot out to 800 yards with just a properly bedded factory rifle and decent reloads. Granted once the barrel heated up the groups opened up as well, but they were able to get solid hits.
    Appreciate the comments, not concerned about the barrel heating up, its a hunting rifle so the first and maybe the second shot is all I will have.
    No, not currently able to reload.

I have no need to spend the coin on a high end 338, rather put that money into ammo/optic and stay on the range for practice. 7mm mag will drop what I am after at 500 easily with enough practice.

(Wayne County)

I got myself savage 10 fcpk in .308. Out of the box it got accustock, accutrigger, flutted and threaded bull barrel with muzzle brake. IMO at 800$ out the door its a very good value for money.

(Adams County)

is the barrel clean? not just a wipe out with a patch but really clean as in free of copper. i have seen more rifles shoot better with a good cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    is the barrel clean? not just a wipe out with a patch but really clean as in free of copper. i have seen more rifles shoot better with a good cleaning.
    yes, cleaned well before each range trip

(Luzerne County)

A 4 inch group at 500 yards equates to less that a 1 in group at 100 yards. That takes a pretty good rifle. Remington is noted for making accurate stuff. Yours could be one of the few that ain't so good, it happens. A "good" gunsmith should check your rifle out. Sometimes just a good beding job or a new/better stock will cure most troubles. I have had a Remington 700 that could not hit the side of a barn twice. It was sent back to the factory for repair, and that did nothing. It eventually had to go and be replaced with another 700 in the same model and caliber. The results are night and day. No two rifles are made the same.
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

I agree with the above poster...you are asking a lot from a factory rifle to be sub MOA at that distance.

Even if the rifle is capable of that precision...are you???

(Allegheny County)

Ditto on the reloads first or try some quality match quality ammunition.
    Make sure your scope, rings and base are solid.
    Using a INCH POUND Torque Wrench, tighten up the receiver to stock screws to no more than 65 inch pounds. DO NOT USE a Foot Pound torque wrench.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I agree with the above poster...you are asking a lot from a factory rifle to be sub MOA at that distance.

Even if the rifle is capable of that precision...are you???

+1 - Let alone sub MOA with factory loads.

OP, do you know how to read the wind? Even with a great rifle, perfect load, and marksmanship skills you'll need to be able to read the wind to obtain 5" groups at 500 yards.
    Last edited by Hawk; January 23rd, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast