Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default County residency requirement for references on LTCF renewal??

I work with a buddy who just moved back into the area after serving some tours in Iraq. He has a LTCF…but it expires June 2nd.

Upon returning to PA, he moved to Monroe County…..his original county was Lacka or Luzerne (I forget).

He’s been to the sheriff and the renewal app requires references that actually LIVE in Monroe.
    He JUST got back, new house, new neighborhood…..and doesn’t really know anyone in Monroe County.

Is this residency requirement normal? What can he do???

I know I’ve seen this discussed here before….but I couldn’t find the thread via search.

Thanks!
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: County residency requirement for references on LTCF renewal??

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Pennsylvania View Post
    I work with a buddy who just moved back into the area after serving some tours in Iraq. He has a LTCF…but it expires June 2nd.

Upon returning to PA, he moved to Monroe County…..his original county was Lacka or Luzerne (I forget).

He’s been to the sheriff and the renewal app requires references that actually LIVE in Monroe.
    He JUST got back, new house, new neighborhood…..and doesn’t really know anyone in Monroe County.

Is this residency requirement normal? What can he do???

I know I’ve seen this discussed here before….but I couldn’t find the thread via search.

Thanks!
    Some counties require the references be from the county in question, some dont.

I've seen people offer to meet someone in person to establish a "friendship" in order for a person to apply - like beers or group dinner.. Not gonna speak for anyone here - but I'm sure a couple people might be willing to do it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

There is no county, or state, residency requirement for references. The sheriff may ask that references be residents of the county, but can not require it. No such requirement exists either in state law, nor is it stated on the standardized SP 4-127 LTCF application.

Your friend can put down whatever references he wants, from Lackawanna or Luzerne Councy, or even from another state.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    There is no county, or state, residency requirement for references. The sheriff may ask that references be residents of the county, but can not require it. No such requirement exists either in state law, nor is it stated on the standardized SP 4-127 LTCF application.

Your friend can put down whatever references he wants, from Lackawanna or Luzerne Councy, or even from another state.
    Agreed.

And these additional restrictions that sheriff's place on the form need to start getting challenged.

(Allegheny County)

I'm in Allegheny county and used a reference in Beaver county and another in Butler county. No problems.

(Montgomery County)

I can't speak to the legality of the Sheriffs requirement for in-county references, but I can tell you that Monroe county *does* send your references a card asking about your character. I can dig up what it looks like, if desired.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    I can't speak to the legality of the Sheriffs requirement for in-county references, but I can tell you that Monroe county *does* send your references a card asking about your character. I can dig up what it looks like, if desired.
    Could ya please??? I'm curious as to what they send out..

Jeff. Co. looks at your app just long enough to make sure you filled it out. The last time I was in there I handed the deputy the application and he looked at it for about 1 second then took my info off of my drivers license. My app then got stuff under the clamp of a clipboard with a stack of others.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Some counties, like mine, do not even contact references at all. Pass PICS and you're cool

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Could ya please??? I'm curious as to what they send out..*snip*

Information of my reference has been removed, but you can noodle out the rest.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

Sheriff Todd Martin is a dick plain and simple.
    He's been pulling this crap for as long as I can remember. I actually had no idea this wasn't normal until I finally moved.

I can assure you if the referrals are not in Monroe he will be denied.
    Also he needs to produce his latest1% tax receipt to prove residency. Frankly I wish someone would just fill the damn form out and then sue the bastard when they get they’re form kicked back. I would gladly support that lawsuit.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast