Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default There's gotta be a better way

I was talking with some friends today about all this talk about universal background checks, PICS waiting times, firearms databases etc. Here is what we came up with:

That since it is a right granted in the constitution EVERYONE who is eligible (has not commited a prohibiting offense/have mental disqualifiers etc) at 18 or 21 is issued some type of ID card similar to a drivers license but federally issued. This is what would be scanned in order to purchase a firearm. On the dealers end it would simply confirm the persons identity and that the card was valid......hell this shouldn't be hard to do because they can scan your drivers license at a club entrance or a convienience store and know if its real and valid. No information would be transferred regarding the type of purchase etc.
    This card would be vaild until the person was convicted of a prohibited offense or deemed mentally disqualified. Upon this being invalidated the persons card would be immediately be entered into the system by court staff as invalid, and immediately not work. This would also not be too hard to do with todays computer technology. Also wouldn't be a great burden on court staff etc as all verdict info etc is already entered into the computer via AOPC, fed databases etc
    This card would also serve as a nationwide LTCF, meaning everyone who was not otherwise prohibited would have the RIGHT to carry.
    Card could be updated free of charge with a new photo every 5 years just like a Drivers license to remain valid. If one would choose not to renew it they would need to pay for and pass a background check to have one reissued.
    This would also eliminate the need for NICS/PICS operators to be contacted for every purchase and eliminate the redundent costs associated with maintaining various state/fed databases etc.
    This would also not be like a firearm owners card in NJ etc as every adult who is not prohibited would be issued one whether they choose to use it or not.
    These were just some ideas from our BSing session what do you think?

Default Re: There's gotta be a better way

Quote Originally Posted by firemanmark View Post
    I was talking with some friends today about all this talk about universal background checks, PICS waiting times, firearms databases etc. Here is what we came up with:

That since it is a right granted in the constitution EVERYONE who is eligible (has not commited a prohibiting offense/have mental disqualifiers etc) at 18 or 21 is issued some type of ID card similar to a drivers license but federally issued. This is what would be scanned in order to purchase a firearm. On the dealers end it would simply confirm the persons identity and that the card was valid......hell this shouldn't be hard to do because they can scan your drivers license at a club entrance or a convienience store and know if its real and valid. No information would be transferred regarding the type of purchase etc.
    This card would be vaild until the person was convicted of a prohibited offense or deemed mentally disqualified. Upon this being invalidated the persons card would be immediately be entered into the system by court staff as invalid, and immediately not work. This would also not be too hard to do with todays computer technology. Also wouldn't be a great burden on court staff etc as all verdict info etc is already entered into the computer via AOPC, fed databases etc
    This card would also serve as a nationwide LTCF, meaning everyone who was not otherwise prohibited would have the RIGHT to carry.
    Card could be updated free of charge with a new photo every 5 years just like a Drivers license to remain valid. If one would choose not to renew it they would need to pay for and pass a background check to have one reissued.
    This would also eliminate the need for NICS/PICS operators to be contacted for every purchase and eliminate the redundent costs associated with maintaining various state/fed databases etc.
    This would also not be like a firearm owners card in NJ etc as every adult who is not prohibited would be issued one whether they choose to use it or not.
    These were just some ideas from our BSing session what do you think?
    FUCK NO!!!! Have you not heard of a firearm ID card?!?!?! Chicago has it and so does NJ. Chicago recently want to propose a bill that would be similar to NY and disarm them, thank god the people spoke up and shut it down as fast as NY's law passed. How would they know where the gun owners lived?? Firearm ID card. This is a terrible terrible idea. Too many people like you think that we need more laws. I personally think we have more than enough of theses 22,000 gun laws currently. What needs to be done is ENFORCE the laws. Just recently someone was arrested for shooting someone else outside a bar (I think in Michigan) guess what, he was in jail a year before for the SAME EXACT THING! Too much hand shaking, plea bargaining deals are being made, enforce the current fuckin laws or GTFO!

(Lackawanna County)

I have to agree...bad idea. Don't think for a moment that there wouldn't be a database of every firearms transaction from that time forward, and that you'd soon have to show it to purchase ammo, lead, or charcoal, sulfur, and potassium nitrate.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill990 View Post
    How would they know where the gun owners lived?? Firearm ID card. This is a terrible terrible idea. Too many people like you think that we need more laws.
    I suspect firemanmark is an average hard working gun owner who, like many of us, is troubled by what's going on in national and state politics. I doubt he wants more laws, but probably thinks they are coming whether we like it or not. I don't blame him for trying to imagine a way in which this doesn't suck.

His notion of how this could work seems to be the opposite of a national database of legitimate gun owners. It sounds like he is proposing a blacklist (like a no-fly list) whereby if you're not on the list you get your card and can happily purchase firearms. It's probably very optimistic to think that this would translate into some new privilege of a nationwide LTCF.

Do I personally think we should embrace this? No...I think gun owners should rightfully fear new laws being abused and expanded until our proud tradition of gun ownership is torn down. This certainly seems to be the trend.

(Centre County)

Absolutely NOT. The first time you buy a gun your name would be in a database, ie gun registration, go there first for gun confiscation. It is a God given right (according to our fore fathers). Do you think we need a federal ID showing that we are allowed to worship how we want, or to gather peacefully to discuss/protest something? How about having a federal card saying we are allowed to travel between states (say "papers please").

ENFORCE the laws on the books. PUNISH the criminals NOT the law abiding. FORCE judges to follow the sentencing guidelines. Have MANADATORY sentences for using a gun in a crime and do not allow these sentences to be lessened.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Damn you guys are tough! I am a stauch 2A supporter and firearm owner who was fed up with the extended waits recently for PICS approvals several times recently and was BS'n about it with some friends! No I am not wanting new or changed laws, just stating that there has to be a better way then the current PICS/NICS system. Wildbill, as I stated in my OP it would vary from a firearm ID card as EVERY non prohibited citizen would be issued one, versus having to apply for one if you wanted to purchase a gun thus pre-informing the government of your choice to possibly buy a firearm. As far as stating that it would create a database, if you are gullible enough to believe that the PSP doesnt use the handgun sales data as an illegal registry, nor does the ATF etc use FFL's returned bound books as the same, I have a nice bridge to sell ya.