Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Problem With My New AK-47

I recently bought a new Ak-47 off Gunbroker made by I.O. Corporation and it is the sporter model. I took it to the range the other day for the first time and fired a total of 20 rounds of Tulammo 122GR. FMJ downrange to the 50 yard target. Not one bullet hit the target even with several adjustments to the rear sight. I have no Idea where this rifle is shooting or what could be wrong.

Let me just say that, while this is my first semi auto rifle, I have been shooting for many years...everything from my bolt action and lever action hunting rifles to my revolvers and 1911's. It's not my marksmanship that is the problem here. There must be something wrong with the rifle itself. It has a muzzle brake on it but I am still able to see the muzzle crown and there does not appear to be anything wrong that would cause bullets to skew off course.

Has anybody ever had an issue like this or can anybody offer some advice on what do with the rifle?

Thanks in advance

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Problem With My New AK-47

Quote Originally Posted by StraightShooter76 View Post
    I recently bought a new Ak-47 off Gunbroker made by I.O. Corporation and it is the sporter model. I took it to the range the other day for the first time and fired a total of 20 rounds of Tulammo 122GR. FMJ downrange to the 50 yard target. Not one bullet hit the target even with several adjustments to the rear sight. I have no Idea where this rifle is shooting or what could be wrong.

Let me just say that, while this is my first semi auto rifle, I have been shooting for many years...everything from my bolt action and lever action hunting rifles to my revolvers and 1911's. It's not my marksmanship that is the problem here. There must be something wrong with the rifle itself. It has a muzzle brake on it but I am still able to see the muzzle crown and there does not appear to be anything wrong that would cause bullets to skew off course.

Has anybody ever had an issue like this or can anybody offer some advice on what do with the rifle?

Thanks in advance
    Is the front sight canted? I know thats a problem with a few AKs, but I think it may be focused at the WASRs. Also, see if you can bore sight it at all (laser) to see where your sights are in relation to the glowing dot

Thanks in advance
    Is the front sight canted at all?

(Wayne County)

Did you clean it, good? I've heard of IOs with a lot of Oil or Grease and other crap from the factory in the barrel throwing rounds everywhere. A good cleansing and they were fine.....
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
    Is the front sight canted? I know thats a problem with a few AKs, but I think it may be focused at the WASRs. Also, see if you can bore sight it at all (laser) to see where your sights are in relation to the glowing dot
    I thought too that the front sight might be canted to either side but it does not appear to be, unless it is very slightly that I don't really notice it. A bore sighting laser is not a bad idea though.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    Did you clean it, good? I've heard of IOs with a lot of Oil or Grease and other crap from the factory in the barrel throwing rounds everywhere. A good cleansing and they were fine.....
    It came with a red tag on it warning to clean the bore before shooting the first time. I only ran a few solvent soaked patches through it till they came out clean. I did not use a brush but I will give that a try.

(Beaver County)

Another idea move in to the 25 yard target or closer and see where the rounds are grouping.
    Put up a new large sheet of cardboard with the target centered on the cardboard and give it a try.

good luck.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Beaver County)

Thanks in advance
    You need to bring that target in closer. Set a high visibility bullseye target out at 25m and set the rear sight on "1" (slider clicks in underneath the "1"). Aim dead center, letting the tip of the front sight cut the target in the middle. Shoot 10 rounds and see what's up. Check your front sight to see if it's canted left or right.

(Allegheny County)

bad rifle, better give it to me

Hokkmike Guest

Move a LARGE target in VERY CLOSE and start from there. Gradually you'll be able to increase distance and decrease target size. It will be worth it to you and some fun to get it sighted in. Shame to use the ammo though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast