Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Guns and felons Thread # 2

Gentlemen,

I was going to post this in the other thread but did not want to hijack that one so decided to post my question here.

I have a situation where my wifes best friend from grade school and her husband both went to prison for 4 or 5 years ( him dealing drugs, she knew what was going on).

He is no friend of mine but we used to occasionally visit and have dinner.

At the last visit, him and i were discussing his inability to ever own firearms again. He told me that if there was ever even a gun in his house, he could go back to prison.

I never gave it a thought and pretty much always carry at least one gun.

Is there any truth to this and was I jeapordizing his freedom by carrying in his house?

I would just as soon not visit (he is a piece of work) but do so for my wife's friend. I did some maintenance work to their house while they were "away" for their kiddos who didn't have much money. They asked us to dinner in appreciation for what we did during that time.

Their one daughter is having a birthday party soon and we are invited.

Could someone give me a clue on this? I naturally want to stay armed but don't want to see them get in any further trouble if I was made. I doubt seriously if anything could ever become of it and conceal well. I was never asked if I was carrying but also didn't offer up the info.

I'm pretty sure they would not want me to carry in their home and may very well ask what their position is on it or ask them to get a clarification from their parole officer.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Default Re: Guns and felons Thread # 2

Parole officers and some cops might tell him that he can't be in the same building as a firearm, but the truth is that he simply can't have custody & control of a firearm. It's perfectly legal for visitors to his home to be armed. It's not legal for him to possess guns in his home, because your scenario has both him and his wife being prohibited.

Where the husband is prohibited and the wife is not, the wife can own guns under very, very careful controls, but a lot of cops won't make fine distinctions. If she has a gun in a locked safe to which he somehow has no access, then MAYBE he wouldn't be breaking the law in the eyes of the local PD. But where they're both felons, it had better be a gun-free zone when they're alone.

(Lycoming County)

I am certain he is mistaken. You having it does not give him constructive possession. You seem smart enough not to hand it to him for fondling. Heck, don't even mention you have it. If he thinks tha it is that stringent, let him. Everybody is better off.

Be safe.

Scott

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    I am certain he is mistaken. You having it does not give him constructive possession. You seem smart enough not to hand it to him for fondling. Heck, don't even mention you have it. If he thinks tha it is that stringent, let him. Everybody is better off.

Be safe.

Scott
    I agree.. rep points coming..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the responses.

I agree with letting him think the worst. I was more concerned with the possibility of affecting his wife than him. They have an idea about my interest in firearms but I don't think they even know I carry.

I doubt he will ever be a hard working pillar of the community.

Thanks again.

27hand

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I have a situation where my wifes best friend from grade school and her husband both went to prison for 4 or 5 years ( him dealing drugs, she knew what was going on).
    i'm curious...what were the charges against her (assuming she was not actually taking part in the drug dealing...which is how i read what you wrote)?

this is an area of the law i know nothing about, but i always thought that a spouse could not be compelled to testify against the other spouse (that may not be correct in and of itself, though).

if so, it would seem to follow that a spouse could not be charged for not turning in her drug-dealing husband.

so, i'm curious...where am i missing the boat?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i'm curious...what were the charges against her (assuming she was not actually taking part in the drug dealing...which is how i read what you wrote)?

this is an area of the law i know nothing about, but i always thought that a spouse could not be compelled to testify against the other spouse (that may not be correct in and of itself, though).

if so, it would seem to follow that a spouse could not be charged for not turning in her drug-dealing husband.

so, i'm curious...where am i missing the boat?
    LRT, I just asked my wife to see if she knew any of the specific charges against her friend. She was unaware as to the actual charges. The phone was tapped and conversations must have tied her into charges of dealing.

The daughter also served a year. Her boyfriend ( drug user)may have been put into a situation to get to them to minimize charges against himself.

I can't get into it further as any additional info is supposition for the most part or info from second hand sources.

Good information is that my sweetie is running interference for me to not go to the birthday party. I like the wife and kids(and their grandkids) but the guy is really out there. My wifes girlfriend thinks he's the greatest( excuse me while I lose lunch).

Later,

(York County)

I'm not sure about but I would think that he would have absolutely no control over the rest of the populus having guns or not. So his being in abuliding where someone is carrying a gun would not be his problem.

Then again I'm not a lawyer.

BB
    3%

(Venango County)

I know you did not ask for it, by my concern for you requires I offer my 2pennies worth.

The whole family sounds like trouble. You should wish to stay as far from trouble as possible.

People like this would find their way out of my circle of friends real quick. Life is hard enough as it is, without idiots making it more difficult for you. And sooner or later, they are going to drag you into something.

As a firearm owner and bearer, you could technically wind up in the middle of something going down bad as well.

Some people treat life as a great melodrama. They create more trouble for themselves and others. I guess it makes them feel alive. But that is all an illusion.

A soldier can fight his way out of an ambush but a warrior recognizes the signs and avoids them altogether.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I know you did not ask for it, by my concern for you requires I offer my 2pennies worth.

The whole family sounds like trouble. You should wish to stay as far from trouble as possible.

People like this would find their way out of my circle of friends real quick. Life is hard enough as it is, without idiots making it more difficult for you. And sooner or later, they are going to drag you into something.

As a firearm owner and bearer, you could technically wind up in the middle of something going down bad as well.

Some people treat life as a great melodrama. They create more trouble for themselves and others. I guess it makes them feel alive. But that is all an illusion.

A soldier can fight his way out of an ambush but a warrior recognizes the signs and avoids them altogether.
    I understand and agree. However, my wife and her girlfriend are very close and have been for the past 40 years. Nothing I can do will change that.
    For years, I made excuses to not have to associate with this guy and was not displeased when he found his way into prison.

When I have had to visit because my wife asked me to, (specifically due to other family members having birthdays and /or school graduations etc,etc.) I'm sure my wife sensed my being ill at ease. She knew I positioned myself in a manner to observe as much as i could.

As I said, we were both invited to dinner in appreciation for us kind of looking out for their other children and grandkids during their incarceration and I felt obligated to go. Visits will be few and far between. The girlfriend has already stated to my wife "I don't think 27hand likes us much" so there you go.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a little Farnam in there

27hand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast