Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question shotshell for handgun

does anyone know about the shot shell ammo that they sell for handguns?
    "A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
    - HMPM-
    - GoArmy.com

Default Re: shotshell for handgun

Its called Snake shot and is really only good for that, shooting snakes at a very short distance. It will not activate most pistols, but works fairly well in revolvers. at 20 feet, I tried it with a 357 on paper, the wad holding the shot in made a hole in the paper, the shot made a bunch of tiny holes some stuck to the paper. looked like i sprayed the paper with sand. Not that I would want to get shot by one, dont get me wrong, but between that and a real 357 bullet, the choice is easy. Not some thing i would suggest on Home defence, I think If you hit some one high on a substance with this, just like pepper spray, you would probably get them more mad then anything.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

There's also the Glaser rounds, better than snake shot but still marginal for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Abrams.357 View Post
    does anyone know about the shot shell ammo that they sell for handguns?
    I can tell you that their usefullness is limited. They are definately not for defense vs 2 legged critters. But, it's hard to beat them vs snakes! I have used them in 22 Mag, 38 & 45, all with good results. I do a lot of mowing in and around lakes and ponds. I seldom take the tractor seat without snake medicine. Snakes encountered this way are usually less than 10 feet away. At ranges like that, one shot is usually all it takes. With the 45, a single shot will usually cut a 1" serpent in half. And, the shotshells will work the action in my Government Model. I do my mowing on the NY side of the Delaware. I have also been successful in reloading the cartridges in both 38 & 45. The 45s require a set of dies from RCBS with a case forming die that reduces 308 Win brass to the same dimensions as the Speer aluminum cases. PM me if you wan't more info on this. I have a friend who claims good performance hunting frogs with 22 & 38. I have never tried that. Hope this helps.

(Luzerne County)

I to seldom dawn a tractor or lawnmower without my "grass cutting gun" a 1911 .45 with the first two shots being shotshells. I have cut many a snake in half at distances up to perhaps 15-20 feet with this combo. Worked equally well in 44 mag. Oh yeah....I open carry it.