Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Looking to get the Wife a 9mm .. Any Suggestions

The miss's wants to get a handgun .. She has shot my Sig P239 .. Kimber 1911 .. But I am looking for something a bit smaller in 9mm for her to use as her, around the house gun .. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Brian

Default Re: Looking to get the Wife a 9mm .. Any Suggestions

Brian try a Ruger LC9 my wife loves hers. But there are plenty of options like the shield and some of the Kahr pistols. My suggestion would be a gun shop or show and let her handle it and decide what she prefers. Good luck

(Northampton County)

m&p sheild
    Mathews Z7

(Montgomery County)

shield if you can find one...else a Walther PPS

(Centre County)

If she isn't looking to carry, and something thats easy on recoil, accurate, and being able to personalise(with pink grip and shit), I suggest 1911 in 9mm. Or something full size in 9mm, like Beretta 92FS, Sig P226, or 5906(you get the idea)

Any suggestions with small polymer framed gun in full power 9mm is going to be not a fun guns to shoot.

LC9, Shield, PF9, and any of theme small framed wheel guns(J frame, LCR) that has a light weight frame(Aluminum, Scandium, titanium, and polymer) and so on are all BAD choice for some one looking to shoot casualy, specialy if not looking to carry. They are all compromised guns.
    Small enough to be carried comforatbly. And works when it counts. Comfortable to shoot, they are not.

My wife tried all these small gun meant for carry. None worked out. Too much recoil(some to the point gun didn't function, because she wasn't able to hold on to the gun).

Ended up with RIA 1911 in 9mm.
    40.2oz of steel framed full sized gun. Recoil is like that of 22. Its accurate(enough for her to enjoy), easy to rack the slide(another one of area where small framed guns tends to be difficul), and was able to add a pink grip to make her happy.
    I have 92A1, and while its easy to shoot in term of recoil, grip is too fat for her hand. Which is another area where 1911 shines.
    Replaced long trigger with short trigger. With thin grip, it fits her small hand nicely(Area 1911 dominates with amount of aftermarket support).
    And is perfectly suited as a defence weapon, if needs to be.

Remenber, we, mans can handle the recoil. But girls usally don't like the recoil
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Cumberland County)

Ray

I'm not familiar with the 9mm revolvers. I don't see how you would not feel good about her having a Glock. Model to fit her.

Last year a gentleman at the table next to me had his 20yo daughter out for some shooting. He mentioned they were looking for a carry piece for her. I let her shoot my G19. She was around 5'6", maybe 130 lbs. She liked shooting it very much. While her size may give her some concealment issues, she certainly had no problems handling it.

Good luck with your choice.

fritz

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    If she isn't looking to carry, and something thats easy on recoil, accurate, and being able to personalise(with pink grip and shit), I suggest 1911 in 9mm. Or something full size in 9mm, like Beretta 92FS, Sig P226, or 5906(you get the idea)

Any suggestions with small polymer framed gun in full power 9mm is going to be not a fun guns to shoot.

LC9, Shield, PF9, and any of theme small framed wheel guns(J frame, LCR) that has a light weight frame(Aluminum, Scandium, titanium, and polymer) and so on are all BAD choice for some one looking to shoot casualy, specialy if not looking to carry. They are all compromised guns.
    Small enough to be carried comforatbly. And works when it counts. Comfortable to shoot, they are not.

My wife tried all these small gun meant for carry. None worked out. Too much recoil(some to the point gun didn't function, because she wasn't able to hold on to the gun).

Ended up with RIA 1911 in 9mm.
    40.2oz of steel framed full sized gun. Recoil is like that of 22. Its accurate(enough for her to enjoy), easy to rack the slide(another one of area where small framed guns tends to be difficul), and was able to add a pink grip to make her happy.
    I have 92A1, and while its easy to shoot in term of recoil, grip is too fat for her hand. Which is another area where 1911 shines.
    Replaced long trigger with short trigger. With thin grip, it fits her small hand nicely(Area 1911 dominates with amount of aftermarket support).
    And is perfectly suited as a defence weapon, if needs to be.

Remenber, we, mans can handle the recoil. But girls usally don't like the recoil
    +1 for this. If she isn't going to be carrying it. Get her something big to handle the recoil. I have a kahr cw9 and its recoil can definitely be felt. I started to get ganglion cysts in my wrist from shooting it 2 to 3 times a week. Might want to look at a large polymer gun so it's not crazy heavy. I'm sure a Beretta 92 isnt such a light gun.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmcbowflex View Post
    I'm sure a Beretta 92 isnt such a light gun.
    33oz. feather weight compared to my wife's 1911's porky 40.2oz.

Which is still heavy, compared to like G17, which is about 22oz.

If your gonna go with Glock, I'd suggest Gen4.
    Grip is much smaller then that of Gen3.
    Makes big difference in term of recoil management.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I would let her decide what she feels most comfortable.

I suggest she tries:

Glock 19
    Glock 26
    Kahr CM9

(Butler County)

Sig P225/P6. Heavy enough to absorb recoil, single stack, gentle shooter.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast