Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default What's your opinion on this gun range quandary?

My friends and I were at the state game lands having some fun with a Chinese SKS. It was relatively empty, save for an older gentleman on the other end of the range. Eventually, two other guys showed up. I always like having an unspoken respect for other shooters, just like you would at a bar - you're both there for a similar purpose and there seems to be an informal camaraderie.

Long story short: my friend had already loaded his rifle and was prepared to fire when one of the two new arrivals called 'clear' and everyone went down-range to check their targets. We set the rifle down, facing a neutral direction, with the safety on. When we came back, the guy who called 'clear' started chatting with my friend, because they both had SKSs. Then, he asks "That wasn't loaded when I was down there, was it?" My friend replied "Yeah, but the safety was on", to which this guy immediately flips out and gives us a brief lecture. We all kinda rolled our eyes. Frankly, I wanted to punch him in the mouth for being so disrespectful.

More people showed up shortly thereafter. That kid ended up talking with them, and I managed to catch a condescending remark, where he referred to us all as idiots. Now, I'm a bit of a newb to gun ranges, so I'm wondering about the etiquette... if you had already loaded a weapon and someone calls 'clear' to head down-range, what are you supposed to do? Pop open the mag and remove the rounds (for those who are familiar with the SKS)? It's sorta a silly issue but I just want to know who was in the wrong.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: What's your opinion on this gun range quandary?

I do have an sks. and to me clear means what it implies. empty the rounds or drop the mag and clear the chamber.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

you can take this as input or an insult but.. I would have given you grief the exact same as thats a huge nono, I also would have reported you to the range(although mine are all membership) then left as I wont shoot around uneducated, unsafe people. The safety on a firearm is NOT enough to use while someone is downrange, the only acceptable way is unloaded with an open or flagged chamber. I really hope you and your friend take some firearm training as unsafe practices will be called out at any range, and it could have ended extremely tragic.

If someone calls a clear and your firearm is ready to rock throw your arms up and start screaming no or hold on, clear the gun, set it down, smoke a cig, and when the time is right reload. Also Do not touch the firearm while people are downrange

(Montgomery County)

XD45 said it right.

Always clear the firearm, set it down, and leave the chamber open.

You both were in the wrong, and judging by how you wanted to punch the guy in the face for explaining proper safety procedures to you, you have no business being anywhere near a range.

Proud member of:

(Centre County)

Ditto to what was stated by XD and Agent Smith. Sorry but you were wrong and I'm more than likely would have made the same assumptions based on the sole interactions. I routinely shoot at SGL's 176 when I can't get down to PMSC and unfourtinatly I have run into this more than once and it pisses me off every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Delaware County)

I also agree that when ever you proceed down range all firearms should be cleared and showing empty. Now you know for next time. Hope you have a better experience on your next shoot.

(York County)

Yeh take it as a learning experience and anytime someone at a range gives you advice dont think they are just being dicks .... it was a concern and they informed you....Take some safety courses and when at a range do things that to you seem like overkill... cuz in reality thats what you should do naturally

(Centre County)

Please take this as additional information as continuing education in a hopefully long and enjoyable time in the shooting sports. Clear means exactly that. If your weapon is not "cleared" do not allow anyone to go downrange until it is. That is not only for everyone's safety but is common courtesy. Ask yourself this question, "Am I willing to go downrange in front of a loaded weapon with just the safety on?" If the answer is no, then why would you allow others to do the same? If the answer is yes, then you need to get some more training on how to properly handle firearms and training on proper range etiquette.

Other corollaries: Would you stand in front of a car with it's motor running and in gear with just the emergency brake on? Would you work under a car that is just held up by the jack? Would you clear a jam in a corn picker or hay baler by just taking the PTO out of gear? Would you put your hand down in a garbage disposal relying on the switch to keep it from starting? Would you squat down with your spurs on? If the answer is yes to ANY of these then you are in need of some life training.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

Think about it this way.

IF YOU called clear, which means you are going down range and WILL be standing on the business end of the muzzle. Would you expect ALL firearms pointed at your head to be.

1. Cleared as in EMPTY and showing CLEAR as in bolt open.

OR

2. Cleared as in loaded mag, loaded chamber,safety on? Now keep in mind a firearm is a mechanical object with springs and pins that DO FAIL from time to time. So said loaded firearm that HAS the safety on but a round in the chamber that COULD suffer from metal fatigue and parts failure of the safety,disconnector,fireing pin spring etc etc AND due to that failure it COULD put a bullet in your back!!

Which version of CLEAR would you prefer?

In my book, CLEAR is CLEAR as in #1 above. it is the ONLY safe version that guarentees I get to go home to my family everyday.

Rich W.
    Last edited by Warners Surplus; March 26th, 2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: well I guess it is obvious Xring types faster than me!

(Philadelphia County)

I think both sides were a little "wrong" (or whatever you want to call it).

The guy calls "clear" without explaining to strangers (to him) on the range what he means -- and him not knowing if they know.

You think he means engage safety and don't touch the weapon. He means "clear the weapon" (hence calling "clear").

Instead of giving you a lecture, he could have simply said something like "hey guys, I should have checked with you to make sure you know what 'clear' means but for future reference, when folks are going to be down range, unload and action open, as in 'clear' your weapons and show 'clear' . . . ."

There's no downside to educating fellow gun owners and education doesn't mean lecture.

Everybody stay safe and have fun.
    Last edited by Philadelphia; March 26th, 2008 at 08:09 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast