Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Need Cannon help

I just received a very old cannon that my Great-grandfather made. I don't know much about it, but I plan to inspect it and clean it up tomorrow. This is a functional cannon, and has been well taken care of over the years, so I do plan on firing it, but I don't know what I'm doing. Does anyone know of a good website that would explain the general "how-to's" of using a cannon...sizing the charge, wadding, etc. Thanks!

Default Re: Need Cannon help

I would put out of my mind the urge to fire it...that's just me though.
    Don't want to see it blow up on you.
    Give this link a try and do some reading up on Blackpowder firearms before you try anything.

www.traditionsfirearms.com/

(Berks County)

Why? I've seen this thing fired several times over the years, so it's structurally sound and safe to fire. I just need to learn the basics and how to properly size the charge before I go messing with it. Thanks for the link!

(Washington County)

I got a friend at work who has one at camp. They fire it some in the Summer.
    I will try to find out more tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramtuff View Post
    Why? I've seen this thing fired several times over the years, so it's structurally sound and safe to fire. I just need to learn the basics and how to properly size the charge before I go messing with it. Thanks for the link!
    Ah!, details man...details. I thought you may have found it out in the barn or something.

Anyway, load it light until you get a feel for what it's going to do. Know anyone who shoots BP firearms? Best way to learn is for someone to show you, or do lots of reading first.
    Here's what I found after a quick search...it oulines the basics for a muzzleloader.
    http://mamaflinter.tripod.com/id3.html

Just be careful.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I got a friend at work who has one at camp. They fire it some in the Summer.
    I will try to find out more tomorrow.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    Ah!, details man...details. I thought you may have found it out in the barn or something.

Anyway, load it light until you get a feel for what it's going to do. Know anyone who shoots BP firearms? Best way to learn is for someone to show you, or do lots of reading first.
    Here's what I found after a quick search...it oulines the basics for a muzzleloader.
    http://mamaflinter.tripod.com/id3.html

Just be careful.

Sorry. Usually, I'm better with details, but I just got done driving 1100 miles in two days, so my mind isn't all with me quite yet.

I was able to find a site that said to load no more than 2 oz. per barrel inch diameter for Fg powder and no more than 3 oz with FFA powder. I have a 16 oz can of FFFFg powder, but I don't know if that's the same as the Fg referenced on that site or not. One oz. of that can though, seems like quite a lot for that small cannon. It's a foot long, and has a 3/4" bore. I thought black powder was black powder...I wasn't aware that there were different types, so I'll have to look into that.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that shoots black powder, and the person who used to fire this cannon is hospitalized right now and is in no shape to instruct me about it, so I'll just have to research it enough until I feel knowledgeable and safe enough to fire it. I really wish that I had payed more attention and asked some questions while seeing it fired before, but I'm excited to become a 4th generation cannoneer.

(Berks County)

Success! I came along a website today that has a loading table on it and a brief introduction into loading and firing a small cannon. Max loading for my size was 1.75 teaspoons, but that seemed like an awful lot to start off with, so I made my first loading a 1/2 teaspoon. It fired off without a hitch...made a nice little bang and some smoke. Loaded it up with another 1/2 teaspoon and fired it off again. My third and last load was 3/4 teaspoon. Made a good size bang, loud enough to get the dogs up the street barking like crazy.

(Venango County)

Whatever!!!!
    load that sucker full...and compress it!!!!

No seriously....you did it right, start small and maybe work up, cannons are fun

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Berks County)

haha! It was very tempting to put a full charge in there. Better safe than sorry though, I always say.

(Venango County)

yeah, I know the feeling!

seriously, though, as long as you don't pack it too tight, or use too much wadding, or try to shoot cannonballs, the excess powder should just make for a nice fireball......but it IS better to be safe than sorry

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast