Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Ship Handgun UPS

I just want to run this by some people here who actually have BRAINS, unlike the manager of the UPS center I just left.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always believed that I could ship a HANDGUN (not LONG GUN) to someone in another state (as long as it's legal to own it there, the guy is legit, obviously all of that applies) via UPS, as an individual, as long as I ship it to an FFL representing the purchaser. In fact I have done it before, and I did it at the center in question - more than once.

I just went round and round with the manager at a large UPS facility (not a UPS Store, a CENTER) and she told me no way. Here's the kicker: they originally took my money and the package and then called me back and told me to come and get it! She said I had to be an FFL according to PA law. Now if this is true, then please let me know so I don't make that mistake again. However, I did read everything meticulously on both the Gun Broker site about shipping and the UPS site as well and thought I was good to go. Apparently not. And she was not interested in reading what the UPS website had to say, which I conveniently brought up on my phone where it clearly states that an individual can ship to an FFL.

To make it even more interesting, this moron INSISTED that all handguns in PA are REGISTERED with the state. I adamantly objected but she acted like she knew it all. There was no changing her mind. She informed me that on my way back to pick up the package she had checked with her so called "sources" and they all backed her up on the registration bit. Ignorance is bliss - and contagious - I guess.

Well any input would be appreciated, particularly with regard to shipping handguns. I already know that the Post Office requires FFL to FFL shipments. I'm talking about UPS exclusively.

And by the way, even though I realize ignorance is no defense, I honestly did not attempt the break or circumvent any laws. I thought I could legally ship to an FFL via UPS.

If she turns out to be in the wrong I am seriously considering taking this to a high level at UPS so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks to anyone listening, in advance.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Ship Handgun UPS

(Monroe County)

"UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only...(b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law... (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;"

Am I missing something here???
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Lancaster County)

Given the current state of affairs, I'm surprised UPS hasn't brought out new restrictions on firearm shipping--although I'm sure the panic buying/selling has been a boon to their industry.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PoconoJo View Post
    "UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only...(b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law... (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;"

Am I missing something here???
    NO - You are not missing anything -- but that doesn't mean you can get past the (stupid) manager... Try another UPS location...

I also think there is something about sending it NEXT DAY AIR in there...

You could also check with FEDEX... which is also legal...

If you know a local FFL, he can send it by USPS (but you cannot)...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ImminentDanger View Post

If you know a local FFL, he can send it by USPS (but you cannot)...

That's what I ended up doing. Luckily I have a good friend who is an FFL and he helped me out.

Thanks for the input. +1
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Dauphin County)

I've given up on UPS on guns. It's getting harder to even send ammo through them. My FFL will ship guns for me USPS Priority insured for a lot less than UPS overnight; he makes a couple of bucks and it helps maintain the relationship.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Carbon County)

use pa tag and title in effort, the are also shippers, they do it no problem. good people

(Wayne County)

Screw Buster Brown. They stuck it to the Boy Scouts Of America and now they'll stick it to you. Ship Fed Ex for firearms (sent my T/C Venture back that way for recall) and anything else I ask for USPS or Fed Ex. Since I'm paying for the shiiping I'll have it my way. USPS is even cheaper.

Just depends on the manager. I've had UPS and Fedex tell me they don't accept firearms from individuals, only dealers. Obviously they are incorrect and it was straightened out eventually but it all depends on the employees knowledge which in most cases isn't a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast