Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Talking Gifting a Handgun Legal?

Hi I was wondering if it is legal for a dad/mom to gift a handgun to their son/daughter as long as they are at least 18 years of age.

The last time I was on this forum I was 19 (I'm 20 now)and kind of got out of control with the arguing so I hope that won't happen again because looking back it was dumb so I apologize for that. So I've been shooting and learning more about guns ever since then but I just wanted to know a simple answer.

I have enough money to go get a mossberg 500 but I have to get ID first lol so I have to wait. It is my understanding that if the parent uses their own money not mine and they are buying the handgun for me as a gift that it is legal right?

My mom/dad knows I wanted a handgun and they also know that I have to be 21 to buy one not only because I told them like 6 months ago but because my dad owns a handgun at his house (I don't live with my dad). The reason I bring up that my mom/dad knew I wanted a pistol is because I don't want people to think I am trying to force my parents to buy my a handgun. They really are doing it on their own because they knew I wanted one like 6 months ago and since then I have went shooting numerous times.

This is the story basically. This literally was 2 days ago so this is recently. My mom said she was going for a walk so I said I would go with her. It was like 7 something pm but it looks like its 10pm because it gets dark quick. Anyways I was walking with my mom and there was a car that drove behind us and some of the people in it screamed out you f u c k e r s not in a joking way but in a serious mean way. They said something else but I couldn't make it out because it just sounded like people screaming and actually I didn't even know they were talking to us until my mom told me because I wasn't really paying attention.

Anyways I told my mom to cut through the ally because in my mind I knew that I could not leave my mom if something happens I mean she can't out run somebody like I can so I would be forced to fight off a group of people or face a gun who knows what they had in the car or what they were planning on doing. So we cut through the ally and there was this big freaking dog which was even worst because then I was think oh great now this big dog is going to attack us, lucky it just walked away. I told her that we were heading home because I didn't trust that car because we seen it drive by one more time but by then they didn't know we cut through the ally.

After that I told my mom what would you have done if they would have got out the car or had a weapon? She said I guess try to fight back or yell then I said thats why I can't wait until I turn 21 because stuff like this happens all the time for no reason. She then must have called my dad because the next day she said that her and my dad have decided to get me a gun if its legal to do so.

That money is coming out of their pocket not mine. So here is my question, it is legal for them to gift me a handgun right since its coming from their pockets. Also I am wondering if this is legal then would I be allowed to go with them to fill out forms or pick out a gun or do they have to do that themselfs? Well I assume they have to fill the form out themselfs but I mean am I allowed to pick out the gun or do they have to do that on their own?

I know I cannot conceal until I'm 21 but thats all I really wanted to double check if its legal to do before my dad goes and trys to gift me a gun. It was my understanding that its only illegal if I was to use my money right?

Oh and really why my parents have decided on this is not only just over that incident but a build up of things that has happened over the past 6 months, like I said people around my area look for trouble and I don't want to find out what the outcome of that means.
    Last edited by ICEN; January 14th, 2013 at 11:03 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Gifting a Handgun Legal?

Only read the first paragraph.

Yes INTRAstate transfers between 18+, PA residents, parent/child, grandparent/grandchild and spouses require no paperwork or FFL

To purchase yourself from an FFL, you need to be 21 for firearms (handguns) and 18 for long guns

Yes it is legal. Your parents go to a gun shop and buy a gun. On the 4473, they answer all questions truthfully.
    The one that states they are the true purchaser... It's ok for them to answer yes because they are.
    Once they have the gun transferred to them, they literally can hand it to you but wait till you get home since you don't have a LTCF and aren't allowed to carry now without it

You can get a NH/ME LTCF at 18 which would allow you to carry in PA I believe

I wouldn't carry outside the house until you spend a good amount of time memorizing the law a s getting your license to carry
    Last edited by BimmerJon; January 14th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

(Chester County)

To add to what BimmerJon wrote, the recipient cannot otherwise be a prohibited person.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ICEN View Post
    Hi I was wondering if it is legal for a dad/mom to gift a handgun to their son/daughter as long as they are at least 18 years of age.

The last time I was on this forum I was 19 (I'm 20 now)and kind of got out of control with the arguing so I hope that won't happen again because looking back it was dumb so I apologize for that. So I've been shooting and learning more about guns ever since then but I just wanted to know a simple answer.

I have enough money to go get a mossberg 500 but I have to get ID first lol so I have to wait. It is my understanding that if the parent uses their own money not mine and they are buying the handgun for me as a gift that it is legal right?

My mom/dad knows I wanted a handgun and they also know that I have to be 21 to buy one not only because I told them like 6 months ago but because my dad owns a handgun at his house (I don't live with my dad). The reason I bring up that my mom/dad knew I wanted a pistol is because I don't want people to think I am trying to force my parents to buy my a handgun. They really are doing it on their own because they knew I wanted one like 6 months ago and since then I have went shooting numerous times.

This is the story basically. This literally was 2 days ago so this is recently. My mom said she was going for a walk so I said I would go with her. It was like 7 something pm but it looks like its 10pm because it gets dark quick. Anyways I was walking with my mom and there was a car that drove behind us and some of the people in it screamed out you f u c k e r s not in a joking way but in a serious mean way. They said something else but I couldn't make it out because it just sounded like people screaming and actually I didn't even know they were talking to us until my mom told me because I wasn't really paying attention.

Anyways I told my mom to cut through the ally because in my mind I knew that I could not leave my mom if something happens I mean she can't out run somebody like I can so I would be forced to fight off a group of people or face a gun who knows what they had in the car or what they were planning on doing. So we cut through the ally and there was this big freaking dog which was even worst because then I was think oh great now this big dog is going to attack us, lucky it just walked away. I told her that we were heading home because I didn't trust that car because we seen it drive by one more time but by then they didn't know we cut through the ally.

After that I told my mom what would you have done if they would have got out the car or had a weapon? She said I guess try to fight back or yell then I said thats why I can't wait until I turn 21 because stuff like this happens all the time for no reason. She then must have called my dad because the next day she said that her and my dad have decided to get me a gun if its legal to do so.

That money is coming out of their pocket not mine. So here is my question, it is legal for them to gift me a handgun right since its coming from their pockets. Also I am wondering if this is legal then would I be allowed to go with them to fill out forms or pick out a gun or do they have to do that themselfs? Well I assume they have to fill the form out themselfs but I mean am I allowed to pick out the gun or do they have to do that on their own?

I know I cannot conceal until I'm 21 but thats all I really wanted to double check if its legal to do before my dad goes and trys to gift me a gun. It was my understanding that its only illegal if I was to use my money right?

Oh and really why my parents have decided on this is not only just over that incident but a build up of things that has happened over the past 6 months, like I said people around my area look for trouble and I don't want to find out what the outcome of that means.

You are 20 years old and have no ID?

Lol yes I'm getting my id the only reason I don't have id is because I am just waiting to get my drivers license because it would be a waste of money to go pay for a photo id if I'm getting my license soon. Only reason I waited so long was because I had no reason to drive around being I work with my uncle.