Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default a marlin critique

a critique on recent rifles from marlin by mad orge:
    (see his post under 3-23-08)

Marlin is slipping hard and fast: We just got in our latest order of rifles from Marlin. Everyone of them has extremely shoddy wood on them. The fitting of wood to metal and even just the finish on the wood is something I'd expect on a Puma. Overlaps, gaps, uneven and unfinished cuts, pitting, and splintering. This is a huge departure from what I am used to seeing from Marlin. The wood its self is also disappointing. but I can deal with less than steller lumber. I mean, look at the wood CZ puts on their .22's. Rather poor, I must say (unless you spend extra for a Deluxe and its awesome) but at least the wood fits the metal.
    I'm very disappointed in Marlin - which has always been one of my favorite rifle makers. To let this sort of crap out of the factory is insulting.
    If my customers wanted Cheap - they'd buy a Puma. Which I have to say has been improving themselves a great deal. Nicer selections of wood and better fitting. Marlin needs to slam a Red Bull, and wake the heck up... because I've already had one customer say "Why buy the Marlin, when I could get the Puma for 200 less and it's a better looking gun?" I had no answer to that. I wanted to talk about the quality of their metal work at least, but I couldn't even mention that. The action felt like it was full of sand and small rocks. It was bad. Really bad. I had been wanting to buy a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag for a long time now. I know this... you guys know this... but when we got in these new guns and I picked up that stainless .44 Carbine, at first I was jazzed about it. But then I started looking at it closer. What a disaster. I am going to keep looking for the right one, because it isn't coming from the Marlin factory anymore. Trust me, no one is more disappointed than I am. If this is Marlin trying to do some cost cutting to increase profit – they took a wrong turn down a dangerous road. Because for that plan to work, they still have to sell the guns they make.
    can anyone verify this firsthand?
    i'm curious if the new XL-7's have these problems...
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: a marlin critique

You'll have things like that happen. Theres been a number of big name makes and models have "issues" over the years.

I'm gonna suspect Marlin's problem being related to the recent buy out by that financial group. Given time, I'm sure things will straighten back out.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Hokkmike Guest

This is disconcerting to say the least. How does the quality of Henry compare to Marlin and Puma?

(York County)

i'm assuming at this point that the manufacturing is "pre-remington", since the remington purchase of marlin was suppose to close at the end of January 08...not sure if the talk of the takeover in 07 would lead to quality issues or not...
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    This is disconcerting to say the least. How does the quality of Henry compare to Marlin and Puma?
    I would say that Henry is on par , if not better than Marlin. Dont get me wrong, I love Marlin rifles. But now I also love Henrys. Comparing my Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag. to my Henry Big Boy .44 Mag., fit and finish is about equal, both have very nicely fitted stocks and forends. Metal work is also excellent on both. The Henry does have a nicer grain in the stock. I would buy either again in a heartbeat.

(Berks County)

FWIW, I owned an old Puma in .357 and it was beautiful - great fit and finnish, slick action and trigger, great shooter.

Poster talks like they are still available - are they still being imported?
    I have owned about a dozen Marlin centerfires in various models and calibers - they go through phases like everyone else. Had one from the early 1950's that had terrible wood, but shot great.

mark
    Last edited by dogngun; March 27th, 2008 at 07:55 AM.
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(Montgomery County)

I purchased a Marlin 1895 XLR in 45-70 last June. It has a great trigger and shoots well. I took it on a hunting trip to Maine in August. It rained one day while we were out hunting. The next day the laminated stock had swelled up and cracked the butt plate spacer. The forearm was ok. When I returned home, the rifle was immediately sent back to Marlin for repair by FCO. When it came back from Marlin, one of the levers on the Leupold QD scope base was broken off so it was sent back to Marlin again the same day. There was no sign of damage during transit. The rifle came back in mid-Nov. with a new Leupold base. When I took a close look at the rifle, the butt pad had rough sanding marks on it from a grinding wheel to make it fit. I left it go at that as I was leaving for Maine again the next day and I wanted to take the rifle with me. This is my second Marlin rifle that I have had issues with.

JB