Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default More data on why AWB and magazine restriction won't work from foreign news

I hope I am not reposting information already shared by others: If so I ask forgiveness and to have a moderator merge the threads.

I follow foreign news during my lunch most days as those are one of the few general internet sites not blocked by my work's internet nanny filter.

Next time some anti tells you that the cure for mass shooting is to ban types of guns and hi capacity magazines tell them this: These two examples are incidents that occurred in the last three years.

United Kingdom 2010: a county where the ownership of all guns is strictly controlled and the average person is limited to just a few types of “sporting” type firearms. A man named Derrick Bird killed 12 and wounded 11 more using a bolt action .22 rimfire rifle and the only kind of shotgun allowed for ownership; a two round capacity gun with birdshot (buck shot is also banned in the UK). Well planned, his shooting spree was done by driving around the region shooting the unsuspecting victims at random and continuously moving to keep police from containing him until he committed suicide in a field.

Norway 2011: another country where owners must pass stringent background checks and all high capacity magazines are forbidden. The killer Brevik Anders planned his attack by building an explosive device which killed a number of people in the capital city of Oslo. He then donned a police uniform to stage his real attack. As law enforcement rushed to the city, he calmly took a public ferry to an island with a political youth camp saying he was going to provide a security briefing, then began shooting after he’d gathered people to hear him report. He was able to murder 77 people who, being trapped and unarmed were slaughtered en-mass (gun free zone). He used a semi-automatic sporting rifle with illegally obtained high capacity magazines. Even though the high capacity magazines are completely illegal in his country, he was able to evade the law to get them.

If you want further details just goggle either person’s name and read the news reports. All of my facts were gathered via BBC’s world news website and you can use any internet search engine to gather more detail on the spree shootings.

Default Re: More data on why AWB and magazine restriction won't work from foreign news

They have no intention of neutering criminals (F&F is Exhibit A of this). Their intention is on Creating more criminals from the law abiding and also neutering them with strict gun laws which will never deter criminals or the insane.

Their intent is clear.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Default Re: More data on why AWB and magazine restriction won't work from foreign news

Tagging on to this thread to add some more comparative data. Feel free to use this to correct or inform others as appropriate.

In 1967, before gun control, homicides in the UK were .7 per 100K, and in the US it was 6.2. That makes the US homicide rate almost 9 times higher. (I picked 1967, because both countries passed major new gun laws in 1968, and coincidentally homicide rates started going up quite a bit in both countries after that time) In 2011, The UK is up to 1.2, and the US is down to 4.7, making the US rate just under 4 times higher. In the meantime, the UK went all the way down the slippery slope to virtually a total gun ban, and the US didn't. Since 1992, the UK homicide rate has remained steady, even though that ban was enacted in 1998. The US rate has dropped steadily, and now stands at a 50 year low. The UK rate remains 60% higher than it was in 1967, before gun control. Gun laws don't save lives.