Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 9mm Identification

My grandfather found this packed away along with 22 other boxes. Where is this from? Anyone ever use it before?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 9mm Identification

is that Arabic? Im not familiar with that text so the ignorant 'merica in me defaults to that

(York County)

Looks like Hebrew so i would guess its IMI ammo.

Look at the head stamp and see if it has IMI and the NATO cross.

Last edited by Lee-online; January 11th, 2013 at 09:28 PM.

Looks like a box of Egyptian 9mmx19 that was imported a few decades back. If so, it was SMG ammo & the primers were particularly hard, and it was corrosive.

My friends and I bought it by the case. We tried it in all of our 9mms, it ran ok in M11/9 SMGs, that was about it. Even Belgian HPs occasionally struggled with it. I recall a primer cup blew a small plug in the firing pin channel, and then the plug rattled up into the barrel locking lugs. I didn't realize anything was up until the gun wouldn't go into battery & fire. No biggie, the plug dropped right out & no damage...but I'll be darned if I've ever seen *that* before.

It was about half the cost of mid-shelf 9mm at the time, I was happy to see the last of it go.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    My grandfather found this packed away along with 22 other boxes. Where is this from? Anyone ever use it before?

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Looks like a box of Egyptian 9mmx19 that was imported a few decades back. If so, it was SMG ammo & the primers were particularly hard, and it was corrosive.

My friends and I bought it by the case. We tried it in all of our 9mms, it ran ok in M11/9 SMGs, that was about it. Even Belgian HPs occasionally struggled with it. I recall a primer cup blew a small plug in the firing pin channel, and then the plug rattled up into the barrel locking lugs. I didn't realize anything was up until the gun wouldn't go into battery & fire. No biggie, the plug dropped right out & no damage...but I'll be darned if I've ever seen *that* before.

It was about half the cost of mid-shelf 9mm at the time, I was happy to see the last of it go.
    looks like you are right,

This is corrosive and loaded hot, +p+ ammo.

(York County)

Second the ID as Egyptian ball ammo. I bought a case from Paragon back in the mid 1980s. Mostly shot okay for me, though the hard primers didn't go bang in some guns. Very corrosive!

(Lycoming County)

That is Egyption ball ammo , I had a bunch of it for sale when I was in the business back in the eighties , the wholesaler I bought it from (SOG) recalled it all and reimbursed me for it because it was found to be designed as sub gun ammo . Hence the hard primers and it was too hot for some 9mm firearms , a liability issue I guess . Be careful with it .

(Montgomery County)

The tell-tale for Arabic is the numbering (the "v") being one of them. Plus, like a lot of the languages from the Middle East to the East (before China) the language is read from Right to Left and in the case of Hindi and Thai (just a couple). below the line. Dave_n