Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Post Response from Casey

Hi All,

FYI I wanted to share the response I got from Casey (you probably got the same response if you contacted him so if you are seeing this twice sorry).

I made the part that is infuriating "bold". Please let him know your thoughts. Rather than using his contact form on his website consider using this link which will based on your zip code, send your message to ALL of your representation through one easy form rather than having to do each one separately:

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...046526&type=ML

Casey's Response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

As you know, on December 14, 2012, an individual in Newtown, Connecticut forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and opened fire on teachers and staff in the building. In total, the perpetrator murdered 20 students between the ages of six and seven years old, as well as six adults, many of whom heroically sought to stop the shooter and save the lives of children. Like many Americans, I was deeply affected by the scope and brutality of this act. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

The motives that led to this senseless massacre will likely never fully be comprehended. However, I believe that all public officials have a responsibility to work to prevent such an event from occurring again. This incident reflects a complex problem that requires a comprehensive strategy, including funding for law enforcement officers and the mental health care system. Too many individuals with mental illness are not receiving the services they need and tragically, sometimes a small number of these individuals turn violent. I have supported access to affordable and accessible mental health services for all Americans and I will continue to review proposed solutions to improve our mental health system.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Pennsylvania has a fine hunting and sporting tradition, and I will defend the right to bear arms as it is enshrined in our Constitution. However, I also believe that the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School highlights very serious dangers posed to public safety by the misuse of certain weapons and technology originally developed for warfare. According to reports, the shooter was able to kill many children and adults very quickly because he possessed a military-style semiautomatic weapon. He also allegedly used magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition and carried hundreds of rounds more. After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity clips. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again soon.

Our Nation has already begun a critical dialogue as we examine what steps must be taken to prevent this type of tragedy in the future. On December 19, 2012, President Obama announced the formation of an inter-agency task initiative, led by Vice President Biden, to study these issues and recommend possible actions. I look forward to reviewing these proposals, as well to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to address this complex issue.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Default Re: Response from Casey

Same reply that I got.

Considering how long ago I sent my first piece of communication to him, I find the timing interesting. It seems to me that he could only reply to this once he figured out what the president's plan was and it seems completely in sync with the current party line.

Every other politician I contacted has gotten back to me irrespective of what else was going on in the government.

I sent Casey a reply this morning, asking him to understand that the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting. I then presented him with the facts that more people are killed every year with bare hands than the rifles he wants to outlaw and asked if we should all be handcuffed in public.

I then asked for a personal reply, rather than a form letter.
    Last edited by vinlander; January 10th, 2013 at 12:37 PM.

(York County)

We need to recall this liar and traitor.

(York County)

I recieved the same form letter from him. We can't actually recall him as there is no provision in PA to recall federal office holders.

(Allegheny County)

HAHAHAHAHA! There has to be at least seven of these threads running since yesterday!

Normally I HATE seeing duplicates, but in this case it's good exposure for that traitor.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

I got the same canned reply. I responded to it, and politely informed him that he was standing on the wrong side of history, as we, Pennsylvanians, Americans, gun owners will ensure he becomes unemployed in the next round he's up for election.

(Lancaster County)

Angry Re: Response from Casey

Maybe I have bad info but awile ago there was a Video showing that the local police on searching the shooters car found the so called Assault Rifle in the locked trunk and I was led to believe the shooter used a pistol to kill all of the kids and teachers???? Does someone have more accurate info so we can refute what CASEY BELIEVES happened ikn this killing in newtown...

(Bucks County)

Got the same reply.

Here's the response I sent back:

"Dear Senator Casey,

Thank you for your response to my recent letter.

Please understand that some of your most politically active constituents view the proposed "assault weapons" ban as a direct infringement of our natural rights recognized by the 2nd amendment.

As I am sure you understand, the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting, sporting or recreational use of firearms. The 2nd amendment was plainly intended to recognize the right of free people to possess arms comparable to those of its government. The "military-style" weapons you seek to ban are precisely the weapons the 2nd amendment sought to keep in the hands of free citizens.

This truth might not be politically comfortable given the understandable emotions in the wake of this horrible massacre, but the intent of the 2nd amendment is plainly obvious.

The United States is not a democracy. It is a constitutional republic. The constitution specifically and plainly recognized the people's inalienable and natural rights for moments such as this. Even if the vast majority of Americans supported this ban, a just government would be constrained by constitutional protections, and ultimately, the people's rightful refusal to recognize the legitimacy of any law that infringes these upon rights.

I passionately urge you to reconsider your position. Political expediency does not negate your sworn oath to protect and defend the Constitution. I am bound by the same oath as a former Naval Officer. I intend to keep my oath. I hope you intend to keep yours and hold it sacred."

(Montgomery County)

After reading Mr. Casey's response, I felt compelled to respond:
    After reviewing your response and position concerning the assault on the Second Amendment, I am appalled at how easily you cower from your sworn oath to uphold the founding principles of this great nation. I was hoping you would have known that standing by your convictions is not always easy or the popular thing to do; however it defines you as a person. It is now apparent to me that you have no interest in protecting my rights that as you stated in your response are “enshrined in our Constitution”. Perhaps you are confused on why the founding fathers included such a provision in the Constitution. Do you actually think those statesmen wanted to guarantee Americans a hunting and sporting tradition? Clearly, it was created to enable citizens of a free nation to rebel against a tyrannical government. Let me assure you I will work untiringly towards the goal of making this your last term in office. This country does not need emotional politicians; we need representatives with a backbone.

(Dauphin County)

I called Sen. Casey's DC office today and spoke with one of his aides. He indicated that Sen. Casey has been a supporter of 2nd Ammendment rights but has recently indicated he may support assault weapons and high cap mag ban. I politely reminded him that Casey was recently reelected with support from NRA and PA gun owners and that we expect his support to protect our 2A rights.

Please contact Sen Casey's office to voice your concerns over potential antigun legislation. If they hear from enough of us, it may get his attention.

Here's how to contact Sen. Casey:

http://www.casey.senate.gov/contact/

Keep the pressure on our elected officials. Remember, their job is to represent us!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast