Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default SA XDm Compact Mag Extensions

So I'm looking at picking up a Springfield Armory XDm Compact and I'm looking at the 19 round (9mm) extended magazine.

The question I have and haven't been able to find an answer through internet research is this...

There are three types of extensions (#1, #2, #3) and I cannot figure out the difference between the three. All seem to go with the 9mm pistol, all appear to be 19 rounds.

Are they different extension lengths--for comfort purposes, different grip bottom styles, different grip patterns? What's the deal?

Given the current political climate, I want to purchase the higher capacity magazines first, in case I cannot get them by the time I plan to make the handgun purchase--and I want to make sure I get the right magazine.

Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: SA XDm Compact Mag Extensions

They are not different length. The swell on the grip changes by your choice of back strap. Each back strap has a number on it. The extensions on the mags are sleeves - the mags are still the same size. Because the swell is different on the back strap it must match the sleeve to get the best uniform continuous grip profile down into the extension sleeve. So if you change your back strap - then you need to change the sleeve of the mag extension to the one that matches the same number stamped onto the back strap. Technically you don't "have" to but you will feel a little bump on the grip where the uneven transition occurs. You can usually order the high round mags with or without the sleeve. That's why you see them with the number sometimes. Conversely you can order just the mag and then the sleeves separately. The implication is that the XDm kit only contains one of each. So if you buy another higher capacity mag, then you need to buy another sleeve - you can't just pick another one out of the box. That's why you should make sure you are satisfied with the grip configuration for your hands before deciding to stock up on extra mags because later on if you change your mind and you have already bought like 5 mags with sleeves, then you're going to end up buying 5 new sleeves too.

Hope that makes sense.

I had one - cool piece of kit.
    Last edited by galvanni; January 9th, 2013 at 01:31 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: SA XDm Compact Mag Extensions

Quote Originally Posted by galvanni View Post
    They are not different length. The swell on the grip changes by your choice of back strap. Each back strap has a number on it. The extensions on the mags are sleeves - the mags are still the same size. Because the swell is different on the back strap it must match the sleeve to get the best uniform continuous grip profile down into the extension sleeve. So if you change your back strap - then you need to change the sleeve of the mag extension to the one that matches the same number stamped onto the back strap. Technically you don't "have" to but you will feel a little bump on the grip where the uneven transition occurs. You can usually order the high round mags with or without the sleeve. That's why you see them with the number sometimes. Conversely you can order just the mag and then the sleeves separately. The implication is that the XDm kit only contains one of each. So if you buy another higher capacity mag, then you need to buy another sleeve - you can't just pick another one out of the box. That's why you should make sure you are satisfied with the grip configuration for your hands before deciding to stock up on extra mags because later on if you change your mind and you have already bought like 5 mags with sleeves, then you're going to end up buying 5 new sleeves too.

Hope that makes sense.

I had one - cool piece of kit.
    Thanks for the info--that definitely helps. Just to clarfiy, when I said "different lengths", I meant different lengths of the sleeve, not the magazine itself. Your terminology of "sleeve" made it clear.