Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: NRA to meet with Biden tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    I'd like to think in a post-Cincinnati world that the NRA would not trade anything away. History dictates a tendency to do otherwise. In fact, I'm willing to go against my own instinct (to say at least meet with Biden to say they did) and would prefer they did not. It's not going to change the next 3 steps in the kabuki dance anyone and certainly won't impact the outcome. The outcome will be influenced by you and I calling and writing and faxing and emailing our congresscritters and getting friends/family to do the same.
    If it weren't for the NRA there wouldn't be any need for BO and Biden to trade anything. They would just ban what they want to without any fear of competent opposition.

GOA and SAF and the rest are fine organizations, but no one in Congress is afraid of them...precisely because they stand on principle and don't play politics like NRA does.

(Lebanon County)

We'll see what they do.

I've seen them sell us out too many times to arbitrarily trust them. But I'm giving them one last chance. If they sell us out this time then I will never forgive or forget and I will oppose them as strongly as I oppose the anti gun groups.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

No earthly reason that in this day and age that ANY gunowner isn't a member of the LARGEST pro-2A lobby on the planet.
    Lots of reasons.....

1. Some gun owners don't like who the NRA endorses.

2. Some gun owners don't like the NRA's "God, Guts and Guns" approach. I bet others figure that "NRA is for white Christian males", which is not true. The NRA has been reaching out to anyone.

3. Some gun owners don't "want to get involved in politics". They imagine if they join NRA that they'll be "on a list". They are already on a list of some form or another - who are they fooling?

4. Some people "hate red necks". They associate the NRA with "pick up trucks with gun racks". I'd bet that most NRA members don't have a pick up truck. I've heard as a group the NRA are better educated and financially successful members than the Brady Campaign. Small business people, tradesmen and professionals for NRA versus College students and Soccer Moms for the Brady Campaign.

For many years the NRA did come across as a "good ole boy" outfit. Flag, Mom and Apple pie. Some of us don't wave flags, we're allergic to pie and figure that our Mom is our Mom and isn't the NRA's concern. We join anyhow. The Media are the NRA's best advertisement. When Liberals groan about the NRA I feel like sending them more money.

The NRA is doing a fine job. Could they do better? Sure. They'll work as hard as we can help them to work.

Some people don't think things all the way through. If it weren't for the NRA Deer Hunters would be paying a $200.00 transfer tax and submitting finger prints and "Other Bio-metric information" to buy a single shot deer rifle.

Sporting hunting would be a privilege. Very tightly regulated. For the Safety of the Children or whatever crap these people would use on the gullible.

Forget handguns....

Senator John Chafee used to introduce a bill into the Senate that made owning a handgun a Federal offense. Five years in prison.

In the Soviet Union owning a handgun was a crime under Article 67 - terrorism. Penalty was.... five years in prison.

Great minds think alike I guess. People ought to join the NRA.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    Lots of reasons.....

1. Some gun owners don't like who the NRA endorses.

2. Some gun owners don't like the NRA's "God, Guts and Guns" approach. I bet others figure that "NRA is for white Christian males", which is not true. The NRA has been reaching out to anyone.

3. Some gun owners don't "want to get involved in politics". They imagine if they join NRA that they'll be "on a list". They are already on a list of some form or another - who are they fooling?

4. Some people "hate red necks". They associate the NRA with "pick up trucks with gun racks". I'd bet that most NRA members don't have a pick up truck. I've heard as a group the NRA are better educated and financially successful members than the Brady Campaign. Small business people, tradesmen and professionals for NRA versus College students and Soccer Moms for the Brady Campaign.

People ought to join the NRA.
    1. This is exactly how we got OMao II....and yes he wants to be known as OMAO.
    This mentality IS going to get us gun control. Any Gun Owner still thinking this way is a total JACKASS.

2-4. All LSM Propaganda repeated ad nauseum. and the sheep eat it in their fenced in pasture.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Chester County)

I too do not like some of the things NRA has done, but still renew my membership because they do usually represent my interests. It's only $25 a year, but millions of $25 add up to some real clout. Geez, most of us spend way more than that just on gas to go to the gun shops and ranges. They were very effective in the 1994 mid term elections. The only reason the dems didn't try to push gun control through when they had a super majority in 2009 is that they were afraid of another 1994. Supporting the NRA and other good organizations is essential to making them fear 2014. Remember, the entire house and a third of the senate face elections in 2014. The dems will not have the large urban turnout punching the "Straight Democratic" choice, and it doesn't much matter in the House elections anyway. Make them fear Ajax in 2014 (I wonder how many are old enough to get that.)

Here's another idea - beside writing your congressmen, how many of us have also written to the NRA about our concerns? I wrote them to say that I don't want to see LaPierre give an inch to Biden, and I just received this canned reply:

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting us. We have received a number of inquiries in light of the tragic Newtown murders and subsequent legislative proposals.

NRA has offered a number of concrete proposals that we believe will help reduce school shootings, while still respecting the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners, including:

· Enhancing school security through our proposed National School Shield Program (www.nraschoolshield.com);

· Addressing the obvious shortcomings in our nation’s mental health system; and

· Focusing on reducing the glorification of violence in Hollywood and in our pop culture.

NRA will not support gun or magazine bans, which have been proven to have no impact on deranged, violent criminals, but that will prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising their right to own firearms for lawful purposes as protected by the Second Amendment. For more information on this issue, please visit our websites at www.NRAILA.org and www.gunbanfacts.com.

Again, thank you for contacting us and sharing your views.

Sincerely,

Campbell

NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

nraila.org
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Great news! Walmart has agreed to attend the meeting. Whew! Now I feel better. WTH???
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fujisawa-sensai View Post
    <snip>

GOA and SAF and the rest are fine organizations, but no one in Congress is afraid of them...precisely because they stand on principle and don't play politics like NRA does.
    Nor do these groups have the membership numbers (or so we hope) of the NRA.

And (as we also hope) membership numbers equate to votes.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    1. This is exactly how we got OMao II....and yes he wants to be known as OMAO.
    This mentality IS going to get us gun control. Any Gun Owner still thinking this way is a total JACKASS.

2-4. All LSM Propaganda repeated ad nauseum. and the sheep eat it in their fenced in pasture.
    Well, thanks for calling all of the people you are trying to recruit total jackasses. We really appreciate it. That really makes all of us want to join all of you guys who apparently can't read history or haven't paid attention for the last 80 or 90 years.

Here's some more recruiting suggestions for you.

You could offer to sell out "assault weapons" to preserve your Fudd guns AGAIN.

You could offer to sell out machine guns to preserve your Fudd guns AGAIN.

You could offer to sell out magazines over 10 rounds to preserve your Fudd guns AGAIN.

When the NRA gives A ratings to guys who always propose and vote for gun control, yes, there is a problem with who they endorse.

I'm giving them another (last) chance.

But I'm shocked and stunned that you guys can't figure out why you don't get more support
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Lawrence County)

you nra koolaide drinkers need to read more than just the nra's propaganda material.

They have been selling you out for years.

(Bucks County)

If it wasn't for the NRA, you younger folks wouldn't even see a picture of a gun in a book. You have no idea how they have fought and how long they have fought. These liberals are relentless and the NRA has held them off for the most part for the past 50 years. Do-nothing see where that gets you.

Forget all the minutia. The NRA is probably 99% successful and some folks want to focus on the 1% percent. That mentality will get you exactly what you don't want
    Last edited by PocketProtector; January 9th, 2013 at 05:38 PM.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast