Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Concealed Carry - Cab Driver with a dilemma...

I drive a taxi cab and have my LTCF, had it for over a year now. I own a .380 and a Glock 23 that I'm interested in CC'ing in my cab for obvious reasons.

I am aware of two products, the Kingston Car Seat Holster:
    http://www.desantisholster.com/store...Glock/19-23-32

and the Gum Creek Customs vehicle holster:
    http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/Vehic...-Mount-p8.html

Key concerns:
    my .380 is small, making concealment ideal. However, sitting in a seat makes a pocket holster impractical if I need to draw it quickly. Lately, I've been putting it in my left pocket, so that if need be, I can draw it and point it over my right shoulder as a right handed draw is also impractical.

my Glock 23 is much larger, and I have a blackhawk lvl2 serpa holster. This holster makes concealment ideal, but would be extremely difficult to draw quickly if need be.

I would prefer not to have either of my firearms in "plain view" of my customers, many of which are regulars and I rely on their business. My rights and beliefs are just fine, but I work in a service industry, and I would like to respect theirs as well. I don't want to get into the argument of "my cab my rules" or try to convince them of anything. It's a cab ride, not a soapbox. That being said, as long as my weapon is concealed in a strong degree, then I would be satisfied.

I do tend to leave my cab on occasion. At some point, I'll need to use the mens room. Also, I travel to the airport to pick up customers, and drop them off, requiring me to exit my vehicle to help them with their luggage. I have contacted the appropriate personnel (AC Police, Airport management, etc) and am aware of my rights and responsibilities as a firearms permit carrier. Also, I would exit my vehicle for a short break for something to eat or to stretch my legs when needed.

At this point, I'm considering the DeSantis Kingston holster, due to ease of access, and stronger concealment. If I need to exit my vehicle at the airport, it's tucked in front of the seat, close to the floor, and not easy to see. Likewise for my customers. I can always holster my weapon on me if I need to exit for a longer period of time (breaks, meals, etc...)

Does anyone have any other ideas? Options? Is there something I might be missing here? Is anyone aware of any other products that could be a viable option for me? Tucking anything between the seat and the column is NOT an option as I do have customers that sit in the front seat. My weapon needs to be either directly in front of me, or to my left between the seat and to door.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry - Cab Driver with a dilemma...

First point regarding the airport. If you are not going through security then you can carry normally.

I would keep the weapon on you and not tucked in an unattended vehicle.

(Washington County)

Although not ideal for typical carry, for your particular circumstances I would look into a cross-draw holster.

I second not leaving it in your car, no matter how short the time.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Pike County)

Another don't leave it in the car vote.

How about one of the "tactical" shirts that have the compartments for the gun built in? Most carry the gun like it was in a shoulder holster. Any small .380 will go well in one.

(Venango County)

Shoulder holsters are an option in close spaces, especially for quick restroom runs. For larger frames, the vertical shoulder holster can be very nice. However, I think it would be difficult to deploy a large frame for defense inside the car; maybe not so bad defending against someone outside the car.

I also have a tiny Beretta that fits inside a shirt pocket or can be in an inside jacket / coat pocket. Plus there are tactical clothing options such as vests etc. but I have never tried those.

Find something that works for you. IMHO, the less handling of a firearm, the better. So I would tend to want to keep it 'on person' unless it was a long trip or something.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    How about one of the "tactical" shirts that have the compartments for the gun built in?
    You can buy them locally, I just seen them here recently, sorry I didn't catch the price. (awesome store)
    http://dept.neuniforms.com/locations.php
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Berks County)

Would an ankle holster be an option? Would eliminate leaving it in the car, would also keep it out of site at least most of the year till you break out the shorts.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tek View Post
    Would an ankle holster be an option? Would eliminate leaving it in the car, would also keep it out of site at least most of the year till you break out the shorts.
    I used to wear an ankle holster at work, most uncomfortable form of carrying I've ever tried, and that was with a little p238
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

(Bucks County)

another vote for never leaving the firearm unattended in the car.
    Pocket carry is troublesome for the reason of quick access. Inside the waistband holsters can be very uncomfortable in a car, and also slow to access sitting down. An ankle holster seems like a bit of a stretch, literally, if needed quickly.

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend a shoulder holster for every day carry, in this case, with most of your time spent sitting in a car, it seems like a good option to look into. Get something that secures to your belt with a vertical strap and you'll have tension to draw effectively. Horizontal or Vertical draw is more of a personal preference.

This method would be easily covered with an open button-down shirt or light jacket. your customers would never be the wiser.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tek View Post
    I dont think it would be real accessible when the robber is in the back seat.
    I vote shoulder holster and the .40 cal. A .380 might not shoot through the cushion into the back seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast