Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Recycling Brass

(Philadelphia County)

Default Recycling Brass

(Newbie here, first real post)
    Hey guys,
    Does anyone know of a recycling center in the philadelphia, montgomery, or bucks county areas(close to philly) that take or give good prices per pound of fired brass? I have a 5 gallon bucket and some change of 9mm and 38 special, and more on the way . I started saving my brass with no intention of reloading or recycling (i had no idea u could recycle it until i read the forums), just because i felt guilty and thought "why the hell not save it, its my brass/money". And also...is it ok to leave the primers in or do i have to remove them?
    Thanks for any input
    Jim

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Recycling Brass

If you are posative it is once fired then bag it up in 500 and 1000 count lots and sell it online as once fired brass.

It is worth WAY more to a reloader than it is to a scrap dealer!

For instance Lake City once fired 5.56 brass is selling right now between 65 and 75 bucks per thousand depending on a few things. 1000 LC 5.56 cases weights right in about 13.4 pounds. With scrap brass hovering in the $2.00 per pound area, you would only get $26. bucks for $70. worth of brass.

If what you have is once fired then send me a PM with weight and calibers. I may be interested in buying in if you have enough of it.

Rich W.

(Philadelphia County)

its maybe 75% 9mm and 25% .38 spl. I didnt think there was that many 9mm or .38 reloaders....

Quote Originally Posted by jimlc55 View Post
    its maybe 75% 9mm and 25% .38 spl. I didnt think there was that many 9mm or .38 reloaders....

Well i'm one of those 9mm reloaders.

MG's eat a lot of ammo
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Berks County)

I think that anyone that reloads purty much reloads anything they shoot. 38 spl the guys that do cowboy shoots would probably be all over.

(Monroe County)

The 9mm only started becomeing real populer in the 80'S when quite a few PD's went to the Glock 19. Up untill that time the most populer handgun was the 38spl. at one time just about every Police Dept in the country carried the 38spl. and when they retired those firearms most of them ended up in the hands of the general public. I think you would be surprised how many people still carry the 38 it is just that most of them refuse to admit it to people online.

The number 4 most populer handgun I sell is still the S&W 637 airweight 38. It just seems that gunforums are the MAN AMONG MEN types of places to hang out so you never hear much about the 38spl wheel guns.

There are also quite a few 357 mag. shooters that like to kill paper with the cheaper 38spl instead of 357mag.

In my opinion you have brass for the 2 most populer handgun calibers out there.

Rich W.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks Rich,
    One of the main reasons i bought 9mm and .38 is because of its popularity, fun, effectiveness, and price ratios... I'll seperate the brass, weigh it, and PM u to let u know. Its all PMC, WWB, Blazzer Brass, and Federal. Im really good about not stepping on my brass too. I also have once fired .22 lr haha
    Thanks
    Jim

(York County)

I have a lot of brass that can't be reloaded and brass that has been reloaded too many times. What should i expect to get for scrap price for the brass?

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by RJH245 View Post
    I have a lot of brass that can't be reloaded and brass that has been reloaded too many times. What should i expect to get for scrap price for the brass?
    Brass scrap prices are $1.50 to $2.00 a pound. All depends on the area of the country you live in. And even the area of the state you live. Where I work, we have two metal recyclers and they fight over prices a lot. So we get a good price for scrap metal. But my in-laws only have one place to go where they live and they get screwed on price.