Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Emergency Preparedness interest?

UPDATE:
    I think some people may have misinterpreted the purpose of my initial post.

The intent of the post was purely to gauge interest in topics for a future block of instruction and sharing. It was not a sales pitch nor one designed to make money from people. I had stated the cost would be minimal, more specifically around $25.00 to cover facility use and training material.

It was purely a moral endeavor designed to share information with other good people of like mind. It has taken me many, many years of hard work and dedication to learn what works. Bringing together good people to share their collective experience had the potential for great benefit to all parties, as people who have interest generally have information and skills that contribute to the collective goal. Unfortunately, I have a very strong belief that many will need this information in the future, given decisions made in Washington, combined with the overall decline of societal values and the increased resultant threat.

Real preparation is a long road and there's always more to do. Based upon the overall feedback, interest and availability, I have made the decision to focus myself in other areas that are likely to contribute towards my personal goals.

Hopefully, at least broaching this topic will serve as a catalyst for preparation and the desire to acquire more information. I wish you all well and hope you'll take whatever steps you're comfortable with to take care of you and your loved ones.

Best Regards

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am attempting to gauge the interest for conducting a course to cover some of the material below. The information covered may be dependent on time constraints and class interest.

This course of instruction would hypothetically cover such basics as:

1. FEMA preparedness guidelines and why they're inadequate
    2. Water storage, collection and purification
    3. Cost effective bulk food storage
    4. Power generation through various means, battery systems, etc.
    5. Fuel availability, storage and preservation.
    6. Emergency heating, methods and sources
    7. Discussion on firearms, ammunition and training
    8. Terrorism threats, both foreign and domestic sources
    9. Threats from Nuclear, Biological, Chemical and improvised devices
    10. Home security and how to make your home less vulnerable
    11. Essential Medical supplies and sources for proper training
    12. Discussion on individual security planning, threat assessment and response

Qualifications:
    I'm an NRA Certified Instructor for NRA approved courses, Range Master and have more than 450 hours of formal training in the military, law enforcement and civilian realms. I'm retired military with a background in investigations, intelligence and numerous security related fields. My primary emphasis as a firearms instructor has been in teaching their defensive application and more importantly, the mindset necessary to win a deadly force encounter.

The purpose of this course is to bring like minded, responsible citizens together to share the information I have learned over the years I have been doing this. Secondly, it would also provide a venue for others to share the same. The cost for this course would be minimal to cover costs. This is not a money making venture, but a venture of conscience to help other citizens become better prepared through knowledge.

Please send me a message with your top 5 areas of interest....i.e, 1,6,7,9,11
    and how many hours of instruction you'd like to see on these subjects, at one sitting...
    Last edited by RIG4DIVE; January 26th, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
    -Citizens own guns, subjects don't.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Emergency Preparedness interest?

Quote Originally Posted by RIG4DIVE View Post
    I am attempting to gauge the interest for conducting a course to cover some of the material below. The information covered may be dependent on time constraints and class interest.

This course of instruction would hypothetically cover such basics as:

1. FEMA preparedness guidelines and why they're inadequate
    2. Water storage, collection and purification
    3. Cost effective bulk food storage
    4. Power generation through various means, battery systems, etc.
    5. Fuel availability, storage and preservation.
    6. Emergency heating, methods and sources
    7. Discussion on firearms, ammunition and training
    8. Terrorism threats, both foreign and domestic sources
    9. Threats from Nuclear, Biological, Chemical and improvised devices
    10. Home security and how to make your home less vulnerable
    11. Essential Medical supplies and sources for proper training
    12. Discussion on individual security planning, threat assessment and response

While I do not consider myself to be an expert in any particular field, I have spent many years doing extensive research and testing in these areas. Equally important, I have learned what doesn't work.

Please send me a message with your top 5 areas of interest....i.e, 1,6,7,9,11
    and how many hours of instruction you'd like to see on these subjects, at one sitting...
    It may help if you list any training and experance you have. Have you conducted classes before? It is nice to be humble but stating that you are not an expert does not inspire confidence in me as far as putting out hard earned money. (Not being a prick, just pointing out my initial reaction).
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    It may help if you list any training and experance you have. Have you conducted classes before? It is nice to be humble but stating that you are not an expert does not inspire confidence in me as far as putting out hard earned money. (Not being a prick, just pointing out my initial reaction).
    I guess that is a big question also. Will this be a class you plan on charging a fee for or for like minded individuals to share ideas and help those who are interested with less knowledge.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by harty View Post
    I guess that is a big question also. Will this be a class you plan on charging a fee for or for like minded individuals to share ideas and help those who are interested with less knowledge.
    Judging by the last sentence I would assume it is him instructing others. This leads me to believe he would be charging at least a nominal fee.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you Mpan72 and harty for great input. I'll address both questions by editing the post below. Thanks again to the both of you.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RIG4DIVE View Post
    Thank you Mpan72 and harty for great input. I'll address both questions by editing the post below. Thanks again to the both of you.
    No problem at all you are very welcome. And I would be interested in all of those topics you have listed with maybe the exception of number 1. Thanks for posting as I have actually just begun to look for and speak with individuals in my area about some of the items you have posted.

(Wayne County)

Wasn't the last episode of Doomsday Preppers about people in NYC trying to get training from so called "experts". Good idea if people are willing to spend money on that. In the end, I perceived that these folks had no chance given the massive population and therefore massive craziness.
    Last edited by SkullBone; January 7th, 2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: "In the end..."

(Allegheny County)

Please let me know if anyone else is interested in such a presentation. Please see original post.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SkullBone View Post
    Wasn't the last episode of Doomsday Preppers about people in NYC trying to get training from so called "experts". Good idea if people are willing to spend money on that. In the end, I perceived that these folks had no chance given the massive population and therefore massive craziness.
    I agree SkullBone. I had serious doubts about both their preparation, plans and mindset. Regardless, it's a far sight better than those who will do nothing to prepare, then sit and cry when the Government doesn't do it for them. As the saying goes.....Intelligent men learn from their mistakes, but wise men learn from the mistakes of others. Cheers.

(Allegheny County)

Going once?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast