Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Found in trash rifle transfer question

A friend of mine who does house restoration found an old German Mauser rifle in the trash and wants to give it to me. I guess it's a C&R since it's 1934 or 36. What is the best way to keep this legal? An FFL transfer? How much does it worth anyway? Thanks.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Found in trash rifle transfer question

Long guns dont require transfer in PA...I know there is info on this exact subject finding guns in a house...

(Philadelphia County)

I've seen some past topics, but they were about guns found in houses that they recently purchased or from house owned by parent/dad. This one was found in the trash.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I've seen some past topics, but they were about guns found in houses that they recently purchased or from house owned by parent/dad. This one was found in the trash.

Al
    found in the trash...hmmm might want to go through ffl make sure the gun was not used in some crime...im not to versed in that matter sorry

(Schuylkill County)

It may also be stolen or used in a crime.

(Jefferson County)

Lost/mislaid/abandoned property isn't immediately up for grabs. The proper means to claim such things varies from state to state, and municipality to municipality. Most require the item be handed over to police(or other official), announcement made over a certain period in newspapers/fliers, then after a period of 30/60/90 days you can claim it.

If it was known for a fact that the gun was put in the garbage for disposal, there might be a means for someone to make a rightful claim to it. However, there is also the matter that garbage set out for or in a container owned by a company - the refuse is owned by the garbage collection company.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Lost/mislaid/abandoned property isn't immediately up for grabs. The proper means to claim such things varies from state to state, and municipality to municipality. Most require the item be handed over to police(or other official), announcement made over a certain period in newspapers/fliers, then after a period of 30/60/90 days you can claim it.

If it was known for a fact that the gun was put in the garbage for disposal, there might be a means for someone to make a rightful claim to it. However, there is also the matter that garbage set out for or in a container owned by a company - the refuse is owned by the garbage collection company.
    Hm...interesting. Any idea what the law is for PA? I'm having a hard time finding info. If something is in the trash, I'd think whoever owned it didn't want it. It would be silly to walk by a trash can, see something you want and have to post a flyer for a duration to ensure that the owner didn't want the item. I'll check, but it may have been an abandoned house and the rifle was put into the trash along with other things by the wrecking/cleaning crew.

Thanks for responding.

Al

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Hm...interesting. Any idea what the law is for PA? I'm having a hard time finding info. If something is in the trash, I'd think whoever owned it didn't want it. It would be silly to walk by a trash can, see something you want and have to post a flyer for a duration to ensure that the owner didn't want the item. I'll check, but it may have been an abandoned house and the rifle was put into the trash along with other things by the wrecking/cleaning crew.

Thanks for responding.

Al
    I'm trying to find something for ya. Just a few months ago there was another thread here on a similar subject.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

*Ahem*

May I please direct your attention here:

§ 972.1. Regarding Stuff

(a) Finders keepers, Losers weepers

(b) Five Second Rule
    Last edited by ungawa; January 7th, 2013 at 03:32 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm trying to find something for ya. Just a few months ago there was another thread here on a similar subject.
    Thanks! I'm searching too.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    *Ahem*

May I please direct your attention here:
    Hahahahaha...got me tearing from laughing so hard. Had to really contain it at work.

Al

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast