Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Semi-auto vs Revolver for 1st concealed gun

Hi everyone.

I know choosing and enjoying guns is highly subjective. I've had rifles and shotguns for years and I've shot other people's pistols. But now I'm finally thinking of buying my first pistol which will be used for concealed carry, home defense and plinking at the game lands or the range.. I don't have my CCL yet but I should have it soon, so of course I won't be carrying it until then.

I have a few guns I've had my eye on for some time. I know they aren't for everyone. Some of you will no doubt be shaking your heads at my choices and that's ok. One thing to consider here is that I won't be spending more than about $400 on my first pistol.

For some time I've been in love with the CZ82 in 9x18 Makarov. I know it's considered minimal and unusual but I love it ergonomically, and it does carry 12+1 so it's not all that bad. The little guy is also known for first-class accuracy in its category, and it's comfortable and concealable.
    Recently when I went back to the store with the intent to finally buy, I caught sight of another little carry-gun I've also been reading great things about: The Century 2000 Bulldog in 44Special. The guy in the gun shop tried to steer me away from the CZ82 and really spoke highly of that Bulldog. I also fell in love with ergonomics. I was indeed impressed by his opinion of it, as well as the bloggings of others. The CZ82 is $299 there and the Bulldog is brand new OOTB at $399, and they will even reload my brass! Keep in mind that in the future I'll be purchasing other guns, maybe a 40S&W at some point, a 45Auto or a S&W 357. Maybe even something in 357 Sig. For now I just want a simple reliable and potent little carry gun. (By the way, if they had an SP101 there in 357 or even 327 I'd be looking at that too).

I'd like to here some people talk about my choices. I'm also interested in the Bersa Thunder series, and some Rugers. But I can save these ideas for another thread sometime in the future and I 'd like to stick to the guns I mentioned first.

Thanks in advance from Pittsburgh!

Default Re: Semi-auto vs Revolver for 1st concealed gun

Ive been carrying my revolver more and more...although I do carry my M&Pc a pretty good bit..depends on how much I have to worry about personally. Hard to go wrong with a J frame or a Ruger snub nose in 357/38 imho

(Berks County)

Out of the two you list I would go with the .44 spcl over the 9mm mak . Load it with 200 gr Cor Bon DPX and you can handle any BG. The ony thing is the .44 ammo even for practice is expensive. I have and carry at times a 4" .44 Taurus tracker , it s a tack driver and IMHO the.44 spcl is the most under appreciated man stopper out there.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Philadelphia County)

You also have to consider ammo costs when purchasing your first gun. 44's and 357's are a little pricey. Mak is probably not so hard to find as milsurp, but you have to factor in ammo cost as part of your first purchase.

200 rounds to break in before carry, another 300 or so to get used to the action of the gun and it's ergonomics.

IMO, the Ruger SR9c is the best bang for your buck. They're cheap (I got mine new for 420 OTD) and you can probably find them for less used and even new. It's compatible with the full size SR9 mags (17+1). And it's really slim and light, perfect for carry. If you're devoted to picking up a larger caliber than 9mm, they also make it in 40SW.
    “Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.” - George Orwell, 1984

(Montgomery County)

I personally could not resolve the whole "one in the chamber is safe/unsafe" argument in my head, so I went with a revolver. To alleviate any concerns with a hammer getting caught on clothing, I wanted a shrouded hammer. I ended up with the S&W 638-3. It's a great carry gun, lightweight and comfortable on my belt.

I actually carry a Taurus Judge in Polymer and love it .45 colt 285 grain will stop a freight train. It also handles the 410 shells if you want to go that route too.

The polymer makes it nice and light and it packs a wallop! lol

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    You also have to consider ammo costs when purchasing your first gun. 44's and 357's are a little pricey. Mak is probably not so hard to find as milsurp, but you have to factor in ammo cost as part of your first purchase.

200 rounds to break in before carry, another 300 or so to get used to the action of the gun and it's ergonomics.

IMO, the Ruger SR9c is the best bang for your buck. They're cheap (I got mine new for 420 OTD) and you can probably find them for less used and even new. It's compatible with the full size SR9 mags (17+1). And it's really slim and light, perfect for carry. If you're devoted to picking up a larger caliber than 9mm, they also make it in 40SW.
    .357's are a bit pricey in ammo, but a .357 magnum revolver can utilize .38sp and .38sp +P ammuntion which is a bit cheaper than .357.

And the .357 magnum is a hard round to beat in terms of SD.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Butler County)

Keeo it coming! I really appreciate what I'm hearing so far. I'm a little surprised I haven't heard more praise for the CZ being semi-auto. That's the opinion I'm getting more OFF the web. I don't underestimate a good wheelgun for SD either. Whatever I get I'm going to want to be able to conceal it soon, so no big-bore six-shooters for me! :-)

Somebody on here recommended a Ruger SR9, and I must say it's a cute gun...but I'm totally turned off to DA-only...which is why I had my sights on the CZ being DA/SA capable. I like the other DA Rugers I've seen with exposed hammer, though. Has anyone here messed around with a Stoeger Cougar? I hear it was actually engineered by Beretta, even in it's current incarnation. Is this true? This (at a glance) looks like a nice gun to me.

If deep concealment wasn't so important to me, and I could afford it, a Browning Hi-Power would probably be my gun of choice among semi-autos. That is...IF I could afford one.

I've seen a few snubs out there in 44Mag which of course I could load with 44Spc. Do these start to lose concealability to any serious fault?

(Venango County)

Lets see. My opinion.

I believe you are refering to the charter bulldog? Good revolver. But the mak is a great pistol as well.

Stopping power: .44 packs a wallop, but with only 5 rounds, and many that carry a revolver choose to carry on an empty cylinder. Four shots should in theory, be enough. And with the stopping power of the 44, it can be very formidable. The mak does carry more, although it is a (slightly) smaller round. However, with 12+1, it gives you more than twice the capacity.

Reliability: The CZ is very reliable. I have had the opportunity to handle and fire quite a few of them. So far, in my experience, no problems. However, if there is a failure to fire, you would need to rack the slide. Where as the bulldog, if it doesn't fire just keep pulling the trigger. Revolvers are generally viewed as superior in that sense. However, in that same instance, you would then lose one of the already limited amount of ammunition.

Price to feed: With the way the panic buying has hit, I am sure prices and supply has been affected. But normally, at least in my area the .44 is pricey. And it is not like the .357 where you can target shoot with .38 on "the cheap". But, since I have not priced the ammo. I will call it a toss up.

Carry Ability: The CZ is slightly longer, and heavier than the bulldog. But, with the width of the cylinder, carrying in the waistband might be difficult if you wear your pants a little on the snug side. I have always liked revolvers, but the semi autos do have that major benefit. The wait shouldn't be a huge concern. With a proper belt and holster, a few extra ounces won't make a huge difference either way.

Price: At 399, it seems a little steep for the bulldog. Gunbroker has one listed right now at $350. Not a huge mark up. But still, it is a concern. An extra fifty, or 100 can mean a good deal of ammo, a good holster, or even accessories. They also show a cz82 for $250. Looks like your shop is putting a $50 markup on both.

Honestly, I think either one would work fine for you. But, if I were in the same position, I would go with the CZ. I like the ergonomics, it is exceptionally accurate, less expensive to buy and shoot, and will be easier to conceal. What I would suggest, is try to find someone that has each, go out, and put some rounds through the pipe. I went through several pistols before I found my carry gun of choice. And I stick with the classic 1911 in .45. It isn't for everyone, but it works for me. And that is what really matters.

We could go over our thoughts all day. But what matters in the end is what you think.

Hope I helped out a little.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Allegheny County)

If you are in the mood for some light reviewing:

REVIEW: Charter Arms .44 special (approx 9 min) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDm4DyRT8iw

REVIEW: CZ-82 9mm makarov (approx 9 min) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_odS0HSfY

Concealability of a 44 magnum vs 357 magnum snub-nose revolver? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KQeEHUNdZk

Both choices seem overpriced IMHO. There was a .44 special Charter Arms Bulldog @ Anthony Arms in west mifflin a few months back for $225ish... almost got it myself.

...and CZ-82s can be had from JGSales for $200. http://www.jgsales.com/cz-82-czech-9...r.-p-3050.html

Add $20ish for shipping and $20 for transfer @ GunRunnersOfPA over by McKeesport http://www.gunrunnersofpa.com/
    or John @ FirearmTransfers.net out past the Ross Park mall.http://www.firearmtransfers.net/what_you_pay.html

...annnnnd you can have a CZ for $50 less. JG also gives you the option to order up to two extra magazines with your pistol for $30 apiece. Expensive, but reasonable for the CZ-82; they're hard to find.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast