Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: All of these people driving to Walmart after Walmart......

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Ammo is something that you place next to your face and cause to nearly-explosively burn with tremendous pressures, capable of shredding metal and flesh.

Doing your own home wiring is less dangerous. If you're confident that you know what you're doing, if you know which powder in what quantity to use, how to check brass for defects, how to size and trim and seat, how to handle primers without making unexpected banging sounds...then sure, you could save some money. Otherwise, you could blind yourself or a friend, or destroy your $1000 gun because you didn't want to pay 40 cents per cartridge.

Same with half-assed home wiring that burns down your house.

Over the last decade or so, the difference in cost of reloading vs factory ammo was not enough to warrant the investment in equipment and in time to learn and time to reload. It sure wasn't 2-3 times the cost to buy new factory ammo, after factoring in the initial investment in a press and a scale and assorted small tools, powder, primers, bullets, etc.

Some people bake pies, others buy them. Modern factories can sell you a pie for less than it would cost you in materials to bake one, even assuming that your time is worthless.

Finally, I know people that find lawn maintenance to be relaxing. For others, it's just a chore that has to be done. Reloading is like that, some enjoy the process, for others it's just a chore.
    what he said

Gunlawyer.....reloading is not as dangerous as you make it sound. Hornady brings this point home in their book by stating that of all the statistics on accidents, there is no separate category for reloading. If there were a lot of reloading accidents, you can be sure this would be the case.

If you take your time and learn it is no more dangerous than shooting itself.....and everyone here does that.

ETA: regarding going blind etc. There is a die called the RCBS Lockout die which literally locks the press if the powder charge is above or below a prescribed amount. With the proper setup, a catastrophic accident from reloading is nearly impossible. (this is only for progressive presses using pistol ammo however)
    Last edited by ShooterInPA1; January 5th, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    One cartridge costs many times less than a dinning room table. So I think the cost thing kind of evens out after a while.

I gave legitimate reasons why someone dosen't reload. You seem to believe that your opinion correct and every dissenting opinion is wrong.

Not every one uses 1000's or rounds of ammo every year. You do what you do and others will do what they do. I just find it condesending the way you word your posts.
    Nobody is forcing you to click on this thread. If they are, dial 911 immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Gunlawyer.....reloading is not as dangerous as you make it sound. Hornady brings this point home in their book by stating that of all the statistics on accidents, there is no separate category for reloading. If there were a lot of reloading accidents, you can be sure this would be the case.

If you take your time and learn it is no more dangerous than shooting itself.....and everyone here does that.

ETA: regarding going blind etc. There is a die called the RCBS Lockout die which literally locks the press if the powder charge is above or below a prescribed amount. With the proper setup, a catastrophic accident from reloading is nearly impossible. (this is only for progressive presses using pistol ammo however)
    I would imagine that the reason that Lockout Die was designed and sold was that it was recognized that excess powder could cause a catastrophic failure.

Like I said, if you do it right, there's little risk. That applies to driving, too, but 40,000 Americans are killed every year in driving accidents, and many times that are injured.

There's a risk, most people aren't interested enough in investing the many, many hours to master the activity, especially after accurate factory ammo got cheap enough. If you're shooting at mice at 500 yards, then sure, you might spend the time to hone your own super-accurate loads, because then it's worth the thousands of hours. Otherwise, not so much.

And reloaders are just as vulnerable to panic shortages as anyone else, as the occasional rumors about primers have shown. Remember when the govt was going to mandate 1-year primers?

The truly independent guys will be the flintlock blackpowder folks, casting their own lead bullets and mixing their own powder from trays of drying urine and other sundry chemicals.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There's a risk, most people aren't interested enough in investing the many, many hours to master the activity, especially after accurate factory ammo got cheap enough. If you're shooting at mice at 500 yards, then sure, you might spend the time to hone your own super-accurate loads, because then it's worth the thousands of hours. Otherwise, not so much.

And reloaders are just as vulnerable to panic shortages as anyone else, as the occasional rumors about primers have shown. Remember when the govt was going to mandate 1-year primers?

The truly independent guys will be the flintlock blackpowder folks, casting their own lead bullets and mixing their own powder from trays of drying urine and other sundry chemicals.
    There is a risk, however reloading is a form of MAD seen during the Cold War. If it is in one's interest for self-preservation to do it right, they will. Thousands of presses are sold each day. Yet where are the accidents?

The risk is there, but it is overblown if one pays attention to what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    Love the comment thus far about laziness, or doing "other hobbies"

Look some people work 70 plus hours a week and regularly travel for work, others have many hobbies that preoccupy other free time allotted in their schedule, others would just rather shell out the extra money to shoot and spend their valuable time elsewhere such as with the family, renovations, etc.

If you want to make this a valuable thread why not turn it into a pathway for people who may be intimitaded by reloading or pushed away due to cost and enlighten them and show them "Cheaper" ways decent setups etc

Instead of making it seem as if whoever doesnt reload is a fool, well thats just foolish on everyone else's part and obviously only have one train of thought in their head

what he said...

I have an "extensive" reloading setup, and at one time was reloading 200-300 rounds of rifle ammo a month, and another 300 of pistol ammo.

THose were the days when I was working 40 hours a week straight and was not taking my work home with me...Now I am pushing 60 hours a week and spend another 8-10 working at home which leaves no time for anything...

Also, some calibers are simply not worth reloading due to the commercial stuff being fairly inexpensive...9 mm comes to mind for this..
    Last edited by glocke12; January 5th, 2013 at 01:32 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

There were some great reloading threads a while back aimed at news. The Lee kit seems to have almost everything you need for about $200.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785...cm_vc=wishList

Reloading is high on my to-do list but I haven't had the time to set it up yet.
    I found the sticky in the reloading forum to be a good source of info
    http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...ead-first.html

(Trying to add some value to this thread)

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Nobody is forcing you to click on this thread. If they are, dial 911 immediately.
    I thought I was in a discussion with you. I am sorry if I offended you with my opinion. You posted something and I responded. Do you not understand how forums like this work?

You can always put me on ignore if you like. Maybe someday we can have a big boy discussion.

You would make a good anti, just ignore when someone is trying to make a point and use glib pokes to answer them.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Lackawanna County)

I Don't reload because I can just go to the store and buy it.

My time is more valuable than what I would save reloading. With that said, I am as cheap as they come and I rationalize every dollar I spend. For me to do something myself, it needs to pay for me to do it and or be of more value than whatelse I could spend my time doing.

Example:
    I wouldn't waste my time changing my own oil to save $15. I will just go to jiffy lube and pay $32.

I wouldn't pay somebody $35 to cut my lawn, I would spend 45 minutes and do it myself.

I wouldn't pay a plumber $150 to fix a leaking pipe in my basement, I would take 30 minutes and do it myself.

I wouldn't save $5 or $10 reloading a box of ammo, I would just pay the $22 and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by philcav7 View Post
    I Don't reload because I can just go to the store and buy it.

My time is more valuable than what I would save reloading. With that said, I am as cheap as they come and I rationalize every dollar I spend. For me to do something myself, it needs to pay for me to do it and or be of more value than whatelse I could spend my time doing.

Example:
    I wouldn't waste my time changing my own oil to save $15. I will just go to jiffy lube and pay $32.

I wouldn't pay somebody $35 to cut my lawn, I would spend 45 minutes and do it myself.

I wouldn't pay a plumber $150 to fix a leaking pipe in my basement, I would take 30 minutes and do it myself.

I wouldn't save $5 or $10 reloading a box of ammo, I would just pay the $22 and be done with it.

It is more than cost savings. If the S ever does HTF, then this will be the top skill to have. And from reading the headlines lately, the S may HTF not too long from now. The cost savings are then merely an added benefit.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast