Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Union County)

Default Re: Share Deals on Guns Ammo Accessories Here

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Now remove a couple of zeros from the price and include a box of 9mm and it might be worth getting.
    You ain't wrong.
    Something clever belongs here. Same screen name at ARFCOM.

Now remove a couple of zeros from the price and include a box of 9mm and it might be worth getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nopetrol View Post
    You ain't wrong.
    Curious if either of you have owned one, or know someone in real life who has.

Not trying to be aggressive, but it seems like most of the vitriol towards VSKAs comes from the Yeager/MAC barrel pin video, and Century's previous reputation. I've only found one photographically-documented case of an actual catastrophic failure.

(Union County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post

Not trying to be aggressive, but it seems like most of the vitriol towards VSKAs comes from the Yeager/MAC barrel pin video, and Century's previous reputation. I've only found one photographically-documented case of an actual catastrophic failure.
    One of my best friends bought one in polymer furniture about 2 years ago. The fit and finish is terrible. Some of the rivets pinch the receiver, others are high enough off the receiver that you can get a fingernail under them. In my opinion, it should have never left the factory. The site is canted pretty bad, the selector required some hand bending. Compared to any of the AK's I own, it has a lot more rattle and is a lot noisier when it's cycling. He bought it right after the scandemic and supply chain issues got their worst and paid a terrible amount of money for it. Had I been with him, I would not have let him buy it. He just wanted to be able to say he owned an AK, and it was pretty much a panic buy.

*Edit for additional thoughts- I know, I know. They are peasant guns. They are the tool of a rebel, meant for third world countries. I get that, if that was the case but ...It's 2022, I expect a little bit of quality. They are not being built by conscripted unskilled labor in an old sewing machine factory being rushed out to the front line soldiers that desperately need any weapon they can get. We ain't there right now.
    Something clever belongs here. Same screen name at ARFCOM.

(Clearfield County)

Refer to the AK operators union series of videos on them.

I also don't get this "you can't use their history to judge what they're currently making" idea. Nobody gets called out for thinking the new McDonald's burger is going to be just as shit as all their other food, yet somehow century is supposed to be continually given the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nopetrol View Post
    One of my best friends bought one in polymer furniture about 2 years ago. The fit and finish is terrible.
    Fair enough. Although I would point out a lot of the "higher-end" manufacturers like Zastava and Arsenal are having similar or more serious problems at this point.

Refer to the AK operators union series of videos on them.

I also don't get this "you can't use their history to judge what they're currently making" idea. Nobody gets called out for thinking the new McDonald's burger is going to be just as shit as all their other food, yet somehow century is supposed to be continually given the benefit of the doubt.
    Didn't Rob Ski get it to 5000 rounds? If I remember right, the buttstock was crap and loosened up, and the front sling mount broke. He abuses the guns, so I'm not that put off.

I'm not saying you can't use their history against them. I would never pay anything close to MSRP on a Century-made AK gun. But I think $500 is a steal for an AK (given the absurd prices these days...$800 for a WASR LOL), even with a slightly questionable track record from a company with an even more questionable track record. Freaking parts kits without barrels are going for $500 these days...

(Clearfield County)

Fair enough. Although I would point out a lot of the "higher-end" manufacturers like Zastava and Arsenal are having similar or more serious problems at this point.

Didn't Rob Ski get it to 5000 rounds? If I remember right, the buttstock was crap and loosened up, and the front sling mount broke. He abuses the guns, so I'm not that put off.

I'm not saying you can't use their history against them. I would never pay anything close to MSRP on a Century-made AK gun. But I think $500 is a steal for an AK (given the absurd prices these days...$800 for a WASR LOL), even with a slightly questionable track record from a company with an even more questionable track record. Freaking parts kits without barrels are going for $500 these days...
    I'm fairly certain the VSKA failed the headspace gauge at 5000 rounds.

I'm fairly certain the VSKA failed the headspace gauge at 5000 rounds.
    Pretty sure you're thinking of the RAS-47, the VSKA's soft bolted and soft trunnioned predecessor That one was a real turd, or so is widely reported

Headspace test is at 10:40

Edit: In the interest of full disclosure because I don't want people to think that I'm talking out my butt or just going off what Rob Ski said. I have one, got it at a LGS from a GunJoker listing, $580 out the door (like I said, I wouldn't pay MSRP on a Century build). I like it a lot, shoulders very easily and is a tack driver by AK standards. Nopetrol is right at least about the noise when cycling, I think it's the spring itself or the "lightening" cut on the bolt carrier. He's also right that the fit and finish is a little sloppy. I would hop on this deal in a second though, if it were at a LGS. I just hate the hassles of ordering/transferring online.

Last edited by ShadeRabbit; October 27th, 2022 at 07:38 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Use Coupon Code: HALW
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

https://geissele.com/blems.html

Geissele Blemish sale

Page 2347 of 2598 FirstFirst ... 13471847224722972337234323442345234623472348234923502351235723972447 ... LastLast