Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Selling on Gunbroker

I've decided to sell my (Wicen's incident) 91/30 on Gunbroker.com and I have a question or 2.

How do I go about shipping the rifle to the winning bidder? I know it needs to be sent to an FFL of their choice if they aren't PA residents or C&R holders but, do I take it to a local FFL and have them transfer/ship it to the winner or do I go to the FFL for the transfer and then ship it on my own?

Thanks in advance

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Selling on Gunbroker

The buyer should notify you as to whom (an FFL dealer) the rifle should be sent. Either the buyer or his dealer of choice should then mail or fax you a copy of the dealers FFL license. You can check that the FFL license is valid via the BATFE website.

Once you confirm the license is valid, ship the rifle to the FFL dealer via the carrier of your choice (e.g. fedex or UPS).

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks, I figured that's all there was to it but wanted to be sure.

If anyone is interested here's a link to the auction http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=95363161

(Luzerne County)

In state you can ship to the buyer direct if your comfortable doing so.

Out of state you must ship to an FFL holder.

If it is going to a C&R they must send you a signed copy of their FFL.
    If it is going to any other FFL they are NOT obligated to send you a paper copy (the ATF advises against "dealers" sending their FFL's to non-licensees)
    If they give you the first 3 and last 5 of their FFL you can look it up on ATF Ez-check site (The fed law says you must ship to an FFL. )
    or call ATF (1-877-560-2435) to confirm it is valid and address on the FFL is the same as the one they send you.

I make this point because way too many people think that FFL's must send you a FFL copy and this is not the case.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    In state you can ship to the buyer direct if your comfortable doing so.

<SNIP>
    Can you please explain this?

Do I understand this to mean that a private-party in Pittsburgh can mail a gun to a private-party in say, Upper Darby or vice-versa?

If so, sure would have bought a few more guns from folks on this board, but with the price of gas...

I recall that back in the pre-Klinton days, an FFL could execute a "non-OTC" sale using a special 4473-like form, but now that EVERYTHING that goes bang has to get NICSd, dealers can't do those anymore.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Can you please explain this?

Do I understand this to mean that a private-party in Pittsburgh can mail a gun to a private-party in say, Upper Darby or vice-versa?

If so, sure would have bought a few more guns from folks on this board, but with the price of gas...

I recall that back in the pre-Klinton days, an FFL could execute a "non-OTC" sale using a special 4473-like form, but now that EVERYTHING that goes bang has to get NICSd, dealers can't do those anymore.
    Intra-state sales of title-1 long guns do not have to go through an FFL per state and fed law.
    Handguns do have to go through an FFL.

The law is silent on the mode of delivery of long guns sold/traded intra-state therefor the mailing of long guns direct is not specifically prohibited, IE: legal.

(Pike County)

Intra-state sales of title-1 long guns do not have to go through an FFL per state and fed law.
    Handguns do have to go through an FFL.

The law is silent on the mode of delivery of long guns sold/traded intra-state therefor the mailing of long guns direct is not specifically prohibited, IE: legal.
    From the ATF site:
    (B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

--Rob W.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    From the ATF site:
    (B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

--Rob W.
    Right... Thanks for the quote supporting what I wrote

(hopefully that was your intention )

(Pike County)

Right... Thanks for the quote supporting what I wrote

(hopefully that was your intention )
    Yup, citation cleared up whether or not the USPS is legal by fed law. Didn't mean to "me-too" your post ;->

--Rob

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Yup, citation cleared up whether or not the USPS is legal by fed law. Didn't mean to "me-too" your post ;->

--Rob
    Ah - ok.

Actually, when I read your reply, I wasn't sure if you were agreeing and posting a cite
    or
    Maybe you misinterpreted intra with inter and was posting the cite in disagreement.

Oh, and no problem with any "me-too's"