Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Am I getting hosed?

I took my car in for an inspection today, and got a call a couple hours later saying that my rear bushings are shot and need replacement to pass inspection. His estimate was $1000 dollars for everything. I know very little about cars, so I'm just wondering...am I getting ripped off? This seemed awfully pricey to me. I guess I won't be getting my AR anytime soon...

Sorry for posting this here, but I have found nothing when trying to research this, and thought there might be someone on here that would know. Its definately off topic...

(Chester County)

Default Re: Am I getting hosed?

Question... What kind of vehicle do you drive?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoootie View Post
    I took my car in for an inspection today, and got a call a couple hours later saying that my rear bushings are shot and need replacement to pass inspection. His estimate was $1000 dollars for everything. I know very little about cars, so I'm just wondering...am I getting ripped off? This seemed awfully pricey to me. I guess I won't be getting my AR anytime soon...

Sorry for posting this here, but I have found nothing when trying to research this, and thought there might be someone on here that would know. Its definately off topic...
    take your car to any mechanic shop and you're getting hosed, lol. that does sound pretty high. i would get a second opinion. i've never charged anyone even close to that amount for that type of thing, but i only do it as side work, so...........
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Question... What kind of vehicle do you drive?
    2001 Dodge Neon. I honestly should have probably told him I would take it home uninspected and start looking for a new car. Instead I agreed to it, called back 10 minutes later to tell him to forget it, and he told me they were already partway through the job. I'm 23 and know little about cars, so I'm sure they saw an easy target. Oh well, live and learn I guess. If the try to charge me more when I go pick it up tommorrow I will flip though.

(Lawrence County)

Sounds like a serious hosing.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lehigh County)

get a specific part name, check around, and raise hell if you are getting screwed.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Pike County)

I myself am realatively new to Pa, but a question, why would rear bushings be part of the inspection? The shop I use does not check things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    I myself am realatively new to Pa, but a question, why would rear bushings be part of the inspection? The shop I use does not check things like this.
    I really don't know. Is there anywhere I can go to look up required stuff for PA state inspections?

(Philadelphia County)

What KIND of bushings ?? A bushing is only a piece of plastic or rubber between 2 pieces of metal. Why would they even be checked ? And what kind of bushings cost 1,000 dollars ??? I am not a mechanic anymore ( I was 20 years ago), but I don't ever remember failing a car because of bushings !

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Monroe County)

GET A SECOND OPINION!

The economy sucks and people are cutting back and one of the biggest businesses seeing it is auto repair shops.

My wife just took her 2005 Durango in for inspection and they said it needed new ball joints. I told her BS, I'll check them myself. Sure enough not a dam thing wrong with them. So I told her to take it elsewhere. She did, the mechanic comes out and says "well you only have one problem that needs to be fixed" Ofcourse my wife figured BALL JOINTS! She says OK HOW MUCH? He says $1.00 one of the bulbs in the third brake light is burned out.

Get another opinion. The bushing scam that is used alot is the strut top bushings. I bet he is playing it on you.

JMHO,
    Rich W.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast