Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: List of Shops Around Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawn 4Life View Post
    Couldn't agree more about Big Buck's. They are in a convenient location near the range when coming from Pittsburgh but their attitude really annoys me. If I go into a shop ready to spend money and get treated like I'm more of an annoyance than a customer I'll do what I can to avoid returning. Just about zero help or info when I asked questions either.

2 just because of location.
    See every time I go in there I'm usually helped immediately. Granted it is usually always by one of the older gentlemen that work there.

The attitude is definitely there but one of the older guys (name escapes me) has always been more than helpful when it comes to ammo, firearms or shooting. Won't say great shop (mainly because of prices) but 3 stars is just middle of the road.

(Allegheny County)

I will have to agree with the last two posts. I have gone to Big Bucks several times to purchase some items (some rather expensive), and I was treated nicely by an older gentleman. However, I was very disappointed when I went in there several weeks ago to have a firearm shipped to their store that I had purchased elsewhere. They refused do it since I could have purchased the item at their store. I was very willing to pay a fee for the service. I really don't intend on going back there if they can't respect whatever business comes their way. I would give Big Bucks a thumbs down. If they had accommodated me, I would have definitely gone back in the future. As to the Shooter's Bench, I agree that the owner is very nice and I have enjoyed my experiences there. I would definitely go back. I give The Shooter's Bench thumbs up.

(Allegheny County)

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in case the master list was still being updated.

You can take Firearms Unlimited off the list - they are definitely closed.

Guzyk's Gun Shoppe in Ambridge would get a 1 from me. Was there in August picking up my 15-22. He was very standoffish the entire time and seemed extremely pissed that my girlfriend decided to come into the store with me. He didn't even aknowledge me when I inquired about another rifle hanging on the wall - he just walked away after the sale was complete. I will never go there again.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in case the master list was still being updated.

You can take Firearms Unlimited off the list - they are definitely closed.
    ha ha ... forgot about that place. It's been closed for a while. I remember when the owner hit the news. Too bad, it wasn't a bad place.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Indiana County)

new member here! Just wanted to say thanks for this thread and those who reviewed...I will be checking out a few shops tomorrow and will report back with my experiences!

(Allegheny County)

Steel Valley Arms on Main Street in Munhall is going out of business, and their final day will be this Friday, Oct. 29th.

(Butler County)

Just bought a glock 19 and m&p 15-22 at sportsman's supply. Great prices and a real nice shop. Good people and friendly.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by royalflush88 View Post
    Steel Valley Arms on Main Street in Munhall is going out of business, and their final day will be this Friday, Oct. 29th.
    I think I'll be down that way on Friday...have to check 'em out! (ohhh, plus it's payday!)

(Indiana County)

Ok here we go! Thanks to this thread I visited a few shops I most likely would never have. My buddy and I both decided today we were going to pick up something, and we had a short list of potentials. After shopping all day I ended up with a stoeger cougar and he got a Ruger SR9-C. I was torn between the two myself I really like the rugers modern styling, but the cougar just felt good, no other way to describe it. Part the of decision on where we bought depended on the trade my buddy had, and the shop we bought at was the only interested.

stop 1:

Sportmans supply:

It was a gun store, rough and kind of cluttered with boxes of ammo everywhere, the selection was decent, but some of the guns seemed dusty and there was no real organization to the handguns that we saw. We were addressed promptly and kind of gruffly in our opinion, but they said if we needed anything just ask. Soon after there was a congregation blocking the used gun case, just hanging out, and it honestly gave us a strange feeling. We looked around, I saw a few cougars but not the one I was looking for. This is where we noticed the sleek ruger and my buddy fell in love. essentially, I knew that look in his eye haha. He asked about his trade and then he said he was done and we left. Overall feel, was decent, prices compared to other shops were average, but the cougar prices seemed a little steep for the 3 they had, I think it was 450( i saw so many prices haha) for the new two tone 9mm one and 400 for the other two used ones, both .40, I wanted 9mm.

3.5/5 overall.

stop 2:

the Shooters Bench

We had a great time here, the prices were the best of all the shops, and both employees and one older gentleman there were giving us their opinions on guns and we shared experiences. Service and friendliness were top notch! The shop was small, but the selection was decent with 2 cases and the guns were all clean and organized well. We handled the the ruger sr9c a S&W and another. My friend all but decided on the ruger, but they were not interested in his rifle on trade, so we moved on.

Still the experience was a 5/5.

Stop 3:

Bravermans

We spend the least amount of time here, just too many people stuffed in there, it was quite small, not a bad shop tho, we were greeted upon entry but that was it really. Looked around, ok selection and prices were comparable, but we moved on.

3.5/5 overall.

Last Stop:

Ace Sporting goods

Ace was the place, they were the highest priced, but they got the business, the shop was fantastic. This is the only shop I have been in that was comparable to Grices(sp? also haven't been there in years mind you) It was the largest store, well staffed but busy, and had a big, big selection. Prices were not crazy high, but I paid 20 bucks more than the lowest I found else where(including online) but the experience made it worth it. I am ashamed that I forgot the guy's name who sold the gun to me but he was really friendly and gave me honest input. Essentially he talked me out hte other higher priced gun and to go with the one that fit me best, which was just good common sense, but I have a thing with how a gun looks. The guy that waited on my friend was also great, a little off the wall, but direct, he simply asked what he wanted for his rifle on trade, and he went and talked to the owner or manager, not sure, and came back with a generous offer. Did they get a good deal on the trade, by far, but my buddy got what he wanted for it and that worked for him. The guys were fun, joking with each other laughing and we has some good conversation. Only hiccup is that the guy went back to approve the trade and my buddy asked another employee to see a gun and that was fine, but then he found out that the other guy was handling a trade and he asked why he was showing my friend guns...it was a little weird but nothing came of it.
    I also liked the in-house 1 year warranty, that way I do not have to mess with the manufacturer, I like that a lot, not sure of other shops had that, if they did they failed to mention it as a selling point.
    Ovrall the prices were a tad higher, but I myself work in the service indusrty, and we are the higher priced provider, but I believe we still offer the best value, as did Ace.

5/5 for us!

We would not hesitate to go back there or the Shooters bench, great shops!.

(Allegheny County)

Latrobe Army Navy is overpriced IMO. They wanted $575 for new Glock 17 a few years back.

Lock Stock H Barrel on Rt 119 is basically in the basement of a guy's house. He is friendly however. Not much of a selection, but there might be some deals in there.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast