Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Discharge - Almost shot myself.

Well, not really sure how close I came to shooting myself but it was a pretty serious situation. My new Glock 19 on nightable and an afternoon nap.

1. If a Glock goes off in the woods and there's nobody there to hold it does it make a sound?

Yes.

2. Will it cycle?

No. Casing still in the chamber.

3. Will the neighbors call the cops?

No. It's barely louder than a .22.

As soon as I got this thing home I was concerned by the lack of a manual safety because I knew it would be a problem for ME. I personally have to keep a firearm chambered if I want to be able to use it for self defense. It has a little safety lever on the trigger and a terrible, long and sloppy trigger pull due to an internal "safety" that prevents the firing pin from being fully cocked until you pull (not squeeze) the trigger. None of which will prevent ME from setting it off with a little pawing on it. I was trying to push the button on my alarm clock and don't remember tugging or squeezing on anything. There was nothing between me and the Glock that could have braced it in place for me to apply the required pressure to the trigger with an accidental brush of the finger. It was merely sitting on the nightable and I should have been able to drag it off the edge by the trigger without it firing. The only way I know I set it off is that is obviously the only explanation.

Couldn't find a hole in any walls, etc., where hole should have been. Just jacket and lead everywhere. So, I went into the bathroom to check myself for holes and then got a cup of coffee.

BTW, very unimpressed with the damage done by this round. I've read all the studies on the internet, seen the jello shots, etc., but this thing is nothing more than a dangerous toy based on what I just saw. It'll be traded in on a .45.
    Last edited by ungawa; March 21st, 2008 at 04:10 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Discharge - Almost shot myself.

Preferably something with a "manual safety"... Right?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Philadelphia County)

Holy Crap dude !!! Goddamned lucky you ain't dead !! Glad to hear you're o.k., other than being shaken up.

On a lighter note, were you taking a nap cause you were up all night trying to balance eggs for the equinox ?? j/k........glad you o.k., man .

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Northampton County)

As a priority. Would also like a grip safety.

A holster works as well also, if you like the Glocks. Slows you down a little bit which, as you now know, isn't always a bad thing.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Lehigh County)

Huh?! You accidentally brushed the trigger with your finger and the gun fired? If that's truly the case, and you have a pure-stock setup, it would seem like you have a defective weapon. Get it checked out ASAP.

Going forward, keep it in a holster, and keep you finger OFF the trigger until you are sure you want to fire the weapon.

Glad you are o.k. though.

Rob

(Westmoreland County)

Glad you OK! Maybe a 1911 would be up your alley...

(Franklin County)

If the Glock. or anything else for that matter, is unsafe for you because of the lack of a manual safety, then you need to immerse yourself in the fundamentals of firearms safety before you carry anything.

In reading your story, it sounds like you were taking a nap, Glock on the nightstand, alarm went off and you pulled the trigger instead of shutting the alarm off. Don't blame the gun; your booger picker was where it shouldn't have been.

You don't 'paw' a loaded gun, or an unloaded one for that matter. When you're hands or fingers are on the gun, it's pointed in a safe direction. If you don't trust yourself around it when you're waking up, keep it chamber empty, or keep it in a drawer where you have to wake up enough to get to it. Just make sure you're : 1. alert enough by the time you've gotten you're hands on it and 2. know the fundamentals of handling once your hands are on it.

If you were dragging it by the trigger and it went off, THAT'S WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO!!

Keep looking; you've got a bullet hole, and the resulting damage, somewhere.

Glad you are OK. I have suffered the negligent discharge myself. I learned from it and thank god no one was hurt. No body to blame but me though.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Yeah, I don't know how you managed to do that. But you got balls for posting it. Anyway I think the reason it didn't eject the round is it wasn't in your hand and it probably just spun on the table. Didn't have enough resistance to cycle the next round.

If you like the glock size and shape get a springfeild XD. They have grip safeties.

I really don't know you you got it to fire without forcefully squeezing the trigger, but....

GOOD THING IT WASN'T POINTED AT YOUR HEAD!

North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

There has to be a bullet hole somewhere. Unless you had a shotshell in the chamber, of course.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast