Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Carbon County)

Default cabelas 79.99 vs walmart 29.99

I bought a CP tactical red dot at walmart yesterday. I scanned it with my phone and same upc popped up at cabelas for $50 more. I looked it up online and sure enough same model and upc. Wow!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: cabelas 79.99 vs walmart 29.99

Doesnt shock me at all but 50 dollars is a steep markup

Why anyone shops at Cabellas is beyond me. Especially for ammo. The only way I would even step foot into the establishment is if I had a gift card that I couldn't sell to some sucker for cash value.

Id rather deal with a few of the Wal Mart crazies and save a buck than go all the way to Cabellas for their markups

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    Doesnt shock me at all but 50 dollars is a steep markup
    Well they have to mark it up so high because of the huge lack of sales in firearms lately.

Oh wait...
    Last edited by Shisno; December 31st, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Jefferson County)

You have to remember that places like Cabela's, Dicks, Dunhams, Bass ProShop, and Gander Mountain are marketing to the upper-middle class and upper class "sportsmen" who live in half million dollar or higher houses in suburbia. ...the ritzy sportsmen who drive to the hunting fields in their Range Rovers or pristine brandnew trucks, and have a barely legal trophy wife that has had more plastic surgery bills than you will make in 10 years time.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

I will gladly pay a premium so I do not have to deal with the Walmart cretins. I also have a Cabela's Black card and get 5% back. And this is in addition to any sales and any Cabela' deal cards I may have received in the mail. People who claim Cabela's is expensive simply do not know how to shop.

I have traveled to 3rd world countries......Walmart has "people" for lack of a better word, who make the characters of the Star Wars bar look downright sexy and intelligent.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You have to remember that places like Cabela's, Dicks, Dunhams, Bass ProShop, and Gander Mountain are marketing to the upper-middle class and upper class "sportsmen" who live in half million dollar or higher houses in suburbia. ...the ritzy sportsmen who drive to the hunting fields in their Range Rovers or pristine brandnew trucks, and have a barely legal trophy wife that has had more plastic surgery bills than you will make in 10 years time.
    That's just crazy talk. I am sure you are right about the upper class going to Cabelas, but they do offer reasonable prices on many things. You just have to know what your buying and if their price is in line. You can't maintain an extensive inventory like they have without some of the products being marked up. I could do without the money spent on the taxidermy displays, that may lower the overhead, but hey whatever, that is their decision to make. It's our decision to overpay if we are not informed.

YB
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Mercer County)

I have found some good deals at Cabelas, even on ammo! You just have to look for the deals and find coupons. I'm not saying that everything is cheap but if you pick and choose, you can find deals. The one thing I really like about them is usually, there stuff is pretty good. They seldom carry junk like some other sites.
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Wait a minute... I like Cabelas and I did get a $50 gift card for Christmas. By the time I finish paying for my basement remodeling and patio I will FEEL like I live in the 500K home but I missed the line that said "pick up the tropy wife and Land Rover here." Son of a bitch.

If you want to understand how WalMart can sell so cheap do some research on their marketing program. They train their buyers/negotiators to bid so low the manufacturer often times does not profit. What they do get is the mass advertiusing that results from placement on WalMart shelves. The majority of the US population shops a WallyWorld so if you get on the shelf people see your product and word gets out.

On the other end of this, Cabelas offers me the convenience of having everything. WalMart has crap for selection unless you are looking for the most common items (9mm, 12 gauge, .308, etc...). I shop at Cabelas because I know I can find .32 Win Special, 32-20, reloading supplies, etc.

I see frequent comments on Cabelas high prices so I have no doubty there is truth in this. However, for the items I shop there for (powder, primers, odd calibers) they have the best prices and oftentimes are the only option outside of online sales.

I'm still pissed I missed the trophy wife and 60K car handout but I can't explain the $50 difference that started this thread.