Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default non nfa short barreled "shotgun"

Would it be legal (starting a sentence with that phrase always sets off red flags in my mind) to put a 14" barrel on a pgo shotgun and not be an sbs or aow, as long as the oal is >26"?

I already own a mossberg roadblocker (it was just soooo tacticool :bangshead and had been thinking about just adding a stock and security barrel when I came across http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88.

My two concerns are 1) is it just a bad idea legality wise, and 2) am i just out of the fire and into the frying pan in regards to a useless impractical shotgun

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: non nfa short barreled "shotgun"

Only if you register the PGO shotgun as an Any Other Weapon or SBS first. $200 tax stamp to manufacture.

Putting a <18" barrel on a pistol grip only shotgun make it into a smoothbore pistol. ...which is an NFA device(AOW).

If the shotgun has ever had a shoulder stock attached, it can NEVER become a AOW. The only AOW's that that can have shoulder stocks are certain combination guns(guns with a rifled barrel and a smoothbore under a certain size).

Now, if it has that certain grip as shown on that website, it pushes the AOL to 26" or beyond. But the legal definition of "capable of being concealed" or any variation of that is still open to interpretation. The current ATF viewpoint on that exact configuration is that it isn't an NFA device, but as we all know - opinions can change(cough-Atkins-cough).

Then enter PA's laws. PA's law doesn't have that "capable of being concealed" clause. So, under Title 18, Chapter 9, Subsection 908 - it would be prohibited because of the barrel length as a "prohibited offensive weapon". Pretty much the only way to legally own something in that configuration is to possess it legally via the NFA as mentioned in 18 Pa.C.S. § 908(b)(1).
    Last edited by knight0334; December 30th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Blair County)

Default Re: non nfa short barreled "shotgun"

if you want a sbs with out the nfa hassle go black powder .
    the if you make a aow or sbs there is a making tax of 200. to transfer a aow there is a 5 $ tax . so if making one go with the sbs .