Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hi Point .45 review

My wife wanted to get me a gun for Christmas. Up until now my handguns had all been in 9mm. I decided I wanted a .45, but did not want to spend a lot of money. It's mainly for target practice as opposed to an edc. I decided to get a .45 Highpoint. I got it from Buds Guns for $165's. Got out today to shoot it.

I know a lot of people criticize Hi Points, but I like it. I don't mind the looks and it shoots well which is the important thing to me. I only used it on the 15 yard range today. I put about 150 rounds through it.

The good: It was very accurate at 15 yards. After I figure out the sites i was getting grouping within 6-8 inches of each other. Very little recoil and easy to bring back on line. Performance wise I had no gripes with it. Went back to the 15 yard range at the end of the day to run more rounds through it. My first shot was dead center of the bullseye so I quit after one shot to end the day on a positive note. the gun was very accurate for me and I like the way the sites were set up.

The bad: Magazine only holds 9+1. Considering the size of the gun it could hold more easily if double stacked. I read on line that they do this so that it is legal in states with magazine limits. If Feinstein gets her way, that could wind up being a good thing.

My buddy who was with me commented that the grip was very smooth and brought up what if you are in a bad situation and have sweaty palms, you might have a hard time properly holding the gun. I do not think this is a problem, but his opinion is worth noting.

Cleaning, I haven't cleaned it yet, but was checking out some videos on line. Seems like a major project with a lot of parts. I am use to guns with a couple of parts that are quick and easy to disassemble and clean. I will be cleaning it tomorrow and am not looking forward to it.

Over all I like the gun and am glad I got it. If I was looking for an everyday carry I would have gone with something different, but for my limited purpose it is perfect. The price is right, it was accurate and fun to shoot.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Hi Point .45 review

Only hi point I own is a 9mm rifle - but I hear the same thing from everyone that owns the pistols - big, ugly, heavy, but goes bang every time !!! Congrats and enjoy!

(York County)

If its not for edc...then the only important facts have been covered. Its reasonably accurate and goes bang when needed. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    If its not for edc...then the only important facts have been covered. Its reasonably accurate and goes bang when needed. 'Nuff said.
    Exactly! .....

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Cleaning, I haven't cleaned it yet, but was checking out some videos on line. Seems like a major project with a lot of parts. I am use to guns with a couple of parts that are quick and easy to disassemble and clean. I will be cleaning it tomorrow and am not looking forward to it.
    I have two Hi-Points, the C9 (my carry gun) and the 995TSRD, both 9mm. I like 'em! Yes, they're ugly, clunky and don't hold a gazillion rounds, but they work. Drop them in the mud, they work. Look at them the wrong way, they work. Plus, they're inexpensive (note, I did not say "cheap").

Enough babble already. Cleaning? Run a rag down the bore, maybe blow out everything with compressed air and oil what you can. That's it. Taking one apart is not for the weak-hearted. Read your User's Manual - it does not recommend disassembly! After two or three thousand rounds, you can send it back to the factory and they'll give it a total going over, for free.

But, you can take it apart if you want. Just don't say you weren't warned.

If you ever do have to send a gun back to the factory for warranty work or anything else, do you need to use an FFL to ship it. Does the factory have to ship it to a FFL, or can they ship it directly to you?

The bad: Magazine only holds 9+1.
    I wouldn't let that bother you. The 1911 carriers got 1 or 2 less than that, and there is a banana-boat load of people that tote a 1911. Once I got good at swapping 1911's mags, I stopped worrying about capacity. Get a few extra mags and practice dropping and reinserting a mag. You can do it in an eyeblink with some practice. I can't remember what the bottom of the magwell looks like on one, but if there is room, you can bevel it some to make changing even more faster, and it shouldn't void the warranty.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Cumberland County)

If you ever do have to send a gun back to the factory for warranty work or anything else, do you need to use an FFL to ship it. Does the factory have to ship it to a FFL, or can they ship it directly to you?
    Double check with experts, but whenever I've send a firearm back for warrantly work, I've sent it and received it myself - using UPS/Fedex and declaring it as a firearm. Again, check with the experts though!

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I wouldn't let that bother you. The 1911 carriers got 1 or 2 less than that, and there is a banana-boat load of people that tote a 1911. Once I got good at swapping 1911's mags, I stopped worrying about capacity. Get a few extra mags and practice dropping and reinserting a mag. You can do it in an eyeblink with some practice. I can't remember what the bottom of the magwell looks like on one, but if there is room, you can bevel it some to make changing even more faster, and it shouldn't void the warranty.
    Honestly does not really bother me, just a point that I thought some people might find useful. I like the idea of practicing the the drop and inserting another. Not something I've ever practiced with any of my guns. I will be ordering another mag or two.