Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Possible move to Berks County

I am considering a job offer near Reading, the biggest problem is I will have to move to Berks county and I know nothing really about the area. I would just like some honest opinions of the county. Like schools and where to look for a house. Thank you
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Chester County)

Default Re: Possible move to Berks County

Habla Espanol?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    I am considering a job offer near Reading, the biggest problem is I will have to move to Berks county and I know nothing really about the area. I would just like some honest opinions of the county. Like schools and where to look for a house. Thank you
    I live in Reading, and though its getting better in many areas, its still got a way to go, so you may want to skip Reading and go for the suburbs. Same goes for schools, Readings schools aren't as good as they used to be, larger classes than a single teacher can realistically accommodate means students don't get the individual attention they may need and either fall behind and repeat the class, or get pushed through just to get them out of the class without actually learning anything.

My cousin and her husband just moved to laureldale with their 3 kids (and her mother who lives with them). They love the area, nice and quiet, close to everything. Walmart, Kmart, couple grocery stores, video store, auto parts all just a few blocks away but well out of sight so it feels like they're further away than they actually are. They paid 140k for the house which has a large detached garage sitting on 3/4 acre.

(Berks County)

Its coming up on a year that I moved to Laureldale and so far the area has been great. As mjfletcher mentioned, It is conveniently close to the city and stores but far enough away to be quiet.

I work in a bad part of Reading, but haven't had any issues traveling to and from work, same goes for my wife. I can't vouch for the schools as I dont have kids and I attended Daniel Boone in Birdsboro (Which also isn't far from Reading but is filled with high school aged kids)

I would also recommend sticking to the Suburbs that would keep your commute fairly short such as Douglassville, Birdsboro, Exeter, Muhlenburg, Temple, Laureldale, Berkshire, Wyomissing, ect...

Depending on where you Job is located in the city, you may have upwards of a 20 minute drive in the morning but you may be much happier actually outside of the city of Reading.

Quote Originally Posted by wwhite72082 View Post
    Its coming up on a year that I moved to Laureldale and so far the area has been great. As mjfletcher mentioned, It is conveniently close to the city and stores but far enough away to be quiet.

I work in a bad part of Reading, but haven't had any issues traveling to and from work, same goes for my wife. I can't vouch for the schools as I dont have kids and I attended Daniel Boone in Birdsboro (Which also isn't far from Reading but is filled with high school aged kids)

I would also recommend sticking to the Suburbs that would keep your commute fairly short such as Douglassville, Birdsboro, Exeter, Muhlenburg, Temple, Laureldale, Berkshire, Wyomissing, ect...

Depending on where you Job is located in the city, you may have upwards of a 20 minute drive in the morning but you may be much happier actually outside of the city of Reading.
    I'd KILL for a 20 minute drive to work. On a very good morning, it's 30 minutes. Most mornings, it's 45. I've spent as long as 2 hours when some bonehead wipes out on 422.

I live 11.5 miles from work.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Berks County)

The job is off route 183 so I wold be in the north side. Thanks for the suggestions.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Berks County)

I worked off of 183, and I live in Sinking Spring near the Spring Township building. It would be about a 10-20 minute drive to the Reading Airport from my house. It's a decent school district here (Wilson) and we got just about every type of shopping and dining you can think of in a 15 minute drive.

Now is also a good time to get a house around here. Prices are down a bit and there are some good deals to find depending on your budget. But avoid living in the city of Reading.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    The job is off route 183 so I wold be in the north side. Thanks for the suggestions.
    That job wouldn't happen to be behind the airport would it? Along Arnold Rd?

(York County)

some of my wife's family (her mother's side) was originally from the kutztown area...about 15-16 miles northeast from reading...nice area outside of the town from what i've seen over the years...
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

(Berks County)

Only problems I've ever heard about in K-Town are from the college students. But what do you really expect in a town that pretty much exists only because there's a college there? A former supervisor moved to Blandon, bout halfway between Reading and Kutztown and he liked the area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast