Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default I need advice. new vs used

ok so I am looking used vs new on a 12ga home defense shotgun (pump..but im open to semi) that i can take to the range occasionally (not for skeet or trap..i have a 16ga for that). i don't have time to drive long distances so i have only looked in the area.
    I want tactical style and pistol grip. I have a very small house so short length is a must.

I have seen used
    Mossberg for $160 at Nesbits,
    Stoeger 3500 for $250 at Dukes
    Mossberg watchdog with light and laser for $379 at Neville island

New, i have looked at
    Remington 887 nitro $560 at Nesbits (more than the $500 that i can spend)
    Weatherby PA- 459 $419 at John Browns Armory.

I would like any insight anyone can offer.
    i do want to ad a light and laser along with side saddles down the road too.
    Last edited by twoifbysea; December 29th, 2012 at 12:06 PM.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: I need advice. new vs used

There is nothing wrong with buying a used shotgun. You're not guaranteed any less reliability just because someone owned it before you, sometimes guns come from the factory BRAND NEW with major flaws too. I like used pumps because they're typically already broken in and smoother than if you buy them new. I don't even care if they're in crappy condition because I've gotten really good at refinishing.

I like the controls of the Mossberg better than Remington but my 870 fits my body better than the 590A1 I used to have. My dad and his wife have a Mossberg Maverick 88 that cost about $200 and it's a great gun for the money. Perfect for no BS home defense. The M88 has the safety on the trigger guard instead of on the receiver so it's better suited to using a pistol grip than a 500. The forend is pinned to the action bars and can't be changed so keep that in mind. I agree with getting something to carry extra ammo and a light but I'm not on board with the laser at all. Too many people think of lasers as a substitute for aiming like teenagers think of Axe body spray as a substitute for bathing. If you have a small house, it will be difficult to zero the laser for that distance anyway. What I suggest is that you get a laser bore sight cartridge. It will help you understand where your point of aim and point of impact are in any environment without having to blow holes in your walls. It also doubles as a toy for your cat if you have one! My cat loves it.

Personally, if I had a $500 budget and had to buy one shotgun, I would get an 870 but they're not always 100% reliable from the factory. Rough chambers and ejection problems. That's not an issue for me though because I've successfully polished chambers and solved problems like that before. The 870 is more ergonomic to me than the 500/590 but they're both great guns. As for the 887, I held one once at a gun show and it was really bulky and heavy. Kind of like the Benelli Nova Tactical I used to have. Fantastic gun in terms of reliability but it was really bulky, heavy and the stock and the reach to the forend was way too long for me. I haven't handled a Stoeger or Weatherby. I hear good things about the PA459. I considered buying one for a while but I prefer traditional stocks.

If you are looking for hd I agree that used is not a bad word. Give it a good look over and if Its in hood shape go for it.

Remember many hd shotguns aren't fired much and spend a lot of time in the safe, under the bed. In the closet, so a used one might be in very good shape.

I got a used mossberg for 150 that looked like it still had the factory rust inhibiter in it.

(Lawrence County)

my issue is that i have been told by two people i know to avoid mossberg.
    And you usually get what you pay for. I want to take some time and figure out if I want to spend $419 on the weatherby or save some money up front and get a mossberg and get a tactical grip and side saddles later and end up spending the same amount. the problem is the idiots in DC are trying to ban pistol grips too (unless im mistaken) and next week that weatherby may be out of my reach along with any other pistol grip.

i guess i am worried that the mossberg wont hold up or wont be worth anything down the road if i want to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by twoifbysea View Post
    my issue is that i have been told by two people i know to avoid mossberg.
    And you usually get what you pay for. I want to take some time and figure out if I want to spend $419 on the weatherby or save some money up front and get a mossberg and get a tactical grip and side saddles later and end up spending the same amount. the problem is the idiots in DC are trying to ban pistol grips too (unless im mistaken) and next week that weatherby may be out of my reach along with any other pistol grip.

i guess i am worried that the mossberg wont hold up or wont be worth anything down the road if i want to sell it.
    Do the two people that told you that own Mossbergs? Just curious. When it comes to rifles, I would stay away from Mossberg. When it comes to Shotguns, that's a different story. I have had my Mossberg 500 for years, and have not exactly treated it excellently. I didn't beat it, but I didn't pamper it by a longshot. It was my first gun and I learned by experience about caring for my guns properly. Needless to say, the Mossberg has been unquestionably reliable, and it is smooth and simple, and dirt cheap. I would definitely recommend a pump action for home defense. With a shotgun, keeping it simple is smarter, and besides that I have shot many semi-auto shotguns (some expensive, some not including Benelli, Mossberg, Remington, etc), and have experienced some sort of jam at one point or another with ALL of them. Never had any issue from my $200.00 Mossberg pump action, ever. It's a 5+1 capacity and will take loads strong enough to put down any armed assailant you hopefully will never encounter. I'd recommend saving the $$ and getting a Mossberg, if you don't like it you can ALWAYS sell a Mossberg.

(Crawford County)

I grabbed a used Mossberg 500 for what I considered to be a fair price considering the condition of the weapon and what I intend to do to it, and I couldn't be happier with a shotgun.

Mossberg 500s have all sorts of aftermarket goodies you can add to the basic platform to turn it into just about any style shotty you could possibly want. Various length barrels, including rifled sluggers, all sorts of different stocks and foregrips, different iron sights and scopes, and even lights and lasers if you want (I'm considering a flashlight, myself).

My first step is a collapsible stock and foregrip to compensate for the fact I have arms like a gorilla. I always need a stock extension for any long arm I use, and I found an aftemarket "tactical" stock that actually fits me perfectly. It even has recoil springs! Take the kick right out of 3" double aught buck...
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Lawrence County)

ok so i was undecided even after talking to you guys, and i was still when i walked in the door of the last gun store that i visited. sunday i ended up at Anthony arms in West Mifflin. (incidentally my cousin works there part time so luckily he was there for advice) i handled the remington 887...nice gun...barrel was too long for my liking. Winchester SXP defender.. I almost bought it but, i was afraid that mod parts were not going to be readily available.
    so I ended up with a Mossberg 500 6+1 cruiser. not wanting ONLY a pistol grip i also bought a Blackhawk specops adjustable stock and grip. it has a FAB fore-end with 3 picatinny rails (2 half length and 1 full length) ...next up...light and side saddles!

Congrats on the purchase, you will be happy with it.

(Carbon County)

most used hd guns are like new anyways, people buy them and they sit next to the bed....used is a great option

(Monroe County)

Couple years ago I picked up a Winchester Police Stainless .... supposedly PSP trade in.

16" barrel, 7 +1 round cap (slugs, 00 buck, 12 mini shells) short stock and in very good condition. Also rather light. Doesn't do the trigger hold and pump like the 870's and has a feature you have to get used to, pull the trigger and the slide opens (spring loaded). Once you get used to it .... it puts lead downrange fast.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast