Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Crawford County)

Default Gonna need a new handgun...

So I had a brief financial emergency that resulted in my trading/selling my semi-automatic in exchange for a good shotgun and some cash (enough to overcome the financial hurdle).

Now I'm in the market for an eventual new purchase of a handgun. Not planning on buying until the end of next month, so I have plenty of time to shop. I would prefer a revolver over a semi-automatic this time, due to the fact I just prefer to keep things as simple as possible.

My question is what opinions do y'all have on the different calibers available? As my sig line says, I prefer to shoot one and done, rather than doing repeated shots (my new shotty is currently loaded with alternating 00buck and rifled slug). So should I be looking at a .45/.410? Or would a .357 serve? Perhaps a .38+P? I'm probably not going to go back to a 9mm, since I wasn't real impressed the one time I actually needed it.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Erie County)

Default Re: Gonna need a new handgun...

10mm it hits the hardest.
    live to ride

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjp View Post
    10mm it hits the hardest.
    OK, who makes a revolver in 10mm? Preferably with a 6.5" barrel?

(Montgomery County)

S&W M57 in 41 mag. 6" barrel. Flat shooting and they do not get up again. I have the 6" and 8 3/8 versions in blue. Very accurate and you can reload a wide range of velocities. I even have 0.41 specials loaded with the correct head stamp. Dave_n

Are you going to carry this revolver? CC, only, eliminates a bunch of guns unless you conceal in a jacket or something. Everyone knows the punch of the 357 mag, even out of a lightweight snubbie, and if you reload, you can use a slower burning powder to get all the goodie out of your short barrel. Of course, there is the .44 mag, which is very affective, as well. Both the magnums, as you know, will shoot specials, model of gun permitting, of course, and will save a few $$$, if you shoot often. Taurus has a few good revolvers if you're on a budget, but for some reason, ever since they started making some really nice stuff, I can't justify them as being the budget guns they were. Still, they are less expensive compared to a TOG's.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    S&W M57 in 41 mag. 6" barrel. Flat shooting and they do not get up again. I have the 6" and 8 3/8 versions in blue. Very accurate and you can reload a wide range of velocities. I even have 0.41 specials loaded with the correct head stamp. Dave_n
    Ah yes; good one, as well.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    Very nice...and completely out of my price range before graduation. Looking more in the $450 range.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Are you going to carry this revolver? CC, only, eliminates a bunch of guns unless you conceal in a jacket or something. Everyone knows the punch of the 357 mag, even out of a lightweight snubbie, and if you reload, you can use a slower burning powder to get all the goodie out of your short barrel. Of course, there is the .44 mag, which is very affective, as well. Both the magnums, as you know, will shoot specials, model of gun permitting, of course, and will save a few $$$, if you shoot often. Taurus has a few good revolvers if you're on a budget, but for some reason, ever since they started making some really nice stuff, I can't justify them as being the budget guns they were. Still, they are less expensive compared to a TOG's.
    Be an OC/CC depending on how my shirt or jacket falls. Not gonna turn down a reliable weapon just because it doesn't hide that well. Actually prefer a 4" or more barrel, anyway. If I have to, I'll strap the sucker to my leg in a good retention holster and to heck with anyone who's 'offended' by my carrying a pistol out in the open.

(Crawford County)

Actually considering a Rossi .357 mag. Been in serious lust over a Rossi Circuit Judge .45/.410 for quite some time now anyway. Just never had the spare cash to pick one up....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast