Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Act 235 Course

(Philadelphia County)

Default Act 235 Course

Does anyone know of the equipment that is generally needed for this certification? I know you need a strong side belt holster, but would a paddle holster be acceptable too?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Act 235 Course

I don't see why it wouldn't. Ask when you sign up for the training, if you need something else you will have time to get it. I went with a nylon holster on my belt nothing was said. I didn't buy a retention holster and duty belt until I got hired and found out what the company required.

(Washington County)

A good holster, mag pouch and 100 rounds of factory ammo.

The holster doesn't matter too much for this certification. It's mostly pistol,mags and ammo.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Lehigh County)

Like the post above states, you should have a strong side holster, at least 3 mags, a double mag pouch and what ever ammo is needed (the instructor will tell you how much ammo you need to bring for the class).

You should consider a good holster and mag pouch set up.

A paddle holster should be fine.

AG

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by xx AG xx View Post
    Like the post above states, you should have a strong side holster, at least 3 mags, a double mag pouch and what ever ammo is needed (the instructor will tell you how much ammo you need to bring for the class).

You should consider a good holster and mag pouch set up.

A paddle holster should be fine.

AG
    Do the size of the mags matter? I have 3 10 round mags and 1 17 round mag that came with the gun. Its a compact so the 17 rounder sticks out and I only carry it for emergencies obviously. If you need to reload you want to reload into a higher capacity mag.
    Which reminds me. I probably should buy 1 or 2 more of those as well eventually.

(Northampton County)

Do you have a job lined up? Don't spend money until you know what the job requires as far as handguns & magazines.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Do you have a job lined up? Don't spend money until you know what the job requires as far as handguns & magazines.
    Yes. I already work for a security company and they expressed interest in me getting my act 235. I also wouldn't mind getting it just to bolster my resume. 300 dollars plus ammo and the possibility of having to buy a few other parts doesn't bother me and is quite easily within my affordability.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    Yes. I already work for a security company and they expressed interest in me getting my act 235. I also wouldn't mind getting it just to bolster my resume. 300 dollars plus ammo and the possibility of having to buy a few other parts doesn't bother me and is quite easily within my affordability.
    I just wanted to bring it to your attention. The armored truck co. that I worked for had specs about overall lenght & height for you pistol, certain calibers were banned, & no safeties or decokers. Also we could only have 15 rd. mags and certain ammo because we went into NJ.
    Last edited by jerryg; December 29th, 2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: forgot something

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    I just wanted to bring it to your attention. The armored truck co. that I worked for had specs about overall lenght & height for you pistol, certain calibers were banned, & no safeties or decokers.
    So essentially they wanted you to essentially carry a full sized glock? Safeties are irrelevant if you have them all off in the first place. I suppose I could ask what kind of pistol they would want me to carry especially since even though I can put in the full sized magazines in my gun it is a compact version of it. It also has a mag safety and external rail safety which I usually keep off when I carry anyways. It however is a single action pistol and a 9mm. Usually can't go wrong with 9mm.

I work for G4S and they don't even really provide rules on how to wear their uniforms much less anything else save for shaving your face.

(Northampton County)

I carried a Glock 19. I bet they do have rules because their insurance company would demand it. It would probably say no 44 mag, 10mm & 5.7.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast