Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 RIFLES

Default .22 RIFLES

I'm looking for a new one as I only have a single shot. I've had a Marlin 60 stainless before and lean in that direction but am considering all of them. I know the 10/22 has accesories up the wazoo but I'm not looking for a tactical rimfire, just a wood stock rifle...matbe a scope in the future. I'm mostly going to plink with it but would hunt rabbit and squirrel and erraticate my buddies farm of chipmunks. I would like to keep it under $200 for the rifle and would like to keep it simple as well.

Default Re: .22 RIFLES

If the frenzy wasn't currently in full force, I would say go down to your local gun store or pawn shop. Lotsa nice .22 bolt actions for sale around that price. I own three myself. I have two 22 LR bolt actions with a 15 round tubular magazine. Those are both about 50-70 years old and were gifted to me from my grandpa. T

he third one I have is a .22 magnum that I picked up for small game hunting. Haven't used that one nearly as much as I thought I would but still happy with it. It also is a bolt action with a tubular magazine.

The big suggestion I can make is to get a bolt action with a tubular magazine. Of those three rifles I have, I have not once had a feed problem or a jam. On the other hand, I've had friends with semi-auto's and magazine fed bolt actions who have had nothing but trouble with their rifles.

My personal opinion, nothing more, but since you aren't going to be shooting at anything much over 50-100 yards, why use a scope? Iron sights are much more fun. Again, personal opinion.

Well, the 10/22, especially the older wood stocks, are very nice looking and don't need to go tactical. Also, if you're going to shoot any animal with it in PA, then the 10/22 and ANY semi-auto rifle is out. You can't hunt with a semi-auto rifle in PA.

For under $200, you probably have two options. The used market, or Dick's when they have a big sale. (Insert the profane reprimands to me here). Actually, Dick's is preparing for a total restock. Everything is on sale and they are clearing out the shelves. A dealer once told me that Dec/Jan was the best time to buy a gun, because dealers had to clear them out, or pay taxes on them. Not sure I understand what's behind that, but also not sure why he would make it up.

Anyway, LGSs usually have a decent selection of used 22s and unless you're looking for dime-size accuracy, almost any of them will do. I bought an older Remington and Mossberg last year. The key to some of the older models is to use Standard Velocity (SV) ammo and not the High Velocity (HV), Mini-Mags, etc. In fact, older pistols like the S&W Model 41 almost demand SV or the breech could be demaged with prolonged use. Also, older guns are typically much more accurate with SV ammo.

Lastly, for the size game you are talking about and the budget you have, you might consider air rifles. Some of them can really lay em in there and the ammo is certainly cheap enough
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Montgomery County)

I wanted a Marlin Model 60 and looked for months and could not find one. I ended up buying a Ruger 10/22 and really like it.

The squirrels <were> eating/chewing on the wood siding on my house.

Good point josey. The tax thing is at the end of the year the FFL holder has to pay tax on anything they have in stock at their shop. I do believe that PA has stopped that recently.

Sniper061:
    I recently sold my 17hmr just cause I wasn't using it for hunting as it was intended for that when I bought it. I just decided to go with the .22 cause I have one already and would just like something newer with more mag capacity.
    Do you have any recommendations for a bolt with tube feed?
    Last edited by *Klutch*; December 27th, 2012 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Good point josey. The tax thing is at the end of the year the FFL holder has to pay tax on anything they have in stock at their shop. I do believe that PA has stopped that recently.

Sniper061:
    I recently sold my 17hmr just cause I wasn't using it for hunting as it was intended for that when I bought it. I just decided to go with the .22 cause I have one already and would just like something newer with more mag capacity.
    Do you have any recommendations for a bolt with tube feed?
    Well the two .22's I have are Marlin Model 81's. One I *think* is a BE model made around 1943. No idea on the other one. Also looking at the stamp on the side, both of them can fire S, L, and LR ammo. Just looking online your average price for one would be in the $75-$150 range depending on the quality. These are tough and simple rifles so you don't have to find one that is showroom perfect to give you good results. In fact, one of mine looks to be in pretty rough shape but is the better shooter of the two.

As for the .22 Mag, that one is a Marlin Model 983T. I bought it new and it has a synthetic stock. Unlike the 81s, it can only shoot magnum ammo. Still a great rifle though and can be had for around $200 new.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...agnum/983T.asp

So, there ya have it. Stick to a Marlin. The bolt action tubular magazine rifles are simple and durable. If you buy one used, then check it as soon as you can by running a full magazine through it just to make sure it is feeding properly. If it is then it should work for you until it falls apart.

(Lehigh County)

I have a Marlin 781 that I inherited from my dad. No idea of a price, but that thing's a tack driver, even with ironsights.

I also have a Marlin 60 that I picked up at Cabelas on Black Friday a few years ago for less than $100. That's a great little semi-auto that's a ton of fun to shoot as well.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

(Northampton County)

If you get up by Nazareth, Jake's gun shop has 6-8 for sale in that range as of last week.
    The question is, will you be on your feet or your knees?

(Clearfield County)

The older 22s are well made and continue to climb in value. I just bought 2 Mossbergs, one made in the 50s the other in the 40s. They shoot great, have a screw adjustable trigger, and have real walnut stocks. Here is a 146 that I bought for $175. You never lose money on these where a new gun is worth less as soon as you walk out of the shop. Good luck with whatever you chose.

Here are 5 shots from 50 yards with the iron sights. This rifle is also grooved for a scope as well.

(Somerset County)

Savage Mark II in whatever stock/barrel combination floats your boat.

Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast