Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kel-TEC PF9, Snappy Little Gun

Shot mine for the first time on Christmas Day. Some things I noticed...

- Very snappy
    - Shot low

* Shot Hornady Critical Defense 115gr. no issues
    * Shot American Eagle 115gr. FMJ one FTF. It struck the primer it just didn't go off.

In all we shot 4 clips through it. All rounds fed fine into the chamber. This isn't a range toy. I'll be getting the grip for this little gun. This is a shoot it to get practice then keep it for CC purposes only.
    Last edited by PA1936MN; December 27th, 2012 at 05:30 AM.

(York County)

Default Re: Kel-TEC PF9, Snappy Little Gun

Great lil handgun. Very easy to hide if CCW.
    My only complaints is the longer trigger pull and snappy shot. However, with a firearms this small and light weight its expected.
    Never stop fighting for what you believe is right. Fight until Hell freezes over and then fight on the ice!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    Shot mine for the first time on Christmas Day. Some things I noticed...

- Shot low
    It's real easy to pull your shots low on guns like that if you anticipate the recoil. Just to make sure it's not you, grip the gun tighter than you would a full size metal handgun. Also, pull the trigger painfully slow while holding it steady on target. You may discover that it does shoot to point of aim.
    Toujours prêt

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    This isn't a range toy.
    That about sums it up.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    It's real easy to pull your shots low on guns like that if you anticipate the recoil. Just to make sure it's not you, grip the gun tighter than you would a full size metal handgun. Also, pull the trigger painfully slow while holding it steady on target. You may discover that it does shoot to point of aim.
    yep good advice here, sounds like you may be anticipating the recoil and breaking the wrist forward...

its 9mm just get a solid proper grip...also i think you put 4 "magazines" through it

(Northampton County)

I've got one and like it for reasons stated. I had a PPK 380 and didn't like the twisting recoil I felt. Difficult second shot. The Kel-Tec, With more fire power seems more controllable. (Personal opinion). I have fairly large hands and found putting a cut bicycle tube around the grip helped a lot.
    Never had a FTF or jam.
    The question is, will you be on your feet or your knees?

(Carbon County)

i had one...hated it, sold it...bought another one, because i wanted to like it. the trigger will rip your finger off after 200 rounds at the range. either get the steel trigger kit...huge difference, or put heat shrink on it to help ease the tearing off of the finger feel. i also added the houge slip on rubber grip. after that, the gun shoots great with no problems ever. i still hate it though...lol. carry gun, absolutly....range gun.....only if you want to re skin graph your finger

(Fayette County)

If you're only shooting 4 mags through it in a range session, you might eventually get used to the snappy/sharp recoil. I got the grip initially too, but then after a while, I went back to just the regular thin PF9. After five or six range sessions, I became accustomed to the recoil.

It's still a sharp recoil for sure, but it doesn't bother me anywhere like it did at the beginning. Yes, YMMV, but hope it gets better for you.

(Allegheny County)

I've been carrying a PF9 for a few months now. At first I didn't like it. It had a 100% failure rate out of the box which really turned me off. Sent it back to keltec for repairs and it's been good since, but I still can't get past the problems I had at first.

The main reason I haven't replaced it yet is simple. I don't have the money for something new. That said I have gotten quite good with it. Even with the horribly long trigger pull the last range session I managed a 3-4 inch group at 25 yards. All headshots on a silhouette target. So I know the gun is accurate enough for ccw purposes. The main issue I have with it is the reliability.

(Philadelphia County)

The PF9 definitely isn't a range toy. I shot 57 rounds through my Dad's PF9 and my hand was stinging. It is, however, a great low-cost CCW pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast