Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: PA Rifle Purchase by NYC resident

Quote Originally Posted by .357MagNYC View Post
    Thanks for all your advice, everyone. I guess I shouldn't give up hope yet, at least until I've asked around and given it a try.
    Exactly. Don't give up hope yet. I know how intimidating it can be coming from an anti-2A state. You are not trying to do anything wrong, look for the right people and be straight up with them.

(Lehigh County)

I had a friend who went through the same thing. FFL wanted to see some kind of proof of residency before completing the transaction. He took a utility bill and tax bill for his vacation home and that sufficed. Although he was only buying a bolt-action rifle and a shotgun, not anything that would be considered under a weapons ban. That could muddy the water further.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    No they won't. If an FFL sells a long gun to a resident of a different state they MUST make sure the long gun is legal in his state of residency. (I am not an FFL or lawyer, but them's the rules in general).

A NYC ID will not allow him to buy long guns that are illegal in NY. He has to demonstrate to the FFL that he is a part time resident of PA to buy banned long guns, hand guns, machineguns, silencers, or anything else that are illegal in NY.
    I asked direct question at Gander located in Dixon city. "i am resident of NYC. Can I buy a rifle?" answer "you can buy any long rifle".

I am not saying what is legal or what is not. I am sharing personal experience. I have to say that gander prices are not for my wallet.
    Last edited by BB MBD; December 25th, 2012 at 11:01 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by BB MBD View Post
    I asked direct question at Gander located in Dixon city. "i am resident of NYC. Can I buy a rifle?" answer "you can buy any long rifle".

I am not saying what is legal or what is not.
    I know of a dealer that was in Broadheadsville that told the NJ guys flat out no when they asked him if they could buy an AR or AK, he said that they were not NJ compliant.

^ That's the thing, though: all the rifles I want are certainly NY compliant (at least for now--no telling what Cuomo is going to do), it's just that I'm not allowed to bring them into NYC according to the NYC Administrative Code.

NYC bans anything that takes over a 5-round magazine, and bans rifles with any one "scary feature" (i.e., bayonet mount, barrel shroud). So a lever-action .357 needs to have the internal magazine crimped to hold only 5 rounds, and an M1 Garand would need to have its bayonet mount ground off (and I'm not sure if even that would satisfy the NYPD).

Basically, you can only bring a bolt-action or a 5-round Ruger Mini-14 Rancher into NYC. Outside of NYC, however, the choice is much broader, and I know many New Yorkers who keep their rifles upstate or on Long Island.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12